How long for approval

user13371

quote:
Originally posted by flask:

expect a virtual to take longer.

I wonder why that is. Any idea how to smooth the process?

Mine is a virtual -- to find a specific object in a small town business district.

To prove you found the thing I'm talking about, you have to answer a riddle about it. Additionally, I invited users to make up their own riddles to post on the cache page.

Should I expect problems or delays with that kind of arrangement?

quote:
Originally posted by Lee David Rimar

Should I expect problems or delays with that kind of arrangement?

The approvers will take more time to look over virtuals. This is suppose to keep virtuals out of places phyisical caches could be placed.

If you're questioned by an approver, please be polite and answer all question in full detail(being vauge and not responding tends to slow things down).

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

Most caches are approved in a day, or two max.

Check your page to see if it is on "hold" or archived. If it's on hold, that usually means the approver is discussing its merits with other approvers.

It's pretty hard to get a virtual approved these days. It has to be something that is unique AND where it's impossible to hide a real cache.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

quote:

It's pretty hard to get a virtual approved these days. It has to be something that is unique AND where it's impossible to hide a real cache.

Mine would qualify on both counts. It might not be unique, but it is odd. And the sidewalk of a business district doesn't lend itself to hiding things very well.

quote:

... if it's on hold, that usually means the approver is discussing its merits with other approvers.

Yup, on hold. So if they say "no," do I appeal to the (dis)approver? Or do I get one of those "Should this cache be approved" poll? I'd hate to do that, because explaining it would spoil the riddle.

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

...approvers will take more time to look over virtuals. If you're questioned by an approver, please be polite and answer all question in full detail(being vauge and not responding tends to slow things down).

I missed your note before I posted my last one - thanks for the advice.

quote:
Originally posted by Lee David Rimar:

And the sidewalk of a business district doesn't lend itself to hiding things very well.

OK, forgive me if I'm missing something, but you have found 5 caches in 2 yrs? Try looking for some urban caches before you say that. There are TONS of places to hide a cache. Come out here and check out all the ones in NYC. Or visit Disney and checkout the clever ones hidden there.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

...forgive me if I'm missing something, but you have found 5 caches in 2 yrs? Try looking for some urban caches before you say that.

Yup. It's not that I go out every day and just can't find them. It's more that I don't spend very much time at it.

As it is such a casual hobby for me, after a couple of years I'm still quite a beginner.

quote:
There are TONS of places to hide a cache. ... check out all the ones in NYC. Or visit Disney ...

Oh, I don't doubt that at all. And I'm sure even downtown Lake Orion offers some interesting nooks and crannies; though probably not nearly as many as NYC. And even in light of that, I still believe that the spot I've have marked as a virtual is interesting enough to merit it.

Now, forgive me if I'm missing something here, but what was the thrust of your message? To provide information about getting a cache approved, or just to razz me for not being experienced/dedicated enough?

quote:
Now, forgive me if I'm missing something here, but what was the thrust of your message? To provide information about getting a cache approved, or just to razz me for not being experienced/dedicated enough?

What Mopar was trying to say was that with only 5 finds, you may not be aware of the various and sometimes ingenious methods people use to hide real caches in high traffic areas.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

quote:
What Mopar was trying to say was that with only 5 finds, you may not be aware of the various and sometimes ingenious methods people use to hide real caches in high traffic areas.

Brian,

I understood and admitted that, wasn't asking WHAT he said. I was trying to find its relevance to my original question.

This is gonna slide into an off-topic screed (maybe titled How NOT to discourage beginners.) but I promise to get back on topic before I close this note.

As this IS a "beginner's" forum, I'm delighted if someone declares "I know more than you, let me help." But if they stop at the comma it's not especially helpful.

It seems to me this is what Mopar (and you) have done. Pointed out the obvious: There are many ways to hide "real" urban caches. Didn't describe any, just remarked that I likely didn't know them. Didn't bridge this into to answering my question about a virtual.

