Free I-cache Version 1.2 Upgrade Ready

Hi all,

Just wanted to let all of the i-Cache users know that we put an upgrade for i-Cache on our web page at www.BigSkyCachers.com. The upgrade is version 1.2 and allows you to import GPX and LOC files. We also fixed a couple of minor bugs.

Just install the upgrade right over your existing i-Cache program. You won't loose anything that you have already saved.

The i-Cache program is FREE and any one can go to our web page and download it. It runs on PC's with Windows 98, 2000, ME or XP.

The i-Cache program is a great program for saving, sorting and displaying all of the information you acquire with your found and hidden caches. You even get to save all of the pictures you took at the cache sites. You even have the choice of making the program look like your Magellan SporTrak or Garmin eTrex!

Currently we're working on adding the ability to interface with your GPS for uploading and downloading waypoints. Hopefully that won't be too far away.

Try i-Cache and then send us your ideas and comments. We want to keep making i-Cache better.

Have a Happy New Year everyone!

ItchinToGoFishin

Big Sky Cacher member

Edited by ItchinToGoFishin

You really should set up a dedicated forum for feedback/bug reports etc.

In the meantime, I've just loaded a pocket query containing all of my found caches. I then have to go into each cache to set the status from imported to I've found it. (which is already a pain) but when I hit update it prompts me if I want to overwrite the record that already exists, which is an extra couple of clicks - Can we turn this off please?

Oh ya...we can do that!!!

Allowing the user to set the Status for each record that will be imported will save two clicks for each record. At least in a case like you are descibing, where all of the imported cache records are caches that you had already found. The only time it wouldn't work is where they are importing from an LOC or GPX file that has mixed (I found it, I'm still searching, etc.) records. Right?

That idea will go to the top of the list. It will be a good addition for the 1.3 upgrade.

A dedicated forum would be a good idea. We want the feedback to improve the program, but I don't think a lot of the people that are using it are saying much so far. At least that's what it looks like judging from the number of people that have downloaded it from our Big Sky Cachers Web Page and the number of posts that we have received in this forum.

Thanks for the input DomHeknows.

Just want to say that I like your website. I get questions all the time about the Davis Mt cabin, (I set the cabin as my wall paper). Can you set the front view of the cabin for use as wall paper also to download? I have looked at, but not used the software yet. I am going to play around with it here shortly. Thanks, any chance for a meridian? August Code, kevin

Am I missing something, or are you unable to import multiple-cache .loc files? I just saved all my waypoints using EasyGPS, and Icache is saying that it's not a valid .loc file.

Oh, and as a very minor suggestion, you might want to rename your setup file to something more descriptive than "Setup". I've had hard drive problems recently and have had to reload everything a few times, so I've taken to burning all the little programs I like (Irfanview, Spybot, Adaware, Acrobat Reader, etc) to a CD so that I don't have to re-download them when/if I have to start from scratch. If your software had a more descriptive name, it would be easier to tell what it is in the lineup, or in my "Downloads" directory.

Am I missing something, or are you unable to import multiple-cache .loc files? I just saved all my waypoints using EasyGPS, and Icache is saying that it's not a valid .loc file.

Right now i-Cache will not import an .loc file that was created with EasyGPS. That's because the .loc file that you get from GeoCaching.com is an XML type file and the file created with EasyGPS is a binary file. Once you save your .loc file with EasyGPS it changes the file to a binary file. I'm not sure why Topografix decided to keep the extension of the file the same even though the format of the file is totally different. We will be adding EasyGPS .loc file support in the near future. In the meantime you will need to import the .loc file that you get from GeoCaching.com into i-Cache before saving the file with EasyGPS. I-Cache does import GPX and LOC files that have multiple cache records.

If your software had a more descriptive name, it would be easier to tell what it is in the lineup, or in my "Downloads" directory.

I agree with njload. Creating separate folders for each application would be the preferred way to store multiple programs in one folder or on a CD. By having separate folders you have the opportunity to add additional files at a later time to each setup program (if the need arises) and not take the chance of overwritting existing files that belong to one of the other setup programs.

An alternative to that would be to rename the Setup.exe file before the download begins or after the download has finished. You can rename the file to whatever you want. The setup program will work fine even if it has been renamed.

Thanks for the feedback. I hope this helps.

Just want to say that I like your website. I get questions all the time about the Davis Mt cabin, (I set the cabin as my wall paper). Can you set the front view of the cabin for use as wall paper also to download?

I'm glad you like the photos AC! We just placed a few more pictures on our Big Sky Cachers Photo Page which includes a sepia picture of the Davis Mountain Cabin. Unfortunately the picture of the front of the cabin was of such poor quality because the camera was looking right into the sun that we decided not to put it on the web page. But if you like I can e-mail that picture, plus any of the other Davis Mountain pictures that you want, right to you. I will size the pictures so that they can be used as wall paper. You can send your e-mail address to me through our Big Sky Cachers web page by clicking the EMAIL US button.

any chance for a meridian?

Yes. Our graphics man said that he could have some Meridian skins ready later this week.

Right now i-Cache will not import an .loc file that was created with EasyGPS. That's because the .loc file that you get from GeoCaching.com is an XML type file and the file created with EasyGPS is a binary file. Once you save your .loc file with EasyGPS it changes the file to a binary file. I'm not sure why Topografix decided to keep the extension of the file the same even though the format of the file is totally different. We will be adding EasyGPS .loc file support in the near future.

GPX is the preferred format for interchanging data between programs. If you open a Geocaching .loc file in EasyGPS and want to save your changes to use in another program, save it in .gpx format.

The TopoGrafix .loc format is a wrapper around nearly a dozen internal formats. One of these variations is the XML-based format that EasyGPS and Geocaching.com use to exchange data. Loc is a dead format. Use GPX.

Loc is a dead format. Use GPX

:unsure: Dead? Can LOC be considered dead if it's the main format for non-premimum users to download waypoints from Geocaching.com. As long as Geocaching.com continues to promote it and applications that support LOC don't deter the user from using the LOC format, then I wouldn't consider LOC as dead. Maybe it's dead as far as evolving to a stronger format, but it's not dead as far as usage.

Edited by ItchinToGoFishin