Cache Disable Timeout?

ohgr

I recently searched for a cache Seventeen Palms Oasis Cache

The cache has been burned off the face of the earth, I logged it as a DNF, it was subsequently disabled. Today I noticed that it was off the disabled list. But in the description there was no mention of it being replaced and the original description has not changed.

Description says cache was in a log on the ground, There is no more log on the ground, Just ashes.

Tried to contact the cache owner, but my email just bounced back to me.

In these cases who should you contact, your local cache reviewer?

Just add a note to the cache page asking if it has really been enabled and hope the owner sees it?

Just a thought, shouldn't there be some kind of button like:

Click here to send a note to the reviewer responsible for caches in this area.

So that people will know who their local reviewer even is. I know who mine is, but only because I recently placed a cache.

Thanks for any help,

Ohgr

In a case like this one where the cache is obviously gone and the cache owner hasn't logged onto the site in months and e-mails bounce I would recommend logging "needs archived".

Those alerts go out to the cache reviewers. In a cut and dried (and burned) case like this one we'd archive the cache to open up the area to the placement of a replacement by someone who is active in the sport. Thanks!

erik - geocaching.com admin

When a cache is temporarily disabled, there is no automatic "timeout." Sometimes I wish there was! Cache owners sometimes leave their caches disabled for months and months. The feature is intended for use on a temporary basis -- normally a few weeks -- until a cache can be maintained. There are logical exceptions for situations like caches placed high in the mountains, which stay disabled through the winter months, so we really can't program a "rule" for this.

If this burned-out cache was re-activated after being disabled, the only way for this to happen is if the owner or an admin/reviewer clicks the "Enable this Cache" button. Normally the admins and reviewers don't go around looking for disabled caches and randomly re-enabling them. Just because your e-mail to the owner bounced doesn't necessarily mean they are not still accessing the website.

What to do about this problem, or others like it?

1. Always write to the owner first, like you tried to do.

2. Post a "Cache Should be Archived" note, since the cache and cache area are burned out. A volunteer reviewer will respond to the post.

3. Write to the general contact at geocaching.com address.

While we are discussing ways to list the volunteer reviewers and the areas they are responsible for, it would be quite challenging to program the "logic" into the cache pages so that automatic notices can be sent. Reviewers are added, reviewers retire or take an extended break, they go on vacation. People cover for each other during absences or busy periods. We shuffle areas of responsibility quite regularly to even out the workload. Several areas are covered by multiple reviewers. Jeremy's a great coder but I'd hate to ask him to build and maintain an automated way of keeping track of the 40 volunteers.

EDIT: While I was composing this reply, Erik not only answered your question, but he also archived the cache. Serves me right for being so long-winded.

Edited by Keystone Approver