Any Gps Unit Compatible With Apple Computers

bestdad

Pretty much all consumer GPSs use a serial connection (DB9 plug) for communication, though a few are sporting USB as well. The issue is really one of software availability, rather than the physical connection.

One problem you'll encounter is that you won't be able to upgrade the GPS's OS with an Apple. AFAIK, the upgrade software supplied by both Garmin and Magellan is Windows-only.

I'm just getting started. I have Macs too. At work I have Virtual PC so I can run any of the Garmin software in emulation mode. At home, I have a new G5 and Virtual PC hasn't been upgraded. I found several software programs that will import and export waypoints, routes and tracks from my unit. I had to buy two serial to USB adapters. The first one from Belkin wouldn't work (I think just because they haven't written drivers for OS X), so I bought a Keyspan adapter. This was recommended by the vendor of MacGPS Pro which is available on the Internet.

The store where I bought my GPS unit gave me the name of a guy who is willing to help Mac users get up and running. There's probably someone near you, check your mac user group.

Jim

Go to James Associates. They should have all of the solutions you need for GPS / MAC stuff. OS X is about the best solution to the GPS / MAC software. Also try GPSy 3.3xx for downloading waypoints. I am also a Mac user from way back. I remember LISA, I've been using them so long. :( Garmin will work with Mac, but you need the right combo of software / hardware.

You should be able to transfer GPS files to any computer, as long as the machines have compatible connections.

The main issue is whether or not the software is Mac compatible. The Garmin MapSource software is PC ~only~. I'm not sure about the Magellan software, but I think it's also PC-only. There are map programs available for Macintoshes, but anything other than the actual Garmin maps can't be loaded to a Garmin GPS. Ditto for Magellan.

The result, if you want a program for working with files created by the GPS unit, Mac or PC is fine. If you want to load maps onto a GPS you'll need a PC. Perhaps Virtual PC on the Mac could handle the software...

You know, a $50 used PC from eBay would be perfectly capable of running the Garmin software. I use Garmin Mapsource on a Pentium I Thinkpad with no problems.

Hope this is helpful info.

-Best Wishes,

Bob

Like has been said before, pretty much all you can do is transfer waypoints with a Mac. With VirtualPC you can run the Garmin/Magellan software, or do like the previous poster and I did - find yourself a cheap (or free) old PC, and use it to transfer GPS stuff.

There is a Mac compatible routing app, recently available, not much for transferring maps, but it's cool to have one available finally for OS X :rolleyes:

http://www.66.com/route66/products.php?cid...ec=0&prodid=716

As a note, the current VirtualPC (6.1) is apparently dog slow, and won't run at all on a G5. Microsoft says the new version will be out the first half of 2004, although that leaves a lot of time to kill.

I could pick up a cheap PC, I suppose, but I don't want to devote the space to it, nor the time to keep it running (constant security updates from Microflaccid) and free of viruses. My Mac just works, and although I use the built-in firewall for security purposes, I don't have to worry at all about viruses yet.

There aren't as many GPS programs for Macs? I hope you're not suprised. With 2% market share, there just aren't as many Mac developers. As a result, there also aren't as many Freeware games, office suites, science programs, CAD applications, or photo tools either. It's just one of those things to consider when computer shopping. Commercial titles are also less common and unless you live in a big city you can't just go a store and buy Mac stuff; it all has to be special-ordered.

I don't want to start a Mac vs. PC thing here, that's for an entirely different website. But I would like to point out a couple of things:

1) Sure, there aren't many viruses on Macs. That's because with 2% of the market share, it isn't worthwhile to write a Mac virus. You see the same thing with other "alternative" operating systems such as BeOS and Linux.

3) Most viruses are spread because people (home ~and~ office users) just can't stop opening e-mail attachments. It's almost like they can't help themselves... not really microsoft's fault.

3) I find that Windows runs the most stable without adding any of the MS updates and partches.

4) If you have a new Mac it's probably running OSX. I don't think it's fair to compare that with Windows 95 or 98 that you'd use on an older PC. XP is just as stable and safe as OSX.

