I Predict:

AltDotAir

One of the things we'll have to deal with when this gets more mainstream (and it will) is "underground" geocaching, the deliberate placement of caches in forbidden places. (I'm already tempted by golf courses myself, sigh.)

While I'm sure the official site will discourage this, it's going to happen.

And you know what? Inevitably, somewhere sometime, somebody's going to be badly hurt while geocaching. Just good odds.

The best thing we can do is to keep up the positive aspects, trashing out, family friendliness, etc. Be prepared.

I don't mean to be depressive, just realistic.

== Alt dot Air ==

umm ok.

I say so what, let them hide them where they may but if a finder gets hurt its probably their own fault. If I get hurt doing anything whether its geocaching or not its my own fault and my judgement that got me there.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Coming Around, New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

I've re-read your post a few times now and I too am left wondering what your point really is.

No disrespect intended, but from my point of view, geocaching is already "mainstream". It's certainly mainstream compared to what the sport was like 1 1/2 years ago when I started. I doubt we're ever going to see geocaching in the Olympics, so I'm not sure what you feel has to happen to make it "mainstream".

I do hope you realize that people have already gotten hurt geocaching. It happens. It will continue to happen. It's no different than any other active sport. People get hurt mountain biking, trail running, rock climbing, sking, riding dirt bikes, etc. Geocaching is no different. Especially when you take people physically and/or mentally unprepared to tackle the harsh reality of what nature can dish out, you're going to have accidents. I've heard a few horror stories so far, but I'm sure the worst ones we never hear about on the forums.

As far as placement, people are always trying to put caches in "forbidden" places. This is also not new. As an admin, I can assure you we try our best to keep the worst of those out. That's one of the major reasons there is an approval process at all. Even still, some slip by. Just ask Hillwilly from CA what can happen if you put a cache in a "forbidden" place.

You are correct that we should stay focused on the positive. Overall, geocaching is a very positive and safe sport. Geocachers in general are also some of the nicest, most respectful people I've met.

Cache on! icon_biggrin.gif

Scott / Brokenwing

-There's a thin line between geocaching and walking in circles like an idiot.-

No offense here either, but.....

I have noticed your registration date is September 2002. You have 6/1 hide/find. Maybe a little hasty on predicting geocaching to become "mainstream" without a more vast knowledge of this {addiction} we have?

I say hats off to you, though, for your excitement and wanting to get more deeply involved.

I'm not far ahead of you. I've been a member since April this year and I have been involved, encountered, seen, witnessed and heard a wealth of interesting things while on the hunt/hide/find and the blissful forum posts icon_smile.gif . Keep the charisma high and enjoy what you do!

quote:
Originally posted by AltDotAir:

And you know what? Inevitably, somewhere sometime, somebody's going to be badly hurt while geocaching. Just good odds.

== Alt dot Air ==

Hurt really bad? A guy down in LA died of heat stroke while geocaching. Is that bad enough. I don't see his family sueing.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

quote:
Originally posted by AltDotAir:

One of the things we'll have to deal with when this gets more mainstream (and it will) is "underground" geocaching, the deliberate placement of caches in forbidden places.

Actually, i've found that since geocaching has gone mainstream (about the time i joined, in my opinion), the placement of geocaches has gotten more and more legal. Two years ago, you could find them on bridge supports, train trestles, and state parks. While you can still find them in state parks, chances are they are there by permission. And the keen-eyed admins usually catch the train trestle ones and the like before they are ever approved.

I hate to discourage new people, but if Markwell were here, he'd cite precedent on this topic so fast it would make your arrow spin.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed