Tracback

not sure if the garmins are like the magellans but i find the 'trackroute feature' pretty useless. problem is that if you come off the track then the gps refuses to skip track points and gets caught looking for the last point you did not arrive at.

the 'backtrack' feature is ok. it allows me to make a 30 point route from the track. i find that if im doing gis work that i save many routes while recording one track. i do this because i may have 1000 trackpoints which means 30 route of 30 backwaypoints.

not sure how the garmins handle converting a track into a route but you should try it as an experiment before you need the data to avoid risking lost points.

Huh... thats pretty stupid (no offense) about how the Garmins work. To backtrack on my sportrack, you just select "backtrack". You dont have to save it to route or anything. Also, if you miss a point on the track, you can select to skip to the next point. It would be cool if it would do it automatically, but I suppose that could cause some problems.

I'm not aware that on my Garmin Geko 101 that you have to save anything to use the Back Trac feature. You just have to make sure you haven't erased anything. However, given the terrain in my area, I find it much more useful to mark waypoints at important points (like where you parked the car, and where you left the trail). I've found this is particularly important at night. They say that IOWA is an acronym for Idiots Out Wandering Around. This is quite true if you haven't marked your car, and you don't know where you're going.

not sure if the garmins are like the magellans but i find the 'trackroute feature' pretty useless. problem is that if you come off the track then the gps refuses to skip track points and gets caught looking for the last point you did not arrive at.

My Garmin doesn't seem to do this. If I go off track it automatically goes to the next point....at least it seems to. When I shortcutted a loop it picked up the track once I arrived back at it.

Have to agree with briansnat on this. I sometimes use track back on my Legend, then decide to take a somewhat different path. It puts me back on.

Seems to work pretty good for me.

Yuppers.....I started with a Geko 101 before I bought my Legend, and it took me a while to figure out the tracback feature. Never really used it once I figured it out, but since I bought the Legend, I've used it quite a bit, just for fun mostly. Just as it does if I go off a pre-planned route from MapSource software, the tracback also picks up whenever I get back on the track or route. Pretty slick little bit o' gadgetry, IMHO! :unsure:

It's even simpler just to switch to the map display and retrace your route along the track created on the way to the cache. Trak back can sometimes be confusing trying to decide whether "beginning" or "end" should be selected. If you make the wrong choice, Trak Back will not produce the desired results.