How Do I Import Waypoints Into Fugawi?

tirediron

I just bought Fugawi, and so far, it looks a good product, but I cannot figure out how to import waypoints. I have taken a *.gpx file and used GPS Babel to turn it into a (supposedly) Fugwaw formatted waypoint text file, but the program doesn't recognize it when I try and import it. I have even hand-edited the file so that it appears exactly as the text file which Fugawi itself generates. Any thoughts, help, or apps that I can use? I am running Fugawi 3 on a Toshiba laptop with Win XP Home.

I just bought Fugawi, and so far, it looks a good product, but I cannot figure out how to import waypoints. I have taken a *.gpx file and used GPS Babel to turn it into a (supposedly) Fugwaw formatted waypoint text file, but the program doesn't recognize it when I try and import it. I have even hand-edited the file so that it appears exactly as the text file which Fugawi itself generates. Any thoughts, help, or apps that I can use? I am running Fugawi 3 on a Toshiba laptop with Win XP Home.

Fugawi is a little fussy in how the .csv file looks so what I do is open it up in MS Excel first and do some housekeeping. I delete the row of column headings as well as the column with the url link and resave as a .csv file.

Now in the Waypoints window click on the "Import Waypoints" icon and choose the saved file. The "Import Fields" window comes up and here you choose the fields in the same order as you saw in Excel. As an example, my .csv file is created by "GeoBuddy" and the order is:

• Name (GCxxxx)
  • Comment (Cache name)
  • Latitude
  • Longitude

It sounds a little time-consuming but its worth the effort when you have up to 500 waypoints from 1 Pocket Query.

Luck, Olar

Another low tech way is just to use EasyGPS to transfer the waypoints to your GPSr then download them from your GPSr into Fugawi. Not very elegant but it works :unsure:

Note that you can't have both of these programs using the same com port at the same time. The first program you open will grab the com port preventing the other from using it.

I've been fooling around with this a bit more and discovered that Fugawi will import .csv waypoint files that GPSBabel creates for MS Streets and Trips. There are instructions on the Babel web site for creating a drag & drop batch file icon which makes the creation of the .csv file easy too.

In the Waypoints window in Fugawi click on the "Import Waypoints" icon and choose the .csv file created by GPSBabel. The "Import Fields" window comes up and here you choose the fields in this order:

* Name (GCxxxx)

* Latitude

* Longitude

* Comment (Cache name)

* [skip Field]

* [skip Field]

I just bought Fugawi, and so far, it looks a good product, but I cannot figure out how to import waypoints.  I have taken a *.gpx file and used GPS Babel to turn it into a (supposedly) Fugwaw formatted waypoint text file, but the program doesn't recognize it when I try and import it.  I have even hand-edited the file so that it appears exactly as the text file which Fugawi itself generates.  Any thoughts, help, or apps that I can use?  I am running Fugawi 3 on a Toshiba laptop with Win XP Home.

I think GPSBabel can do what you're asking. It lists Fugawi as one of it's supported formats. i.e.:

gpsbabel -i gpx,gsshortnames -f ~alex/gpx/877.gpx -o fugawi -F foo.txt

yields data that looks like:

# Latitude, Longitude and UTM coordinates are in WGS84 datum
#
# Every set of data contains the following:
#
# Waypoint name
# Waypoint comment
# Waypoint description
# Latitude in Degree and decimals (soutern hemisphere has neg. degrees)
# Longitude in degree and decimals (neg. numbers: west of Greenwich)
# Height in meters
GC763,Wild Azalea Cache,Wild Azalea Cache,31.2389500,-92.6217500,0.0    
GC7E2,Palomino Cache,Palomino Cache,30.5812330,-91.0131330,0.0     

alex

Edited by alexm
I think GPSBabel can do what you're asking.  It lists Fugawi as one of it's supported formats. 

This format doesn't seem to work for Fugawi 3 and may have been for a previous version ;)

Edited to revise

I was wrong. While the Fugawi format doesn't work with the GUI Frontend for GPSBabel it does work with this code as a command line entry or in a batch file. The batch file I used is

@echo off
gpsbabel.exe -i gpx,gsshortnames -f %1 -o fugawi -F %1.txt

In the Waypoints window in Fugawi click on the "Import Waypoints" icon and choose the .txt file created by GPSBabel. The "Import Fields" window comes up and here you choose the fields in this order:

* Name (GCxxxx)

* Comment (Cache name)

* Description (Cache name)

* Latitude

* Longitude

* Altitude

Edited by PDOP's