How To Cope

pnew

In todays show the topic of discussion is what we, as geocachers and owners of travel bugs, are to do when our TBs in that cache they are logged into or are in the hands of a cacher who has completely disappeared from the Geocaching scene.

First for those who never bought travel bug dog tags or who are thinking of doing so:

- As soon as you activate that tag be prepared for it to be lost

Travel Bugs becoming lost by non-participating cachers, those ignorant to the game, stolen caches, and abduction by aliens occur all too often. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if more than half of everyone who has passed or owns a bug has seen at least one bug lost. Know that it was a ~$5 well spent while it lasted. Its like placing bets on Great Aunt Edna. Its not if she'll ever die but rather when and what we can gain from reflecting upon it ( :D ) as well as enjoying her while she's still around :D:D

- Do not get carried away with your TB's goal

Yes it would be great for the travel bug to circle the globe 7 times and end up in Paducah, Kentucky by Easter but sometimes fate will take its course whether you like it or not. Enjoy watching the bug go from cache to cache while it still is, along with what some cachers add to it's journey through pictures and verse. If you are serious about your TB reaching its goal make sure it is labeled properly. Chances are if a cacher reads the goal at the cache and finds out he or she can't help it they may opt to let someone else who can help take it. Make your goal label short and too to the point as to save space. Brightly colored/designed tags/TBs catch the cacher's eye while in the cache.

-Size does matter

I'd be interested in seeing a number on what percentage of caches are either micros or small tupperware containers already overflowing with McDonalds cheer. The smaller the bug no doubtedly the easier to find a cache it will fit in. This will decrease its time outside of a cache in some cases. Small doesn't mean you still can't be creative though, keep the TB's shape in mind as well.

...And for those who have already sent TBs out into the caching world...

-Politely e-mail the current holder of your bug if you believe they've held it too long

While others may disagree I believe that any time within a month (4 weeks) is a reasonable time to hold a bug. While I try and cache and release the bugs I find ASAP not everyone can go caching at their leisure. If you do decide to e-mail the current holder please ask them if they need any help. Look at their stats to see how long they've been caching to make sure they know what they're doing and most importantly do not assume they are just being lazy. I've actually heard that certain cachers who recieve angry e-mails from TB owners about holding their TBs too long either don't get a response or only make the holder hold it longer in revenge. sad but true.

-E-mail cachers that have visited the missing TB's cache before and after your TB was placed in it as well as the owner

We all can do a little detective work on our missing TBs and sometimes those who have been to the cache are the key players in either finding out what happened to your missing TB or where it might be currently. Everytime I've e-mailed a fellow cacher for help on a missing tb I've always recieved immensely helpful responses and some even over and above the call of duty. Its nice to see that some people care too.

-Don't lose hope but be able to accept...

...the fact that your TB is lost. While the TB graveyard was a creative cache idea for dust biting TBs I really like the new "TB missing" option on the TB pages. This eliminates cachers going out to a cache only to find that the TB they had come looking for is no longer there as well as cache owners having to explain the same thing for someone elses lost bug. There was a case about a month ago where a mysterious shipment of lost TBs from Florida suddenly reappeared in Houston after the TBs were assumed stolen by a "pirate cacher" or "exterminator" (dumbest idea for geocaching ever... really goes well with the geocaching public too) It can happen! I've found unlogged bugs myself in caches and was able to put them back on track

Hope for the best

Fear for the worst

and most importantly enjoy your travel bugs while they are still out there traveling!

Please add anything I haven't covered.

Edited by pnew

Well if your bug vanishes, release another with the copy dog tag.

If that vanishes, engrave a washer or piece of metal with the dog tag ID and the word "travel bug" and update your bugpage with an explaination of why your using a washer/piece of metal.

Its just a number on a piece of metal, with a worthless piece of plastic (usually) attached to it.

I've been thinking about creating a TB called "The Ring-Seven Days." It would just be a cheap gold ring, with instructions that the ring be left in the cache unless the finder can move it to another cache within seven days (or suffer the fate of the characters from the movie "The Ring")

Do you think that would keep the TB from going missing? I suppose the investigative reporter who follows the trail of bodies will eventually find the TB.