Larger Maps?

hikemeister

I really like the geocaching maps, and nearly always print out one with a cluster of caches labelled when I go to an area to search. However, the geocaching map is quite small. How difficult would it be to set up the geocaching map in a similar manner to that used by Microsoft for their mappoint maps, where you have a 'print' icon to click on that opens a new page with just the map, in a greater size? This would be a great new feature to add to the site if it is feasible.

Ok, but what's the point? A lot of work, with a non-interactive map as a result, on which you cannot even click to identify caches?

True, I made this map to show all of my finds from Chicago to L.A. (Get your kicks...)

The US Census Dept lets you use their Tiger Mapping service to plot waypoints also. It won't give you cache information either, but it is less cluttered than splicing the GC maps together, and easier I think.

Here is my GIANT scrollable/clickable map of Twin Cities caches. Don't bother unless you have a broadband connection and a lot of memory on your computer. It takes about 60 seconds to load. The actual cache locations are slightly off due to the Tiger Map Server doing strange things at very high resolution. This is a proof of concept and was made with my geo-map command line tool.

http://linuxtrade.0catch.com/mngca/big.html

-Rick

Conspiracy Theory of the Day: the source code for the USGS Tiger Map Server hasn't "been lost" like they claim. Its been deep-sixed by commercial mapping lobby interests.

Edited by rickrich