5) You can set up a firewall just a easily on a PC as a Mac.

I bought an older PC laptop from my boss for $50. Here's the specs: about 130mhz, 68MB of RAM, Windows 95, and 700MB hard drive. It's perfectly capable of running GPS software, accessing the internet and downloading Geocaching waypoints, doing simple office work, and communicating with the GPSr. Something like that would solve your space issues and actually be better for caching because of the portability.

Best Wishes,

Bob

I don't want to start a Mac vs. PC thing here, that's for an entirely different website. But I would like to point out a couple of things:

I don't want to start one either, but there are a few comments to some of your statements I'd like to make.

1) Sure, there aren't many viruses on Macs. That's because with 2% of the market share, it isn't worthwhile to write a Mac virus. You see the same thing with other "alternative" operating systems such as BeOS and Linux.

While marketshare probably has something to do with the dearth of Mac viruses, it's not at all the only reason. Mac OS X is quite simply more secure, out of the box, than any Windows operating system. Ports are closed, the eMail app can't automatically run code that can take over the system, and there's not the Windows-type OS-application interdependency that allows, say, the opening of a simple word processing document to wreck havoc. If the Mac had the marketshare of Windows, you still wouldn't see as many viruses as you do with Windows.

3) Most viruses are spread because people (home ~and~ office users) just can't stop opening e-mail attachments. It's almost like they can't help themselves... not really microsoft's fault.

That's true--viruses (computer or biological) first and foremost take advantage of pathological behavior to spread, whether it's sneezing or double-clicking attachments. B) But Microsoft isn't completely faultless. Some viruses don't even require that you open the attachment, and that's a flaw with Outlook. And the fact that an executable code can masquerade as (or inside) an innocent media file is also an inexcusible Microsoft problem.

But whether it's due to the marketshare, or Microsoft, or the user, is a bit of a moot point. The fact is that Mac users simply don't have to worry about viruses. In the past ten years, I haven't gotten a single virus on any of the Macs I've owned. I don't even have anti-virus software installed.

There are valid reasons someone might want to choose Windows over the Mac (especially given the horrid support GPS software makers have traditionally given the Mac OS). But better security just ain't one of 'em. ;)

- Jeff

There aren't as many GPS programs for Macs?  I hope you're not suprised. With 2% market share, there just aren't as many Mac developers.  As a result, there also aren't as many Freeware games, office suites, science programs, CAD applications, or photo tools either.  It's just one of those things to consider when computer shopping.  Commercial titles are also less common and unless you live in a big city you can't just go a store and buy Mac stuff; it all has to be special-ordered.

Nah, I'm not surprised. Disappointed (who wouldn't be?), but certainly not surprised. There is far less development for the Mac, but in my experience, the level of development that there is is far higher (many of the shareware programs for the Mac seem to be as good or better than commercial titles for the PC). Although for what it's worth, CompUSA, possibly the most proliferate computer store in the US, carries some Apple stuff.

Point by point:

1) Yes, less reason to develop a virus for a Mac. A blessing in disguise! ;)

2) People are idiots, I don't disagree with you there... but Microsoft has certainly made it EASIER to spread viruses, as eff-J pointed out.

3) It may run more stable, but it's more vulnerable to hacking (and viruses, such as Blaster) if you have an always-on internet connection like I do.

4) XP is more stable than Windows 98, but I wouldn't say it's as stable as OS X. And as you already pointed out, it's nowhere near as safe (0 viruses for Mac OS X compared to over 64,000 for the PC).

5) Not having set up a Firewall on XP, I can't really comment on this. All I know is, on my Mac I open System Preferences and click "Firewall On" and it's all set up and preconfigured.

If I could buy a laptop for $50 that would be a great option, but I haven't seen any that would run MapSource at a usable speed for anywhere near that price. You got a good deal I think. B)

Edited by Indiana Cojones

No real arguements with anything you guys said. Nice chatting with you.

