Palm Or Pocket PC?

1. I use the "letter recognizer" (much like Graffiti on the Palm platform). There's also a thumb keyboard but you take the PPC out of the case to use it.

What do you mean? I thought there was a software keyboard built into the screen. You use a wand to"click" the letters. Are you saying this keyboard is a Palm type.

The reason I ask is Im replacing a Sharp Organizer with a built-in hardkeyboard that I've mastered with both of my thumbs. I'm not interested in Palm griffitti but will to try a software keyboard.

Do you thin I'll be satisfied?

Tks

Alan

1. I use the "letter recognizer" (much like Graffiti on the Palm platform).  There's also a thumb keyboard but you take the PPC out of the case to use it.

What do you mean? I thought there was a software keyboard built into the screen. You use a wand to"click" the letters. Are you saying this keyboard is a Palm type.

The reason I ask is Im replacing a Sharp Organizer with a built-in hardkeyboard that I've mastered with both of my thumbs. I'm not interested in Palm griffitti but will to try a software keyboard.

Do you thin I'll be satisfied?

Tks

Alan

There are 4 options:

1) Block recognizer (like Graffiti)

2) Keyboard (like you suggested)

3) Letter recognizer (handwriting recognition in a "notebook paper" setting)

4) Transcriber (handwriting recognition that can be written anywhere on the screen)

For the 2215 there is also a small keyboard that attaches to the bottom.

For what it's worth, I think the block recognizer is the fastest for me. Good thing is you have the choice. I have a buddy that only uses the software keyboard.

How do you hook your GPS up to the 2215?

Also, I see HP has a GPS accessory that connects wireless (Bluetooth?) to the 2215. System comes with CD"s with maps and routing programs to be loaded to the 2215? Anyone familiar? Compare to Mapopolis?

Tks

Alan

I have a GPS that goes into the compact flash slot. Cost was about $100.

I don't know how well the software works that comes with that HP unit but if you want to go bluetooth (which is a nice way to go), check out gpscity.com They have a nice shopping section and sell software as well.

Mapopolis gets my pick because of their great customer service/support and the GPXtoMaplet program (free) that converts GPX files to landmarks on the screen that you can navigate to.

Tks. That's great. I just ordered from Amazon - $362 including shipment; no taxes. Problem is they're backordered a couple of weeks. I made a decision to skip getting a Garmin 60CS and use a PDA/Vista combo since I really need a PDA for other things like work (perish the thought) and the Vista which I already have gives me all the other option of tthe 60CS. The 60's color maps and autorouting and extra memory would be handled by the 2215.

I'll try the various software options first before I would go with the keyboard attachment. I don't even know what some of those other input options are you mentioned. :unsure: Guess I'll find out!

What GPS card do you use? Do you use the setup while caching, driving, both,?

I was think along the following line. Dash mount the 2215 along with my Vista which I already dash mount. Connect the two for road routing and then use the Vista mainly for the woods end of the search leaving the 2215 either in the car or in my pocket due to it's greater vulnerability to damage. The only problem with my setup is I would need a special cable to connect the Vista to the 2215 plus a secons extension for the cigarette lighter for power. It might be easier to add the GPS card .

How do you handle it?

Tks again.

Alan

Edited by Alan2

You'll really like the iPaq. :(

I use a GlobalSat 307 compact flash GPS in the iPaq instead of using cables to connect it to a handheld unit. I use the iPaq for daily use and the Mapopolis for routing to and from caches. It makes navigating from cache to cache very easy--almost feels like cheating, though you do still have to use your handheld GPS to find the cache. ;) I also use the Mapopolis for other driving needs such as going to a friend's house I haven't been to in a while, getting home from work in heavy traffic (it auto-reroutes you when you detour), etc.

FYI, I got the GlobalSat on eBay for $100. Works great and includes an external antenna I use from time to time.