Metroguide Vs. City Select

BGunner01

I am currently using Garmin Mapsource Metroguide USA. I've downloaded all the software updates and for the last couple of years it has provided all the functionality that I really need.

However, I'm considering upgrading to a new Garmin GPSMap 60C and when looking at the 60C website I notice they don't even list Metroguide USA as one of their recommended Mapsource products. They do recommend City Select North America V5 and it appears that maybe City Select is a replacement product for Metroguide. I've learned (primarily from these forums) that Metroguide will work if I purchase a 60C, but I'm wondering if maybe I should upgrade to City Select. I must admit that I can't readily see a big difference between Metrogiude USA and City Select North America.

My questions are:

1. Are there any significant differences between the two products such that should I consider one over the other?

2. Is City Select ultimately a replacement product for Metroguide USA?

Thanks a bunch for any insight you can offer ... :)

Edited by bgunner01

They are very similar, but not the same. MetroGuide has some of the foot trails, while CitySelect doesn't, for instance.

As for MG "working", it depends on what you mean. You will be able to upload maps from it, but the auto-routing may or may not work, depending on which version of MG you have, and people have reported problems with the autorouting with versions that do "work".

I'd go with CS if I were you. It's supported, it has more current POI data and it works.

From Garmin's website:

City Select provides detailed maps of major metro areas as well as rural coverage. Each CD also contains points of interest and automatic routing, giving you the capability to generate point-to-point routes in MapSource and on compatible Garmin units.The CD is included with the purchase of several Garmin units, including the GPS V and iQue 3600. It is also recommended for use with the GPSMAP 196 and GPSMAP 60C/60CS.

MetroGuide This CD offers similar coverage as City Select, including points of interest. It also provides automatic route calculation for select products on the PC only (Australia excluded). The main difference is its compatibility with Garmin units that do not have automatic route capability, such as the eTrex® Legend, eTrex Vista, GPSMAP 76/76S, GPSMAP 176, Rino® 120 and Rino 130.

Clear? Not really, but I think this means that they have similar coverage, but City Select supports autorouting on those units that have the feature (like the GPS V), but MetroGuide doesn't. I also noticed that MetroGuide was not listed as compatible with the 60C. I'm not sure if that means it won't work period, or if it means that they feel City Select is simply a better product for the 60C.

As far as I know, they are simply separate products and CS is not a replacement for MG. You can call Garmin's customer service and I'm sure they will have the answers for you.

I have a  legend, I know that it will not do autorouting.  If I buy city select can I lay a route down on my pc and then load it onto the gps.  For example say I wanted to go from Bradford PA to Cherry Hill NJ.  Or would it just be more of a reference tool?

MG 5 is basically intended to allow the user to create autoroutes on the PC and then download the route to a non-autorouting unit. It has the same data as City Select, w/o the ability to download autoroutes to a autorouting unit. The downloaded routes will have waypoints a major maneuvers, but will be a straight line route between these maneuvers. There is no reason to buy City Select if you don't own a autorouting unit, buy MG 5 instead. If you have an autorouting unit, then City Select is the way to go.

MG 4 will autoroute on both the PC and on autorouting GPSrs. However, MG 4's data is old and even when it wasn't, it wasn't as good as City Select, however it does have some types of data (foot path, some marine stuff) that neither City Select or MG 5 has.