Brunton Multi-nav Gps

wasper

I'm new and looking to buy a GPS unit.I've been reading about the Brunton Multi-Nav and the Garmin Vista. Can anyone compare these 2 units for features,user friendly,ect., I want to buy a unit that I can use for geocaching,camping,hunting,and maybe even vehicle direction finding(if price permits this). I have been looking at the Garmin Geko 201 and the new 301,but this is getting kind of confusing trying to compare things I just don't understand just yet.........THANKS in advance for any help I can get!

The Garmins are easy enough to compare. I know nothing about the Brunton. By in large there is Garmin and Magellan and everyone else is playing catch-up.

The 201 is a basic nice small unit. The 201 or yellow eTrex is about as low as you want to go.

The 301 adds an electronic compass and altimeter. The compass is good for getting a direction when standing still. The 201 can give you a compass heading, but you must be moving in a area where it can get a signal so I can figure out where it's going. Likewise the altimeter is good for accurately figuring out your altitude. The altitude from GPS is not very accurate.

The Vista adds mapping. You can upload maps to the unit so that you can see where "here" is on a map. The 201 and 301 can only tell you "here" in terms of numbers and programmed waypoints, it can't show you roads and stuff.

ive been running a mns for 2 years and really like it,a newbie wants to get in on geo ,so ive turned him towards the vista,money is the hold back,something nice and from all reports a good unit,never ran one.the mns is a plain jane unit but very accurate and a great undercover unit in heavy trees etc,its alt. and foecasting capibilities are good too,great resolution,i use it all the time for speed checks going down the road ,and i will get another one when i wear this one out,the 5 year warrenty is a plus too,its a little hard on batteries,easy to calibrate the compass and man its dead on for sure,no maps ,or highways ,but you can down load from brunton the lastest mods.the go back feature is great just run off the compass and save batteries,ive studied the v adn like the features that it has ,but the little joy stick quirks well i dont know.mns is easy to get use too and its a tuff machine.have a great day.

well the mnsdoes have pc capatible mapping software avaible and it does have tracklog in the upgrade software avaible on line and i have used the v now for a week and it does have lots of features in it and lots of stuff but i sure like the screen better in the mns and both are right on target on the cordinates,take your pick ill stay with the mns and ill get out a map and study ,,