Forum Feature Request

Sparky-Watts

My idea for a new feature in the forums are the "Rant", "Redundant", and "Flame" Buttons to be added to the current text, font, URL, code, list, etc. buttons available when posting to the forums. Use the "Rant" button when you want to rant about something that interests, or disinterests you.

Use the "Redundant" button to post a topic that has been discussed to death in the past.

Use the "Flame" button when you intend to flame another user.

Then, all users would also have the option to turn these features off, if they do not want to view any rants, redundant topics, or flames.

Example: Welcome to Groundspeak Forums. Your personal preferences indicate that you do not want to see user flames or redundant topics. Rants will be viewable at this time. To change your preferences etc.......

What does everyone think? Any more ideas I've missed that could be helpful?

Use the "Redundant" button to post a topic that has been discussed to death in the past.

Would my redundant button block out posts like the following?: (not necessarily the first one, but the second)

I feel that I'll write a big, long post about peace. All I want is peace, peace, peace. Peace should be essential to geocaching, because geocaching is in the world, and the world needs peace. Also, to encourage peace, I think that we should eliminate all frowny or mad smileys, they take away from the peace. Peace is about finding a oneness in yourself, and when you find the oneness, you have acquired peace, and peace is the opposite of disruption, and disrupting the peace takes away from the peace. To be on topic, this is on topic because geocaching needs peace. I hid a cache, its titled, "Peace is good." I put in fifty stickers of happy face smileys, because they promote the peace. I also decided to put them in a five-gallon bucket, because you can't have peace when you're scrunched up. I also put it on a table in the public library because the library is full of peace, and trails sometimes have horse poop on them, so they do not promote peace, because horse poop is not one with the peace. Anyways, I was reading my book (Peace and Meditation) & refreshing my cache page, when a log came on. It said: "This cache was boring. I took one of the smile thingies, left an army man." "ARMY MAN!?!?!? Oh, no," I thought, "keep the peace in your mind and the peace will be with you. Calm.....calm is peace, and peace is calm." With my thoughts recollected, I blew out my 345 peace-promoting candles and walked out the door with Enya in my CD player. Enya is calm and quiet, Enya is peace. The city and loud and boistorous, and is not peace. I finally walked to the door of the library and removed my headphones. I didn't need to listen to something with peace, because I was in a room with peace. I walked to the table, and "Peace is good" was not there! "Collect your thoughts," I told myself, "you are one with peace, you will enter Nirvavna." So I sat there on the floor, next to the former, peace-filled sit of "Peace is Good," getting myself in the yoga (which is peace) position of the Falling Leaf. If I was not one with the peace, I would have been sad about my departed brother. But, I was in the utmost state of peace, on that library floor. I had reached Nirvavna!

-peacelover243

Peace be with you! (always and forever)

I thought that was a great story

-JoeSchmo

Redundant....would that be repeated warnings from the admins?

No, I suppose they make new warnings for everyone instead of copy/paste. B)

rant...Since you spoiled my Christmas rant thread, does that mean I can turn off your rant there or should I have reported you for going off topic? (just kidding, I don't mean to dimish your experience. I thought it was quite touching)

Oops, I think that was a flame! :unsure:

I didn't see any of your post, because I've got the "Stupid" feature turned off! B)B)B)

However, the feature request to turn off mods would be fun. You could be posting along oblivious to anything said by the mods, then, *POOF* be banned from the forums!

Oh, wait, that already happens, doesn't it? :unsure:

Since the machine can't pick out the flames from the rants from the redundant posts and the reduntant flaming rants the mods would have to get involved.

Oh, I forgot to mention, this would be based on the honor system (which I'm sure would work perfectly here, right?) and the poster would have to choose which category his reply falls under from a drop-down list. That way, the system would automatically know if it were a rant, a redundancy, a flame, etc. :unsure:

My idea for a new feature in the forums are the "Rant", "Redundant", and "Flame" Buttons to be added to the current text, font, URL, code, list, etc. buttons available when posting to the forums.  Use the "Rant" button when you want to rant about something that interests, or disinterests you. 

(Other stuff was here)

I'm not a big fan of this idea. I've been in a forum which allowed you to hide the posts of individuals. Invariably what happened was I would not be able to keep up with the conversation. I did not understand references to the hidden comments. Also, the ignored individuals sometimes actually had useful stuff to say.

Sometimes, good points would be ignored by ignoring 'flame', 'rant', or 'redundant' responses.

Edited by sbell111
... I've been in a forum which allowed you to hide the posts of individuals. Invariably what happened was I would not be able to keep up with the conversation. I did not understand references to the hidden comments. Also, the ignored individuals sometimes actually had useful stuff to say.

Sometimes, good points would be ignored by ignoring 'flame', 'rant', or 'redundant' responses.

Thanks.

I've always been a fan of a Bozo bin. But what you say makes sence. It' looks like the solution is worse than the original problem.