Which Mapsource Should I Get ? .....

mixerman

Hi,

I just started getting into GeoCaching, and I have a Garmin eTrex, and I just ordered a pc cable for it. Which Mapsource title should I be looking for? There are so many titles that I'm not sure which would be good for this econo-model, and for caching?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, either replied to this post, or to: Patriot555@aol.com.

Thank you!

:D

If you had a Garmin GPSr with mapping capability, then you would be limited to buying MapSource - because Garmin GPSrs require Garmin maps to be uploaded into them.

But since your model does not have mapping capability, you do not need to use MapSource - although you can if you so desire.

There are other software titles out there that you can use to upload and download your tracks and waypoints, and view them on maps and aerial photos - many of which are FREE!

Here are a few for starters:

USAPhotoMaps

GPS TrackMaker

OziExplorer

GeoCaching Swiss Army Knife

I'm sure many more people will add to the list soon :D

Edited by Neo_Geo

Can you be more specific about which GPS model you have?

If it's the plain yellow eTrex, don't waste money on the MapSource software - you can't use it on your unit. Instead look for a great topo map software for your computer and a freeware program for swapping info between the computer and GPS.

If you have a nicer eTrex, beginning with the Legend, you can install the MapSource products on your GPS.

I bought the USTopo and have found it very helpful. Driving, looking for restaraunts, and shoreline databases aren't in my area of interest.

Happy shopping,

Bob

Bobthearch: You're sort of right. You can use Mapsource with any Garmin GPS, in terms of uploading and downlaoding waypoints, routes and tracks. And then viewing those things on the map in Mapsource. Also creating routes for uploading to the GPS.

But you are right in that the maps in Mapsource can't beloaded onto an eTrex lower than a Legend or Vista.

To the OP: If you do get Mapsource, check out EasyMPS (www.iancowley.co.uk/caching) and GPSBabel (gpsbabel.sourceforge.net) - both excellent tools for manipulating files with waypoints in them :unsure:

Yes, it's the plain yellow eTrex, so I'll be wasting my money buying Mapsource, since I can't load maps into the unit, only waypoints. (?)

:unsure:

You can buy any MapSource map you like, and use it on a PC like a map plotter.

If you order Metroguide, you can do autorouting and drive using the PC, showing your location and routes.

I am not sure if you can buy unlock codes to Bluchart, but if you can, it's a perfect combination in a boat (GPS PC)