Summer Campout Cache Event

Team GPSaxophone

Page 3 update - Just over 2 weeks from the event!

There are campfire rings in the group area. We will have our Saturday night campfire around one of them. We'll figure that out on our next visit to Raton (or on Friday when we setup camp)

Most camping spots for tents are not "in" the group area, but are in a field right next to it. There are a few (about 10-15) parking spaces near the vault toilets (non-flushing types). The rest of the parking will have to be along the "road" that circles the group area.

If you are arriving Friday (recommended) please try and get one of the 24 campsites in the Soda Pocket Campground (located just past the group area). This will allow those coming from further away to arrive Saturday and still have room to park. (CarleenP is coming from east Nebraska, Sparky and Sunshine are coming from east Kansas, some others from Wyoming, etc.)

There are 8 picnic tables (+/-) in the group area. This will be "Event HQ" and the site of the dinner on Sunday night. Please email me or post here what item you would like to bring for this potluck dinner. Hamburgers and hot dogs will be provided by Team GPSaxophone. There is a charcoal grill at event HQ, and we will have a couple of gas grills as well.

I'm working on a schedule of events so people can plan their days at the park. Right now, Friday and Saturday are "free days" where you can decide to explore the park or Raton at your leisure. There are no events planned for either day except for the Saturday night campfire and the optional kids program at 2pm on Saturday hosted by the park rangers.

Sunday's events will start at about 9am to allow everyone to have breakfast either at the campsite or in town. I was thinking of doing the hikes at 9am while it's still cool out. Daytime temperatures should be around 75-80 (it doesn't get too hot due to the elevation) with nighttime temps in the 40s. We would break for lunch from 11-1 (to allow people to go into town for lunch, if desired). The other event(s) would take place from 1 until 5 with dinner starting around 6.

Zoltig (from Northern Colorado) has generously offered to make a donation to help with some of the costs of the event. I want to publicly say "Thank you!" and let others know that any money donated will go towards making this a successful event.

Edited by Team GPSaxophone
I want to publicly say "Thank you!" and let others know that any money donated will go towards making this a successful event.

And I would like to publicly say that any monetary donations to Sparky and Sunshine will go toward gas to get us there, which in turn would make this a successful event. Without us, you guys just aren't gonna have any fun at all.

I want to publicly say "Thank you!" and let others know that any money donated will go towards making this a successful event.

And I would like to publicly say that any monetary donations to Sparky and Sunshine will go toward gas to get us there, which in turn would make this a successful event. Without us, you guys just aren't gonna have any fun at all.

:)

I realize that everyone will be spending money on gas in getting to the event. I'm not asking for donations, which is what I told Zoltig when he emailed me. I'm just saying that if anyone were to donate money, I wouldn't be using it to buy a Jeep for myself. Any money donated will go towards the event.

Edited by Team GPSaxophone

:)

I realize that everyone will be spending money on gas in getting to the event. I'm not asking for donations, which is what I told Zoltig when he emailed me. I'm just saying that if anyone were to donate money, I wouldn't be using it to buy a Jeep for myself. Any money donated will go towards the event.

And I'm just saying that if anyone wants to donate money to me, I will be using it for gas to get there, so that you all will be entertained. If I'm not there, I just can't imagine anyone would have any fun.

It's ok Sparky. I've printed out a big copy of your avatar and we're going to cut it out and use it as a mask. Every night we're going to have a honorary Sparky. We're even thinking about building a wicker man!

Oooooooo!!!!!!!! A wicker Sparky!!!!!!!!!!! How cool!!!!!!!!!! B) Okay, still looks like Sunshine and I will be there, regardless of the gas prices. Only one hurdle left to clear, and that's gonna be a tough one.....my mom is wanting the family to get together so we can go visit dad's grave on Memorial day.......it's been just over a year since he passed away, and last Memorial day they didn't have the headstone set yet, so mom is kinda wanting us all to be there.....she still isn't sure if she's going to go or not, so that's what we're waiting to hear.....

Hmmmm, do I DARE to show up at this one? Sax has promised me my very own fire pit, something about toasting me...or was that "roasting" me?  :)

Will 360's caching career go up in flames?

Stay tuned....

This could get interesting. Who wants to bring the popcorn for the potluck? :D

This could be like the Dean Martins Celebrity Roast!!

This is shaping up better and better all the time!! :D

We can all get "toasted" ( with in reason, of course) and start "Geo Roasting"

a cacher!

ie: "When carleenp started caching,----:D-____________________------------__________Perry Mason had not even finished his BAR exam." [cue the uproarious laugh] (Please excuse my Dean Martin impersonation. It does not type well)

Where is the whiskey?? :D

I am looking to trade or sell my Rino 120. I would like a Vista. I don't need the radio function anymore due to my nice Motorola Talkabout T5950s. If so, email me and I wil bring all of my hardware for it. If you are interested in buying it, I have the serial port cable and the cigarette ligther adapter. All for $325 obo. Scott

I just went through the logs and emails I've received about the event. So far, I count 56 people planning on attending the event! That's 23 GC accounts, but there are only 4 of those on the potluck list. Please look it over (it's on the bottom of the cache page, above the logs) and email me with what you can bring. Thanks.

