Notes From A First-time Hunt

CDNinCA

I went on my first cache hunt this morning, and have made the following notes to myself:

1) BRING A DOG. I had my trusty Golden Retriever with me, and it sure made me feel a lot less silly about skulking around the local park before dawn. He can also alert me me of impending danger if I'm too engrossed in interpreting my GPS display to notice it for myself.

2) Find a poking stick. I don't know about you, but I wasn't too eager to stick my hand under unfamiliar bushes or into unknown trees in search of micro caches. A little branch that I found on the ground was the perfect tool for the job.

3) Bring a flashlight - even if you don't think you'll need one. Even in broad daylight, a flashlight is handy for looking into and under things.

4) Bring gloves. This, of course, depends on your 'ick' tolerance, but if you're leery about touching squishy, dirty, or decomposing debris, gloves would be good.

5) Wear sturdy pants. And don't wear your favourite pair - you'll probably be getting dirty. Yes, I know - that's half the fun!

6) HAVE FUN! There is nothing like finding that first cache.

Thanks for these great forums - by reading old posts, I learned enough to get up and running right away. This is a blast!

2) Find a poking stick. I don't know about you, but I wasn't too eager to stick my hand under unfamiliar bushes or into unknown trees in search of micro caches. A little branch that I found on the ground was the perfect tool for the job.

I can help you out there. Just click the link below my name. :lol:

El Diablo

Yah, I love number 1. On my first and only successful cache hunt, I had my Golden Retriever with me, and seeing as that it was in a fairly urban area, I didn't feel like such a goof walking up and down a major trail several times looking for a path into the woods...

Dogs are great tools in helping being inconspicuos....

Good notes!

I took my dog Peanut (very small, high energy terrrier) with me today for my first geocache experience. She enjoyed it quite a bit. I also have a greyhound (hence the greyhounder name) who will join me on other treks as well.

A pokey stick is a good idea. And one of your fabulous walking sticks, El Diablo, would have been just the ticket in helping me climb back up the slippery slope after my find (I'll be ordering one soon!)

I was thinking earlier that I need to invest in some good hiking shoes. I used to always buy hiking boots, just because they looked cool, but rarely used them for their correct puprose. Now I can get a pair and put them to good use (I used to have a neat purple and pink pair -- wonder if I can find some just as cool.)

And I wore sweatpants on my adventure and come home with really wet cuffs. This too, is part of the learning process, I believe.

For longer hikes in mixed weather I suggest an emergency poncho as can be purchased from Targ-Mart for about a buck-fifty. about 1/4 inch in thickness it is just a fancy garbage bag (has poncho-style head and armholes) and is very compact until needed. If it's really needed, it's nice to have. If you cache with folk, having a spare makes you out as a lifesaver should the need actually arise.