Meridian Color Vs. Platinum

syoungblood

Hello again all,

Just when I thought my mind was made up for my first GPS purchase. :D Was looking around the net for prices on Platinum's. Found a package deal for the Meridian Color that will cost exactly the same as the Platinum package. So, the question to all you experienced users is...

Which one?

As I understand it, the main difference is the color HAS color but does not have the electric compass. Am I missing anything? From what I have been reading, you would still want a hand held compass even with the Platinum. And since we will be doing some Autoroute things with the GPS, the color seems to be an advantage. I would really appreciate any feedback one way or the other. Thanks for the help.

Scott Y

As described in the top link in my collection (listed below) the Meridian Color vs. Plat differ in the absence of the sensor kit, the color screen, and the presence of an external antenna jack.

Personally, I still carry a real compass with my Plat, but I'm glad I can see it in the sunlight which isn't a given on the color units. Opinions on the visibility in high light vary; whether this is due to variance in units or eyeballs is up to you.

I'll echo robertlipe that inspite the electronic compass built into the MeriPlat, you should always carry a backup magnetic compass. I carry three backups besides the MeriPlat compass. I have an electronic floating compass on my Suunto, plus 2 magnetic compasses, one in my pocket and one in my backpack as a match holder/whistle/compass.

I refuse to get lost no matter how many times I'm told to do so. :D

Edited by TotemLake

Color: Eats batteries but you can connect an external antenna (who needs on of those anyway?) Backlight must be on most of the time to see screen clearly.

Platinum: Digital compass, barometer, thermometer, great B&W screen with longer battery life.

Don't care about compass, barometer, and thermometer? Get the MeriGold.

My two cents worth.

I have the Platinum in case you could not guess.

It depends what non-geocaching things you dowith your GPS.

I have a Color and it isgreat for driving and boating and caching.

Yesterday, I went out with my sister and her husband who have a GPS with the compass - the nice thing is it points to the cache while you are standing still. With the color, and other GPSrs without the compass, the direction to the cache is based on the direction you are moving.

For just caching, you might go with the platinum.

For other activities as well, you might consider the color.

(As much as I hate to say it, in a couple of caches, his Etrex Vista was closer to the cache than my Color or my wife's Merigreen - but that may just be the error on the placer's part.

Thanks for all the help everybody. Especially to you, Mr. Lipe. Your site has really helped with narrowing the field and understanding the differences. I think I am leaning toward the Platinum because the compass seems like it would be helpful for geocaching. Since we are also going to use autorouting for trips, does the Platinum screen seem to work alright while driving? Thanks again for the replies.

I think I am leaning toward the Platinum because the compass seems like it would be helpful for geocaching.  Since we are also going to use autorouting for trips, does the Platinum screen seem to work alright while driving? 

It does indeed show up well while on the road. The MeriPlat screen has great visibility, and DirectRoute works just great here in the Great White North. I have seen a Color screen be somewhat hard to read on the dash of a friend's car.

As far as the MeriPlat's compass, thermometer, barometer go, do I need them, no. I have an altimeter and I always carry at least one compass. Do I want them? You bet, they are just great to have.