Also, we're planning a kids event to take place sometime Sunday. It will probably be after the kids hike, before the adults get back from theirs.

I don't even know how I'm coming or on what day I'll arrive and you expect me to know what I'm bringing for dinner? Heck I just now found I'm that I'm not droping in on Sparky and surprising him on the way back. (There goes the free crash space!)

How are you guys for sausages? I can drop some Stoysich on some dry ice. I'll even take special requests from the page I linked to.

Edited by bons

I will be leaving right after work on Saturday evening, and crashing in Winslow, AZ...I should be there first thing Sunday morning, and staying over til Monday.

Put me down on the potluck list to bring the Absolut.

Gonna be one heckuva bonfire on Sunday night... :D

I will be leaving right after work on Saturday evening, and crashing in Winslow, AZ...I should be there first thing Sunday morning, and staying over til Monday.

Gonna be one heckuva bonfire on Sunday night...  :D

Mmmm...Absolut...I guess you're allowed to show up after all :lol:

Who's bringing the OJ?

Gonna be one heckuva bonfire on Sunday night...  :lol:

Mmmm...Absolut...I guess you're allowed to show up after all :o

Who's bringing the OJ?

Johnny Cochran. :D

Gonna be one heckuva bonfire on Sunday night...  :D

Mmmm...Absolut...I guess you're allowed to show up after all :lol:

Who's bringing the OJ?

Johnny Cochran. :D

:o:D:D:D

D@mn it Sparky!!

Gonna be one heckuva bonfire on Sunday night...  :o

Mmmm...Absolut...I guess you're allowed to show up after all :D

Who's bringing the OJ?

Johnny Cochran. :rolleyes:

:blink::lol::lol::lol:

D@mn it Sparky!!

If he shows up with a tiny pair of black leather gloves, run....run like the wind!!!!!!! :o

KIDS?

How many kids are estimated to be going? Ages? We have a 9, 8, and 2 year old that we were planning on bringing, but they just got another offer to go to somewhere else that weekend. I would love for them to come with us, but only if there will be some other little ones for them to hang out with and play with. So- who will have their kiddos with them?

KIDS?

How many kids are estimated to be going? Ages? We have a 9, 8, and 2 year old that we were planning on bringing, but they just got another offer to go to somewhere else that weekend. I would love for them to come with us, but only if there will be some other little ones for them to hang out with and play with. So- who will have their kiddos with them?

My kids are 7,5,and 3. The Plugge's son is 10(?), other than that I'm not sure who else is bringing kids.

I do have a couple of things planned for kids. Saturday at 2pm the rangers host a kids program (not sure what they do yet). Sunday at 9am will be the kids hike. Sunday afternoon(?) will be a kids geocaching event.

Sax-

Thanks for the answer! They will probably come with us, they are looking forward to it- but dad and stepmom offered a trip to visit grandma in Nebraska- so I guess I will let them choose where to go. We will definitely have our 2 year old with us... He loves to find "prize" as he calls them... LOL

Oh- and we will keep an eye on the potluck list and then pick something up in Raton that can be easily fixed. Kind of hard to keep any fresh food "fresh" for 3 days if we get there Friday night. :lol: We will be leaving from Greeley, CO Friday morning and taking our time caching on the way down...

Looking forward to meeting all of ya!

WesternSkies

Edgerton, Wyoming

Oh- and we will keep an eye on the potluck list and then pick something up in Raton that can be easily fixed. Kind of hard to keep any fresh food "fresh" for 3 days if we get there Friday night. :lol: We will be leaving from Greeley, CO Friday morning and taking our time caching on the way down...

I'll have 3 coolers, 2 are coming with the wife after she gets off of work on Saturday. The one I'm brining on Friday advertises it can keep ice for 5 days with a 90 degree outside temp.

Oh- and we will keep an eye on the potluck list and then pick something up in Raton that can be easily fixed. Kind of hard to keep any fresh food "fresh" for 3 days if we get there Friday night.  :lol: We will be leaving from Greeley, CO Friday morning and taking our time caching on the way down...

I'll have 3 coolers, 2 are coming with the wife after she gets off of work on Saturday. The one I'm brining on Friday advertises it can keep ice for 5 days with a 90 degree outside temp.