C'mon people, is this constructive?

Now, to get back on topic: I have posted a virtual cache in an urban area. Actually, "urban" is stretching it -- say "downtown" in a small village.

Whether or not there are opportunities for placing real caches nearby is not really the point, because I believe this virtual has merits of its own -- a worthwhile thing for people to look for.

I do feel my original questions have been answered helpfully by others in this thread. But do you have any additional suggestions on how to smooth the approval process for a virtual?

quote:
As this IS a "beginner's" forum, I'm delighted if someone declares "I know more than you, let me help." But if they stop at the comma it's not especially helpful.

I'll try to start after the comma. icon_wink.gif

I haven't hidden as many as some who may be responding to this post, but three of my four caches were approved within 24 hours - and the fourth within 48 hours. Both of my virtuals were within 24 hours, but I suppose it was partly because it was obvious to the reviewers that they had to be virtual because they are located in a wildlife refuge.

Smoothing the process? My experience has been that I'm surprised the administrators get them approved as quickly as they do. They do a great job and I'm quite satisfied.

Hopefully, by the time you read this yours will will have already been approved.

I thought my original response answered your original question. Admins are cracking down on virtuals and usually won't approve one where a real cache can be hidden. You responded that because it was on a sidewalk in a business district a real cache was not an option.

Mopar's post then became relevant, as he pointed out that it was possible to hide caches in high traffic areas and thought your relative inexperience might have been the reason you weren't aware of this. He wasn't razzing you.

I'm not sure what you mean by "stopping after the comma", as I answered your question to the best of my ability. As I understood it, your question was about the length of time it was taking for your cache to be approved.

If you want advice about how to hide a real cache in the area, that's not my forte (I'm more an ammo box in the forest guy). Perhaps you can start a thread asking for advice on how to place a real cache in a high traffic area. There are a lot of people who are very good at this and would be happy to help.

In short, these caches are usually log only and placed in 35mm film canisters, small, waterproof cylinders, altoids tins, AOL tins and similar small containers. They often involve the use of powerful magnets, camoflage, or ingenious hiding places.

If your cache is not approved, this may be the way to go.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

...In short, these caches are usually log only and placed in 35mm film canisters, small waterproof cylinders, altoids tins, AOL tins and similar small containers. They often involve the use of powerful magnets, camoflage, or ingenious hiding places.

If your cache is not approved, this may be the way to go.

I agree with Brian. If your cache is disapproved, you may also consider making it an offset cache where the hunter must go to the 'odd' location to find information with which they must compute the coordinates for the cache. Theese are very fun, can be quite challenging, and will get cachers to check out your location.

My advice to you is to first contact the admin who has put your cache on hold to try to work through the issue. Identify your cache by the cache ID. Explain your reasoning that you believe it would not be appropriate for a physical cache. Be reasonable and calm. I've found the admins to be generally easy to work with.

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

...you may also consider making it an offset cache where the hunter must go to the 'odd' location to find information with which they must compute the coordinates for the cache.

Thanks for the advice. The nature of this virtual could work well for that, I'd just have to decide where the other "real" cache should go.

I guess the time varies, but I posted two virtuals on Sunday, and they were approved the following morning (yesterday).

it depends on where you are, how often the approvers can get online, the volume of new caches they get, and the "clarity" of your cache. The more questions you can answer up front, the less the approver has to ask.

I have had five caches approved in the last 3 months, including 3 virtuals, and none took more than 48 hours.

YMMV!

Good luck,

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

quote:
Regarding virtuals, Brian Snat mentioned:

It has to be something that is unique AND where it's impossible to hide a real cache.

Brian, thanks for the followup. Do you have some idea why that is so?

Any idea what that "admin bias" against virtuals stems from, if there really is such a thing? I can't find anything about it written up in the FAQ or guidelines for placing a cache.

It seems to me there are a lot of advantages to virtuals.

quote:

...contact the admin who has put your cache on hold to try to work through the issue.

