Need Advice Quick Again!

bo jangles

Thank you to all who responded to my first plea for advice a few hours ago (SEE: "need advise quick"). After kicking about the internet, I've decided our sons might really like this. So, I'm thinking of offloading what we were going to get my sons for Xmas (and have their grandparents buy them something else that we've already gotten) and WE"ll buy them EACH a GPS for their biggie present. Now I dont think the sharing is a good idea.

So now my concerns are different. I'd still likethe GPS(s) quick, but the boys could wait, if it's better for whatever reason. The boys are very adventuresome, so I think they would like the hiking/ off road geocaching/ exploring. But a street map would be nice too, upon occaasion. But unlike most kids nowadays, my boys (unfortunately for me, cuz I could use help!) really don't like computers & I'm certain I'm more computer-literate than they are, and I'd say I'm just OK, at best. I've learned how to get my computer to do the stuff I want it to do, but I have no idea HOW it does it. So, I want something easy to use. Some of their friends are much better in this way, though, so they can get help/advice, too.

So, I'm willing to spend more than $100 for a good unit - if its worth it - but I don't want to buy something approching overkill for beginners, but perhaps something that they could expand if they like, or use for a couple years until the newest & coolest thing comes out. This is all so new to me, and so overwheming that your opinions are appreciated and valued!

Once again, thank you all for any and all input! Please just go ahead and recommend whatever you think; I won't get the gist of this GPS thing until I really start fiddling with it, so I need blunt advice.

Maybe my husband & I will get into this geo-caching thing when were "empty-nesters" next year! Does sound fun... ;)

Don't wait til next year. Get the kids a couple of Play Station games and buy you and hubby a nice GPS and a laptop. Ditch the kids and go on goecaching vacation. Wine country is always nice. ;)

Youth is wasted on the young.

This is the voice of an accomplished empty-nester. We are 6 months child free, and loving it.

The Garmin eTrex Legend is similar to the yellow eTrex I recommended earlier, but has a lot more features and costs a little more. I think the Legend is $179 at GPSNow.com. It looks better, has the "cool" thumb-stick, and can be loaded with Garmin MapSource maps - either street maps or topographic maps. The map software costs about $90 extra, but can be added later as an upgrade.

I wouldn't recommend any more unless the sons are already familiar with or interested in GPS/GeoCaching. If you do want to spend more, the GPSMAP76S, as mentioned by "slinger91", is $309 at GPSNow.

Happy shopping,

Bob

Thank you for taking the time to advise me. I appreciate your input. In my holiday madness, I bought two "Magelan Meridian Golds" (sp) because a salesman from "Affordable GPS" took the time to call me back & seemed nice & I think I'll get it (overnighted) in time for Xmas. and I hope a good price: I think about $240 each.

Happy Holidays!!!