Irfanview And Exif

Jamie Z

I've been using Irfanview for at least a couple of years now. I love it. It's very simple and easy to use and has (I think) a wonderful print interface.

Not too recently I purchased a digital camera. When I view my pictures and look at the information for those files, there is an option to view the EXIF data for that image, yet when I click on that the program informs me that I must download the proper plug-in.

I've asked for help in the chatroom and thought I had it figured out, but I can't get Irfanview to display EXIF data. I've downloaded plug-ins and changed some settings in Irfanview to no avail.

Can someone walk me through the process? An Irfanview for Dummies if you will.

Jamie

Um.

Ok, so I figured it out just a few minutes after posting my request for help.

I suppose this would make a good thread to talk about the good things about Irvanview and what you can do with it.

Did you know you can view the EXIF data using Irvanview?

Jamie

EXIF data is all that stuff that goes on behind the scenes when you snap your photo.

It contains the date and time that the photo was shot, all the camera settings (focal length, shutter speed, effective film speed, image size, flash or no, etc) and a bunch of other stuff that means very little to me.

Mostly I wanted the photography information like the shutter speed and stuff, and also the date and time.

To use Irfanview to view EXIF data for your pictures, go to the Irfanview Plug-in Page. The plug-in you need is #4 (Or you can just click here.) You'll see that it lists "Exif" under that particular plug-in.

When you download the zip file, unzip it to your Irfanview directory, in the folder called "Plugins." That folder should have already been created when you installed Irfanview.

Bang. It works.

Jamie

And as TechTV's Cat Schwartz accidently found out a few months ago, that's not always a good thing.

ya.....come awwn....share with us!....

I dont watch Call For Help anymore, since they had that annoying nerd on there.....

Although I see he's gone now... :(

Details please!

I already wrote about this on Texas Geocaching. I won't repeat it here, but this is the thread. It's near the bottom, dated 08/24/2003.

I'm not sure what the deal is, but I can't get on Texas Geocaching without my IE6.0 crashing. I've clicked on both of PS's links and also typed in the URL manually. Each time I get an error message and an invitation to send an error report to MS.

Everything else seems to be working fine. Anyone else have this trouble?

Jamie

Typical Exif data captured by Irfanview. However,once you c=modify the original picture, some of the data is deleted because it no longer applies.

File: - C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\PICTURES\Janet portrait.jpg

Make - Canon

Model - Canon PowerShot S230

Orientation - 1 (top left)

XResolution - 180

YResolution - 180

ResolutionUnit - 2 (inch)

DateTime - 2003:01:18 21:21:18

YCbCrPositioning - 1 (center of pixel array)

ExifOffset - 196

ExposureTime - 1/60 seconds

FNumber - 4.0000

ExifVersion - 220

DateTimeOriginal - 2003:01:18 21:21:18

DateTimeDigitized - 2003:01:18 21:21:18

ComponentsConfiguration - 1 2 3 (YCbCr)

ShutterSpeedValue - 1/60 seconds

ApertureValue - F 4.00

ExposureBiasValue - 0.0000

Flash - 89

FocalLength - 10.8125 mm

UserComment -

FlashPixVersion - 100

ColorSpace - 1 (sRGB)

ExifImageWidth - 1536

ExifImageHeight - 2048

InteroperabilityOffset - 1250

FocalPlaneXResolution - 9846.1538

FocalPlaneYResolution - 9893.7198

FocalPlaneResolutionUnit - 2

Maker Note (Vendor): -

Macro mode - Normal

Self timer - Off

Quality - Superfine

Flash mode - Auto + red-eye reduction

Sequence mode - Single or Timer

Focus mode - Single

Image size - Large

Easy shooting mode - Manual

Digital zoom - None

Contrast - Normal

Saturation - Normal

Sharpness - Normal

Metering mode - Evaluative

Focus type - Auto

AF point selected -

Exposure mode - Easy shooting

White Balance - Auto

Image Type - IMG:PowerShot S230 JPEG

Firmware Version - Firmware Version 00.00

Image Number - 1040424

Owner Name -

Im using the new version of Ifranview....Ifranview 64. Is there a way or an option to turn on the auto-focus or refocus that other photo-shops have.....Problem: when I straighten, crop and or re-size a image in Ifranview it goes blurry I can manually refocus using the sharpen scale that Ifranview has but doing these the original focus that was great never is the same, other photo-shops will automatically refocus a edited photo to its original focus that the picture was taken at....Im shooting with a high end Digital SLR and the focus is pretty much perfect all the time and I want to keep the original focus.

JRS