Geocache Longevity & Maintenance Issue

PATHer

We have looked for Geocaches in a number of states and we seem to have noticed the following with local geocaches:

1) Maintenance of some caches seems to be non-existant; i.e., cache is filled with water, log book full, missing entirely or repeated people reporting no-finds yet no update provided.

2) Placed geocaches seem to disappear faster than in other areas. We've hidden two off the beaten track but they lasted just about two months (others are still there).

Has anyone else been frustrated looking for a cache that has been gone for a while yet still listed as active, finding a cache that is in dire need of maintenance (and mentioned in the logs) or placing one that disappears? Seems to be more of an issue in the Charlotte area than elsewhere . . . . just a general comment.

WHat have your experiences been?

Team PATH'er

Been there, done that......

I freely admit that one of the caches that I own needs a log book since it has gotten wet. I will be replacing it this week.

None of my caches have ever been stolen (thank goodness). What you have posted is just part of the geocaching experience and why many of us rarely trade items.

If a cache is in poor condition, especially if it cannot be logged (wet logbook, for example), then please file a "should be archived" note. This notifies the cache owner that there's a problem and the volunteer reviewer (me, in the case of North Carolina) gets a forwarded copy of the notice. Generally, if a cache is in poor condition, I will temporarily disable it and write to the owner. If I get no reply in a reasonable period of time, then I'll archive the cache until it's properly maintained.

Logging a should be archived note also helps to identify abandoned caches.

I see in other posts in this forum that the Charlotte group is rebuilding. Maybe you could join them and help raise the standards. I believe there are still many great caches in the area, but sometimes a few poorly maintained ones leaves a sour taste...

I try to place all my caches where they can be checked on either on the way to work or home, if needed. There are some that are not that way , we will replace a wet log book or whatever within 10 days.

The last nine days has been the strangest yet I have had eight caches come up missing, and two were members only and most of my caches are not drive by’s and are placed in out of the way areas, and they were all located in the Franklin TN area

Go figure………………..JOE