Gpsmap 76s I R A Greenie <-- That Is A Compliment

Barnacle Bear

LOL. At least you have an enthusiastic teammate :wacko:

I'm not familiar with the model of Garmin that you have, but I can describe what I do with the Emap that I have.

1. Download EasyGPS and install it on your computer.

2. Connect the serial cable to the back of the computer to your unit.

3. Turn on the unit and allow it to boot up.

4. Do a zip code search on gc.com for caches near you.

4. Go to the bottom of the search page and select all, and then download.

5. Save the file to some folder of your preference.

6. Open up EasyGPS and open the file into the program (should be about a dozen waypoints or so)

7. If you went through the setup of EasyGPS already, you should have the correct unit selected for the communications part of the program. If not you'll have to go through the setup options and test the communications through the serial cable.

8. Press download. Voila. Your unit should flash up a little screen saying that communications are succesful.

If you don't have the computer interface cable <_< then you'll have to enter waypoints by hand. I'm not sure how to do that on your unit, so you'll have to read up in your User Manual.

Good Luck

LOL. At least you have an enthusiastic teammate :lol:

I'm not familiar with the model of Garmin that you have, but I can describe what I do with the Emap that I have.

1. Download EasyGPS and install it on your computer.

2. Connect the serial cable to the back of the computer to your unit.

3. Turn on the unit and allow it to boot up.

4. Do a zip code search on gc.com for caches near you.

4. Go to the bottom of the search page and select all, and then download.

5. Save the file to some folder of your preference.

6. Open up EasyGPS and open the file into the program (should be about a dozen waypoints or so)

7. If you went through the setup of EasyGPS already, you should have the correct unit selected for the communications part of the program. If not you'll have to go through the setup options and test the communications through the serial cable.

8. Press download. Voila. Your unit should flash up a little screen saying that communications are succesful.

If you don't have the computer interface cable <_< then you'll have to enter waypoints by hand. I'm not sure how to do that on your unit, so you'll have to read up in your User Manual.

Good Luck

Thank you.

I believe that I have followed your directions. I get and Error 22 message that says that the GPS is not responding. :wacko:

I will go through everything again.

BB

Followed your recommendation. Still getting Error-22 message.

<_<

Well, I don't know what the heck that is. If you are running a PDA then you will have to make certain that your hotsync program is off, or else you cannot communicate with your GPS.

I also have a GPSMAP76S, so I will offer you this advice.

1-Print off the pages of the cache that you want to find, use the printer friendly version (follow the link on the page) unless you own an ink jet refill business.

2-Turn your GPS on, put it in GPS off mode.

3-Press and hold the enter key, this will make the "markway point" page appear

4-Use the rocker switch to highlight the location, edit it to match the cache page location that you have selected. Change the waypoint symbol to show a GEOCACHE symbol (optional) and then change the name to show the name of the cache that you input.

5-Get out there and find the GEOCACHE. :wacko:

Why does everyone always want to learn the advanced features as soon as they open the box? Learn to use your GPS FIRST, then move on to uploading/downloading with software, their laptop, their pda.......

One day you may not have your computer and PDA, and actually have to manually enter the waypoints. Unless you learn this now you will always have to carry your owners manual with you, just to know these things.

Truthfully, I get people in the store who have had their eTrex for 3 years and do not know how to manually edit waypoints. They insist they need a "newer and better" GPS, but actually they just need to read their manual and learn how to use their own GPS.

PS: All new GPS76, GPSMAP76 and GPSMAP76S units are sold new with a cable, only the GPS72 is offered without a cable.

Edited by Capitalpete

I also use a 76S. Really a great GPS once you learn to take advantage of all of its features. I agree with Capitalpete. Forget easygps and downloading caches for now. I would also suggest printing out the entire logs (unless there is too many) for a while. I now usually read the entire cache page and print out only the print friendly page. If there is spoiler pictures etc., (not being the best cacher in the world) I print them out and at times other maps that may help me in the hunt. I now have a new iQue 3600 and have been playing around with Cachemate and

pocket quiries. As soon as I recover from my recent operation I will try the paperless caching. At first I will also carry the printouts. Not being a young buck anymore I try to make the hunt as easy as possible. Good luck. Dick, W7WT

I also have a GPSMAP76S, so I will offer you this advice.

1-Print off the pages of the cache that you want to find, use the printer friendly version (follow the link on the page) unless you own an ink jet refill business.

2-Turn your GPS on, put it in GPS off mode.

3-Press and hold the enter key, this will make the "markway point" page appear

4-Use the rocker switch to highlight the location, edit it to match the cache page location that you have selected. Change the waypoint symbol to show a GEOCACHE symbol (optional) and then change the name to show the name of the cache that you input.

5-Get out there and find the GEOCACHE. <_<

Why does everyone always want to learn the advanced features as soon as they open the box? Learn to use your GPS FIRST, then move on to uploading/downloading with software, their laptop, their pda.......

One day you may not have your computer and PDA, and actually have to manually enter the waypoints. Unless you learn this now you will always have to carry your owners manual with you, just to know these things.

Truthfully, I get people in the store who have had their eTrex for 3 years and do not know how to manually edit waypoints. They insist they need a "newer and better" GPS, but actually they just need to read their manual and learn how to use their own GPS.

:wacko: Miss Madonna and I are going caching this afternoon based on your instructions. I entered 3 local caches and will be out-the-door soonest.

RTFM! Well, I've been doing that since Dawn less 30 this morning. With the dawn and several hours of pusshing buttons I have made progress. Of course I want everything and I want it right now! I suspect that's normal when entering a new avocation.

Your wisdom has helped. Eventually I will learn how to download. This afternoon I'm out getting the stink blowed off.

BB

<_<

Hey, glad we could help you! Enjoy your time GEOCACHING, and your time together with the family.

As the wife says "it's not worth getting frustrated over (learning how to do the advanced things) just get out there and enjoy it. If you just get hung up on learning all the features right away then you will not be able to enjoy geocaching and that is the whole reason that you bought the GPS anyway"

Enjoy caching, ask again if you have other questions as this board is the very next place you should read after reading your manual.....LOL......

Miss Madonna and I are going for the Not Found Record. Three this afternoon. One I flat I blew the coordinates. It was supposed to be in a park but wasn't. Two I blew the directions. Duh. Three was right in the middle of an area that looked as if it had recently been rototilled. Miss Madonna says I am getting real good at walking around in circles with a pure stupid look on my face. I was disappointed but when I got back to the car it really didn't matter. I had a good time. <_<

BB

BB

Welcome to the sport. Garmins manuals are a little light on detail so I would recommend this online manual. It really helped me to sort out my Garmin GPSr's ( first a 12 and now my 76)

Thanks for the suggestion. I will hit Dale up big time later today.

Blasted partner walked me into the ground yesterday. (Who said the second dog doesn't get to see good scenery?) No joy in the woods that day. Strike out! The car door never looked so good.

Perhaps you can understand. What was really neat was when I finally got Miss Madonna to take the 76S. We were walking back to the car - - past a cache we couldn't find (It was my fault.). She was like the hound on the hunt. She strided away from me. When she got close to the spot she slowed. It was almost as if she were sniffing for it, as, of course, she was. We both had a great time and left in the dark.

The best time to start geocaching was 20 years ago. The second best time is now!

BB