Is Bear Repellant Legal In Canada?

Insp Gadget

I do a lot of hiking and Geocaching alone and in the woods. There are several black bears in the area. I saw at a hiking store that they sell a bottle of bear repellant, which is basically pepper spray. In Canada, this product is considered to be a prohibited weapon, so I am wondering if it is legal to sell this in a store and buy this to carry for my purpose? Naturally the store says it's fine. I called the local RCMP and spoke to the Inspector in charge twice who said he wasn't sure and would get back to me. Naturally he never did. A forest ranger told me he didn't think so. It seems noone knows if this is a legal product or not.

Does anyone know about this product and if it's legal to buy and carry in the woods?

Yes it is but be carefull crossing the border. Make sure you tell them you have it and be prepared to justify the reason for it. Also, you may have difficulty bringing it back to the US.

I have no personal experience with crossing the border with bear spray - this is just what I have heard from others.

I do own pepper spay and take it with me on any wilderness trip I do. I bought it on-line from a Canadian supplier and had it mailed to me. No problems.

It is perfectly legal - that is bear spray is legal, as I understand it pepper spray for use on humans is not so don't carry it on your belt unless you are actually in the woods.

And for what it's worth, bears are not really a problem and I have never worried about them much. I have only seen two and both ran away very fast as soon as they saw me. I bought mine when I started to take my young son on wilderness trips just because it made me feel better to have it when he was around. When doing any extending hiking in bear country I wear a bear bell. If I had to choose between a bear bell and bear spray, I'd pick the bear bell.

Les.

Edited by lessenergy

You can buy pepper spray bear repellant in BC but Mace is prohibited. I believe you have to sign a waiver stating you won't be using it on humans. I however do think giving an offending person a dose of pepper spray is probably a lot better than other more severe options.

Personally I'd rather share the woods with the bears than with hikers wearing noisy bear dinner bells.

I believe you have to sign a waiver stating you won't be using it on humans. I however do think giving an offending person a dose of pepper spray is probably a lot better than other more severe options.

A little bit off-topic here, but would the bear spray have the same effect on a human? I have seen some of the bear sprays used, so much comes out that it looks like a fire extinguisher going off, using that much on a human would really be giving them a good soaking...LOL...

I believe you have to sign a waiver stating you won't be using it on humans. I however do think giving an offending person a dose of pepper spray is probably a lot better than other more severe options.

A little bit off-topic here, but would the bear spray have the same effect on a human? I have seen some of the bear sprays used, so much comes out that it looks like a fire extinguisher going off, using that much on a human would really be giving them a good soaking...LOL...

During my 8 year term with the RCMP as an Auxiliary, I was trained in the use of pepper spray and carried it each day on duty. The magic ingredient in this is olerosian capsicum (sp?) which was 10% in the small can and it's the same 10% that's in the can of bear repellant.

I called a friend of mine who is in the RCMP and he pointed me to this web site:

http://www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca/en/owners_users/...s/bulletin8.asp

Looks like it's ok to carry the large cans for controlling wildlife! Woo Hoo! I know that in all my years of being in the woods I have never seen a bear, but it does make me feel a bit better knowing that I have the option if I do come acros one.....

Lessons learned From the Far North!

As someone quoted earlier most Black bears turn and run when spotting humans. This is true. Grizzlies, however can be quite a different matter. I once asked a native trapper friend of mine how do you know if you are in a balck bear area or a grizzly area.

He said "It is very easy to tell by their droppings."

"What's the difference?" I asked.

"Well", he replied sagely, "Black bear droppings have little berries in them and smell awful. Grizzly droppings have little bells in them and smell like pepper!"

:P;)