Free Gps Data

bogamo

Howdy all. I maintain a web site most of you may find usefull. It allows users to create and share maps from GPS track logs.

The site currently uses trail data from many sources including the USGS, GPS track logs.

Please give it a try:

TrailRegistry

TrailRegistry currently has many many trails in New York and New Hampshire, and a smattering of trails in the rest of the US. Anyone can add trails to the database by uploading a GPS track log in GPX format.

Please check it out, and tell me what you think.

Thank you,

-Geoff

Easy GPS will work..

The problem with the free version is that it deals with GPS routes, and not GPS tracks. The difference is mainly that routes have fewer points, and therefore, are less accurate.

It will work tho.

I believe Expert GPS will do track logs.

I think you can also use GPSBabel.

TrailRegistry also supports g7toWin format... Though it's not quite as easy to use.

If you have a GPS program that allows you to import tracks and waypoints in GPX format, than you can simply click on the download link at the top of any trail page in TrailRegistry, and you will get the trail as a Track, and all the waypoints along the trail.

-Geoff

What format is the trail currently in?

It really doesen't matter if the trail is split or not.. I tend to go back into the system and clean up trails donated by users. Part of the normal clean up process is splitting long trips into individual trails, or joining small segments into full trails.

-Geoff