Uses For Ammo Cans

There have been some posts lately about ammocan caches being vandalized - to the point where some folks remove the ammo can and actually leave the cache contents.

Some think that these could be other geocachers too cheap to buy their own can. I think that they are poorly hidden caches in very well traversed areas and are stolen by the locals.

In any case, people are stealing them for some reason. Why? I am among the many who just think that ammo cans are really cool. Could that be the only reason why people want them so bad?

So what can ammo cans be used for? I'll start:

1. Geocaching

2. CRK (Cache Repair Kit)

3. First Aid Kit

4. Floating bouy

5. (oh yeah) Storing ammo

There have got to be other good uses for this military wonder box...

---------------

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

How about:

School lunch box.

Oh, yeah, that'd go over like a concrete ballon! Could you imagine the first kid to walk in the door carrying that lunch box! The school would be on CNN before he got out of the principal's office.

348_2702.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

Oh, yeah, that'd go over like a concrete ballon! Could you imagine the first kid to walk in the door carrying that lunch box! The school would be on CNN before he got out of the principal's office.

Even if it was painted pink with "Barney the Dinosaur" decals? icon_wink.gif

("Momma, they blew up Barney!" and all adults rejoiced . . .)

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

Even if it was painted pink with "Barney the Dinosaur" decals? icon_wink.gif

("Momma, they blew up Barney!" and all adults rejoiced . . .)

Wow.. I would have thought I was really cool if I had an ammo box lunch box in elementary school. As it was, I had to be happy with a Dukes of Hazzard lunch box.

I used four ammo boxes an an extended canoe trip last year. 1 30-caliber for film storage, 2 50-caliber (one as first-aid kit, and one held the stove and lanterns) and a really big one that held our food. It was completely animal proof.

The only negative was their weight. If I were to take such a trip again, I might consider not using ammo boxes, but I have to say that they help up perfectly. I painted the lids white so that they wouldn't get too hot.

Jamie

I use them mainly for tool boxes. I plan to use one to hold cooking utensils while camping. I have seen them used as a first aid kit container.

Last year I took a whitewater trip down Cataract Canyon on the Colorado River. We used ammo boxes to store personal items, such as cameras, sunblock, and snacks. We lashed them to the raft where they were quickly accessible. A larger version (rocket box) was used for storing food and other gear. We also hauled out garbage in them.

They are handy for anything you need to keep dry, maps, cell phones, ect. A cheap alternative to more expensive dry storage boxes for boating.

I just bough a bunch of 30 cal ammo cans for $2 a piece...all in nice shape. They had the 50 cal size for only $3.99 a piece, but I prefer the smaller 30 cal size.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

I may get one and paint it purple for my daughter. Heck... her friends say her momma wears combat boots, so I guess I should just leave it AS IS. icon_smile.gif I haven't asked my wife for guidance on this, yet. Maybe this should just be an executive decision. I claim head-of-household. Might as well act like it every now and then.

As for the plastic Wal-Mart ammo cans, I saw some on their website - $12. icon_frown.gif I went by my local store, and nuthin'. I'll stick to the mean green giant. icon_smile.gif

---------------

I may get one and paint it purple for my daughter. Heck... her friends say her momma wears combat boots, so I guess I should just leave it AS IS. icon_smile.gif I haven't asked my wife for guidance on this, yet. Maybe this should just be an executive decision. I claim head-of-household. Might as well act like it every now and then.

As for the plastic Wal-Mart ammo cans, I saw some on their website - $12. icon_frown.gif I went by my local store, and nuthin'. I'll stick to the mean green giant. icon_smile.gif

---------------