Summer Campout Cache Event

Team GPSaxophone

Cue theme from Jaws...

It's getting closer and closer! I've submitted cache pages for the 2 caches I will be placing during the event. The cache pages will be active on geocaching.com once I place them and update the coordinates. In order to hunt for the caches during the event, you'll have to see the cache pages at event HQ.

Do you think 96 lbs of charcoal will be enough for the weekend? <_<

I'm bringing it to share and to supplement the 2 (or 3) gas grills that should be there. We'll need a firewood-gathering party to scour the area around camp for Saturday night's campfire.

Besides the Sunday hikes, there will be 3 events Sunday afternoon. Details will be released at the event for each. One is a virtual scavenger hunt (for all those that like virtuals). Another is for the kids (a micro-cache hunt involving 20 temporary caches). The last will be a test of your geocaching accuracy. Each event has a prize involved (mainly thanks to Zoltig's donation), so bring your "A" game and have some fun.

This event is the "Do-not-miss-event" of the year and is quickly becoming a juggernaut! Hey Saxman, good luck on installing those rear lift helper springs on the Suburban, you are gonna love the gas mileage for this one! Hehehe...

Suggested events:

1. Make Upinyachit drop trou and run the gauntlet of angry paddle-wielding geocachers, to atone for his GC forum sins... (just kidding Duane, we luv ya and I personally can't wait to finally meet ya!)

2. "Guess how long 360 can remain standing after his BAC hits .30" This is always a family favorite and a big hit of the evening, especially at church functions...

<_< This is gonna be good.....

Does anyone have a weather forecast for the area yet?

Raton weather from NOAA

Weather.com says there is a chance of showers on Sunday

Fri May 28  Mostly Sunny       81°/48° 10 % 
Sat May 29  Partly Cloudy/Wind 74°/40° 10 % 
Sun May 30  Showers            66°/37° 40 % 
Mon May 31  Sunny              74°/40° 20 % 

I don't go by weather.com. They are never right. I like the Weather Channel on tv, but there is confusion between them and the website. NOAA is much better online. Don't forget NOAA is on FRS radios as well.

Holy ****!! I didn't realize that it was so far away:

Maneuvers Distance Maps

1: Start out going West on E CHANDLER BLVD toward N ARIZONA AVE/AZ-87. 3.0 miles

2: Turn RIGHT onto N PRICE RD. <0.1 miles

3: Turn SLIGHT LEFT to take the AZ-101-LOOP N ramp. 0.4 miles

4: Merge onto AZ-101 LOOP N. 35.9 miles

5: Merge onto I-17 N via exit number 23C-B toward FLAGSTAFF. 125.4 miles

6: Merge onto I-40 E via exit number 340A toward WINSLOW/ALBUQUERQUE. 322.7 miles

7: Merge onto I-25 N via exit number 159BC toward SANTA FE. 226.3 miles

8: Take the US-64 E/US-87 E exit- exit number 451- toward RATON/CLAYTON. 0.2 miles

9: Turn LEFT onto CLAYTON RD/US-64/US-87. 0.5 miles

10: Turn RIGHT onto S 2ND ST/US-87 W/I-25 BL N. 1.2 miles

11: Turn RIGHT onto CLARK AVE. <0.1 miles

12: End at Raton NM

Total Est. Time: 10 hours, 44 minutes Total Est. Distance: 716.31 miles

Nothing will stop me, I WILL be there!

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>I am slightly confused about the plans for this event. (NO, being blonde does NOT have anything to do with it! :lol: ) Is the event set for Memorial Day weekend (being this weekend)? Where is it at? How are we to make reservations? We (Team ODDCOUPLE) would like to come, but with gas being so expensive, it may not be an option as there is an event in CO Springs sometime soon (Aug, I think) that we would like to attend. However, if we get some clarification, we may be able to make it. Is there any chance that stuff will be going on on Sunday? One of us has to be at work by 9:45 Monday night. Any response would be very much appreciated. Thank you! </span>Oops! Didn't see the other posts before I typed this! <_< So you can disregard the Q's I had about where, when and if events are being held on Sunday. About the reservations though? Edited by Team ODDCOUPLE
I am slightly confused about the plans for this event. (NO, being blonde does NOT have anything to do with it! :lol: ) Is the event set for Memorial Day weekend (being this weekend)? Where is it at? How are we to make reservations? We (Team ODDCOUPLE) would like to come, but with gas being so expensive, it may not be an option as there is an event in CO Springs sometime soon (Aug, I think) that we would like to attend. However, if we get some clarification, we may be able to make it. Is there any chance that stuff will be going on on Sunday? One of us has to be at work by 9:45 Monday night. Any response would be very much appreciated. Thank you! Oops! Didn't see the other posts before I typed this! <_< So you can disregard the Q's I had about where, when and if events are being held on Sunday. About the reservations though?

It is waaaay too late to make reservations. That's ok, we still have room in the group area, as long as you have a tent or a pickup truck-type camper.

If you would like a "private" campsite, show up on Friday and try to claim one of the first-come, first-served spaces in the soda pocket campground (south of the group area). If you don't get one, we'll squeeze your car/truck into the group area.

Well, I kept my mouth shut as long as possible on confirming we will be there. Good thing, too. <_<

I will not be able to make it as the idiotic school my daughter goes to, decided to have this weekend for their graduation, effectively screwing up the entire holiday weekend for us! :lol::lol:

One good thing, my parents will be able to come and visit us from Vegas. :lol: Haven't seen them in 6 months.

All of you have a real good time at the campout and make sure to send your best pictures to me so's I can get em on the CACHE website for the world to see.

CdirtO

IF I put in the right info, there will be a killer Iridium Flare happening on Sunday night, viewable from the cache coords:

30 May 22:51:18 -7 20° 50° (NE ) 10.8 km (E) -7 Iridium 64

It's a -7, which is really bright. :D

Cool. Can we all log it as a find? :lol:

I wouldn't say the site is heavily wooded, but it does have some timber

IF I put in the right info, there will be a killer Iridium Flare happening on Sunday night, viewable from the cache coords:

30 May 22:51:18 -7 20° 50° (NE ) 10.8 km (E) -7 Iridium 64

It's a -7, which is really bright.  :D

Cool. Can we all log it as a find? :lol:

I wouldn't say the site is heavily wooded, but it does have some timber

I remember when I use to wake up with timber

Saturday afternoon, 11:45 a.m and I am still at work, until 4 p.m.

Oh well, SOMEONE has to keep this economy going, since you all are up there in Raton. I am sure nothing much is happening there yet, since I am the guy with the Absolut bottle :D

See you guys Sunday morning...get your rest, you are gonna need it for Sunday nite! :(

Saturday afternoon, 11:45 a.m and I am still at work, until 4 p.m.

Oh well, SOMEONE has to keep this economy going, since you all are up there in Raton. I am sure nothing much is happening there yet, since I am the guy with the Absolut bottle :D

See you guys Sunday morning...get your rest, you are gonna need it for Sunday nite! B)

Thanks for the patch from Michigan. Pretty neat to see the Iridium Flare too. Is that a virtual?

Whew! I made it back. What a LONG drive! It was a GREAT event! I'm already looking forward to next year. Seeing my first iridium flare was pretty darn cool too! I'll log and post pics over the next few days.

It was great fun meeting everyone! :D

Glad to see you gals made it back safely. Great to meet you.

Whew! I made it back. What a LONG drive! It was a GREAT event! I'm already looking forward to next year. Seeing my first iridium flare was pretty darn cool too! I'll log and post pics over the next few days.

It was great fun meeting everyone!  :o

next year? B)

Hey! You promised a next year event! :D

It was great fun meeting everyone!  :o

next year? B)

Hey! You promised a next year event! :D

I wouldn't say I promised...

It was great fun meeting everyone!  :)

next year? :)

Hey! You promised a next year event! ;)

:) You did too promise. I even told you about a group campground near Colorado springs just in case that's where we will be next year.

Pikamom

Edited by NevaLP

Get them while they're hot. (They'll get taken down eventually).

The photos (27 meg!)

110 photos from the campout with some added shots of Capulin Volcano since many people made that trip as well. I have photos of the church on the backroad to Capulin if anyone wants it (It's not in the zip). I also have the originals as 2048*1536 if anyone wants a more detailed copy of anything.

The zip also has an extra shot of the white truck taken from the top of the Mesa from the optical zoom competition I was having with NevaP. It's cropped to 400*300 but otherwise it's untouched from the original photo.

The movie (10 meg!)

I couldn't get a group picture, so I resorted to taking a short movie during the food fest. I really want to thank agent7719 for doing all the cooking. That was a lot of people to feed.

Special shout outs also go to 360 for the Original Can Of Beans and the Iridium Flare view, The Plugge Family for the cache on the hill and the on-the-fly Urban Micro, New England n00b for his donations to this event, Sax Man and family for the incredible amount of effort they put into this, and I want to give my thanks to everyone who came. Without each and every one of you, this event wouldn't have been the unforgettable event that it was.

It was great fun meeting everyone!  ;)

next year? :)

Hey! You promised a next year event! :)

:) You did too promise. I even told you about a group campground near Colorado springs just in case that's where we will be next year.

Pikamom

Ok, ok...yes I'd like to host an event next summer. ;)

What was the name of the campground near the Springs?

Sax (and anyone else who wants a CD burnt and mailed):

PM me with an address and I'll send it out Saturday.

As a bonus, I'll include the complete original photo collection in wonderful 2048*1536.

Edited by bons

The zip also has an extra shot of the white truck taken from the top of the Mesa from the optical zoom competition I was having with NevaP.  It's cropped to 400*300 but otherwise it's untouched from the original photo.

Here's my zoom of the white truck. :lol:

NevaLP1e20c6a0-315b-4dfa-bc42-69de416c29ff.jpg

It was great fun meeting everyone!  :lol:

next year? :lol:

Hey! You promised a next year event! :lol:

:lol: You did too promise. I even told you about a group campground near Colorado springs just in case that's where we will be next year.

Pikamom

Ok, ok...yes I'd like to host an event next summer. ;)

What was the name of the campground near the Springs?

Red Rocks group campground in Pike National forest. It's about five miles north of Woodland park. Several other Pike National Forest campgrounds a mile or so away.