Thanks, I'll do that if it sits on hold for a few more days. At the moment the admin has prefixed my cache's nme with "Hold #MI-T:" but nothing down in the approval or comments. Can you tell me how to use that to figure out which person to contact?

quote:
Brian, thanks for the followup. Do you have some idea why that is so?

Any idea what that "admin bias" against virtuals stems from, if there really is such a thing? I can't find anything about it written up in the FAQ or guidelines for placing a cache.

The main reason is that people were making virtauls out of every roadside marker, sign and statue, regardless of how interesting, or unusual. Things were simply getting out of hand.

Another reason is that as the authorities become aware of geocaching many have problems with the concept (they've been banned some places and heavily restricted in others). They are also aware of virtual caches and see them as an acceptable compromise. So when geocachers attempt to negotiate with them to allow the placement of geocaches, they point to virtuals as an acceptable alternative. This makes it harder to have real caches allowed in many areas.

The fear is that soon most places will only allow virtuals, which would make this site not much different from www.waypoint.org (which is just a listing of interesting places).

One more reason is that there is a general feeling among the admins (and many geocachers) that real caches are superior to virtual caches.

By placing a virtual in an area, it could take away a perfectly good spot for a real cache.

quote:

quote:

...contact the admin who has put your cache on hold to try to work through the issue.

Thanks, I'll do that if it sits on hold for a few more days. At the moment the admin has prefixed my cache's nme with "Hold #MI-T:" but nothing down in the approval or comments. Can you tell me how to use that to figure out which person to contact?

That would mean that the approver's username is MI-T (or maybe it's #MI-T, I'm not 100% sure since I don't have any currently on hold and am dependent on my memory). icon_smile.gif It's a note to other admins that they're working on it.

You might also check the bottom of your cache page. Once it is approved, the admins name will appear at the bottom (when viewed by the cache owner). I don't know for sure if this is true for a cache that is on hold.

If you cannot figure out which admin to contact and you do not receive word from them in the next few days, send an email to an admin that has recently approved other caches in your area. If he wasn't the corrcet admin, he may be able to point you in the right direction.

quote:

As this IS a "beginner's" forum, I'm delighted if someone declares _"I know more than you, let me help."_ But if they stop at the comma it's not especially helpful.

It seems to me this is what Mopar (and you) have done. Pointed out the obvious: There are many ways to hide "real" urban caches. Didn't describe any, just remarked that I likely didn't know them. Didn't bridge this into to answering my question about a virtual.

C'mon people, is this constructive?

LDR,

Im sure Mopar (or Brian for that matter) could write several pages, "all about everything to do with micros", but would you really want to read all that?? icon_confused.gif I think Mopar was trying to stay short and to the point, rather than ramble on...

quote:
Now, to get back on topic: I have posted a virtual cache in an urban area. Actually, "urban" is stretching it -- say "downtown" in a small village.

Whether or not there are opportunities for placing real caches nearby is not really the point, because I believe this virtual has merits of its own -- a worthwhile thing for people to look for.

Actually it is the point IMO. If a physical can be placed there, the approver will likely not post your virtual. I think this has been touched on at least a couple times already. icon_wink.gif

quote:
But do you have any additional suggestions on how to smooth the approval process for a virtual?

If it can be a phyiscal cache, make it one, or make it an offset (or maybe part of a multicache). And if it has to be a virtual, explain why. If you dont want everyone to know what/why (like if it would give something away?), then post a log to the cache explaining, and at that top put something like

<b>Approver Please Delete This Note</b>
. Having too much info. isn't known for slowing approval down icon_smile.gif.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

...if it has to be a virtual, explain why. If you dont want everyone to know what/why (like if it would give something away?), then post a log to the cache explaining, and at that top put something like Approver Please Delete This Note

That's a great suggestion, thanks! I wanted to include that kind of info for the admin but wasn't sure how to go about it.

[This message was edited by Lee David Rimar on May 06, 2003 at 03:27 PM.]