External Antenna

aka Monkey

I'm considering picking up an external antenna for my new 60C (when it arrives) from GPSGeek. I'm curious if anyone has any experience with them, or how well they work? Does it run the batteries down much faster? 7 mAh is pretty low, considering my NiMH batteries are rated to 1800 mAh.

I won't do anything until trying i out though, since it'll be my first GPS that isn't using a patch antenna so it should be quite a bit better.

Edited by Indiana Cojones

The external "puck" antenna I used to use for my Meridian Color works very well. Especially if you can't get a good lock from inside your car.

It WILL increase your power consumption:

With batteries only, my GPS runs for 5 hours. With a 12-volt car cord, the batteries eventually fail after a week or two. The antenna and the GPS pull more power than the cord supplies.

Now, I only use the antenna when required.

I would assume some higher battery consumption for the 60c/60cs.

Edited by DustyJacket

I have the external antenna from GPSGeek. I use it in my truck because I have the GPS mounted in a spot that gets poor reception. With the external antenna on the dash I get great reception. Since I only use it in the truck with 12v adapter, I don't have any feel for the extra battery drain.

I have a Mighty-Mouse II external antenna that I have used with my old Magellan 410. That Mag has a removable antenna that then accepts the MM cable plug instead. It significantly improves reception in heavy forest summer canopy.

I sometimes use it atop a 12+ foot tall telescoping golf-ball retriever pole I sometimes carry as a walking stick. Normally I stick it to the top of my sea-captain's cap, using a good sized steel jar lid inside the cap, atop my head, and the magnet-fitted antenna atop the hat, sticking to the jar lid. The 15-foot cable was a pain to deal with, especially in heavy brush, until I found a neat and thin 6-inch spool to keep it wound on. It's also nice to stick the antenna to the car roof (built-in magnet) for mobile use.

It draws 5 ma and produces a significant 20 dB (I think, maybe 10 dB) of gain. It does make the signal strength indicators of the GPS pop up under bad conditions, at times when they are few and very weak without the amplified antenna. I haven't noticed any significant additional battery drain. The Magellan 410 uses 4 batteries, not 2. I don't usually have the GPS turned on for long periods of time, only after I get to the walking part of the search.

I want to get a better, modern GPS, with WAAS etc. and wonder if they will accept the MM antenna plug without resorting to an antenna re-radiator technique.

Edited by Don&Betty

I got the exact same antenna (from GPSGeek) for my eMap. I got it for traveling on airplanes (and trains). The antenna combined with the suction mount is SOOOooooooo much better than holding the GPSr up to the window! It definitely increases signal strength, and generally improves reception. I highly recommend them!

I bought a gpsgeek external for my emap. Hope they are making a lighter one these days. I talked to the owner about the weight. Apparently there was a big metal slug integrated in the antenna base.

Stuck the antenna inside 1/2 of and old startac cellphone case. The side with the clip and then clip it to a baseball cap with the antenna lead run through the hole in the back of the cap. Then to my GPSr, held in a backpack strap case.

Works very well, a big improvement under tree canopy. Well worth it. Great for the car too.

-

Greenjeens