I've got one of those...did you read the fine print? You have to put ice in the cooler for 3 days prior, keep the cooler in a freezer, then replace the ice immediately before leaving, don't drain any water, don't open the cooler, keep the cooler in a cool shaded place, etc......mine will hold ice for 2 1/2 days if I just pour in a bag or two before I leave......

Seriously...read the fine print....it's a riot!! Especially that part about not opening the cooler.......makes it kinda pointless to have a cooler if you can't open it, huh?

The one I'm bringing on Friday advertises it can keep ice for 5 days  with a 90 degree outside temp.

Wow- that sounds like a professional camping cooler! I might have to get one of those!!! What time on Friday do you think you will be getting there?

I'll probably arrive between 2 and 4 on Friday.

I'll check that fine print, Sparky. Don't open it? Sheesh...

Updates:

1) I'm driving, so put me down for a car.

2) I'll arrive Friday. I'm crashing in Boulder Thursday night and having a nice lunch in Boulder before I leave. Anyone who wants to meet me there, please let me know.

3) I'm leaving Monday. I think I'm going to head towards Wichita. If anyone wants to meet up there for a run at (or just to stare in horror at) Sitting on a Spider (GC4113 - 5/5), let me know. Sparky - are you going to be back by then?

Updates:

1) I'm driving, so put me down for a car.

2) I'll arrive Friday. I'm crashing in Boulder Thursday night and having a nice lunch in Boulder before I leave. Anyone who wants to meet me there, please let me know.

3) I'm leaving Monday. I think I'm going to head towards Wichita. If anyone wants to meet up there for a run at (or just to stare in horror at) Sitting on a Spider (GC4113 - 5/5), let me know. Sparky - are you going to be back by then?

Could/should be.....drop me a line when you expect to be close, and I'll see about meeting up with you. I'll PM you my phone number.

Oh hell Bons I am now tempted to go back through Kansas. I want a shot at that spider cache! I fear that would require me to take an extra day off since I would not want to just look and DNF. Hmmm... I will ask Mom what she thinks about an extra day.

sheesh

your mom will whip all ya'alls butts.

Oh hell Bons I am now tempted to go back through Kansas. I want a shot at that spider cache! I fear that would require me to take an extra day off since I would not want to just look and DNF. Hmmm... I will ask Mom what she thinks about an extra day.

Carleenp!!!!!!! You POTTY MOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!! B):lol:B)B):o

:blink::sad:B)B)

Tent is getting seam sealed tonight. Other than that it's just food and clothing. Everything else is good to go.

Canfields had a really nice screen set on sale for $40, so that's already loaded in the car. B)

Should I bring my mountain bike (I have a ton of room) or not bother?

We're getting there. We got a new Yakima Loadwarrior for the Xterra to haul some of our stuff. We got some food. We are going to open the tent this week, since we just bought it. We are bringing the Fire and Ice grill and cooler. We are going to bring some Johnsonville Brats and some other little snacks. We will pack each day until it is time to go. I am going to try to get new tires this week. We are excited. I just put the topo in for the area and a couple caches in the Rino 120. We are going to bring the mountain bikes also. Anyone bringing canoes or kayaks?

Edited by Team GeoHoy
Tent is getting seam sealed tonight. Other than that it's just food and clothing. Everything else is good to go.

Canfields had a really nice screen set on sale for $40, so that's already loaded in the car. B)

Should I bring my mountain bike (I have a ton of room) or not bother?

Yes, bring your mountain bike! I'm bringing mine

Char, Tim, Susan and myself are getting together tomorrow night to narrow the lists down and plan. Currently we will travel on Fri. from Northern Colorado and will cache along the way.

I should have been working on the trip today, but I snuck out and went caching all day! B) ssshhhhh!!

I had forgotten my tent was this large....  B)

Uh-oh....looks like bons bought that Coleman "Mansion" style tent...the one with 40,000 sq ft of living area, a two car garage, and servants quarters out back...... B)

I heard he bought it surplus from the M*A*S*H set, it played the role of mess tent.

Uh-oh....looks like bons bought that Coleman "Mansion" style tent...the one with 40,000 sq ft of living area, a two car garage, and servants quarters out back...... B)

I heard he bought it surplus from the M*A*S*H set, it played the role of mess tent.

Bons is kind of a clown!! :lol:

Maybe the tent is from the circus :lol:

Am I going to have to clear a large space for you up on the mesa or will your tent fit in the general population? B)

No. But if we run out of parking, I know where I can park my PT Cruiser during the day. :lol:

I had forgotten my tent was this large....  <_<

Am I going to have to clear a large space for you up on the mesa or will your tent fit in the general population? :D

No. But if we run out of parking, I know where I can park my PT Cruiser during the day. :D

The back of my Suburban is not a parking space! :D

Actually, it's a good thing I have a Suburban. I started packing today, and boy do I have a lot of stuff to squeeze in the back of the truck!