Apple used to have real strong Shareware community, but the Freeware titles have always been lacking.

on my Mac I open System Preferences and click "Firewall On" and it's all set up and preconfigured.

I don't know about XP, but on 98SE it's not that easy - *nothing* is that easy! It was simple to download and installed the free version of ZoneAlarm though.

I don't know how common $50 laptops are on eBay; I bought my boss' old one. My brother did buy a $100 laptop on eBay that's a *lot* better than mine.

CompUSA, possibly the most proliferate computer store in the US, carries some Apple stuff.

The nearest CompUSA is a two-hour drive, and their Apple selection is only a tiny fraction of what's available for PC. More often I shop at MediaPlay, Hastings, WalMart/Sam's club, BestBuy, etc. Those stores have ~no~ Mac titles.

I really like the new Macs, and if I could afford a second computer I'd buy one. Each platform has it's own strengths and weaknesses.

Best Wishes,

Bob

There aren't as many GPS programs for Macs?  I hope you're not suprised.    It's just one of those things to consider when computer shopping.  Commercial titles are also less common and unless you live in a big city you can't just go a store and buy Mac stuff; it all has to be special-ordered.

I don't want to start a Mac vs. PC thing here, that's for an entirely different website.  But I would like to point out a couple of things:

1)  Sure, there aren't many viruses on Macs.  That's because with 2% of the market share, it isn't worthwhile to write a Mac virus.  You see the same thing with other "alternative" operating systems such as BeOS and Linux.

3)  Most viruses are spread because people (home ~and~ office users) just can't stop opening e-mail attachments.  It's almost like they can't help themselves... not really microsoft's fault.

3)  I find that Windows runs the most stable without adding any of the MS updates and partches.

4)  If you have a new Mac it's probably running OSX.  I don't think it's fair to compare that with Windows 95 or 98 that you'd use on an older PC.  XP is just as stable and safe as OSX.

5)  You can set up a firewall just a easily on a PC as a Mac.

I bought an older PC laptop from my boss for $50.  Here's the specs:  about 130mhz, 68MB of RAM, Windows 95, and 700MB hard drive.  It's perfectly capable of running GPS software, accessing the internet and downloading Geocaching waypoints, doing simple office work, and communicating with the GPSr.  Something like that would solve your space issues and actually be better for caching because of the portability.

Best Wishes,

Bob

With 2% market share, there just aren't as many Mac developers.

Not quite correct. There are many more users than buyers. The market share is around 3%, but the intstalled user base (# of all computers regardless of who owns them) is up around 9%.

As a result, there also aren't as many Freeware games, office suites, science programs, CAD applications, or photo tools either.

True, but how many do you need? Games? Buy a PS2. Office suites? Office 2004, Open Office, Apple Works, Star Office, etc. science programs? OK maybe there are some that are PC only, but there are many that are Mac only (and are VERY powerful and widely used).

Photo tools? All the standard pro apps are available for the mac. Considering most every designer, graphics artist, photographer and printer I know uses Macs I'd say they are satisfied with whats out there.

and...

1: Not to mention Apple does not leave their OS as open and venerable to attack as MS.

2: It is when the virus takes advantage of features in the email or web client that AUTOMATICALLY open or execute these attachements. Besides, if MS did their job right the first time the virus would not work.

3: Stable yes....just be careful where you surf. There are websites out there what will wipe your HD clean by clicking on a link (a big OOPS MS admitted to with XP, fix was a 120MB download. How nice). Then there are the dozens of other errors you are asking the world to exploit.

4: Stable? Maybe... Safe? Are you kidding? There are 0 viruses that have a serious impact on OSX. There are hundreds for XP.

5: True...just don't expect anything else to be as simple....

As for buying software...who buys in stores these days? On line is sooo much cheaper. Free shipping usually (ala Compusa.com). Sure fewer titles, but not fewer working options. For each task there is a title. Mac titles are usually so strong they don't have much competition (Toast, DVDSP, FCP, Photoshop, etc).

Hey, you started it :tongue:

Edited by CTYankee