Offset coordinates...What if You're wrong?

Recently, I had a problem with some offset coordinates in a multi-cache. The original cache page gave incorrect instructions to solve for the second set of coordinates. As a result, I spent hours trying to find the cache and was apprehended by police because I was searching in the wrong area. Had the coordinates been correct it seems like a safe, responsible placement. What could a cacher do when placing a cache to ensure that a misinterpretation of offset coordinates wouln't cause a seeker to look in the wrong spot?

quote:
Originally posted by BloenCustoms:

As a result, I spent hours trying to find the cache and was apprehended by police because I was searching in the wrong area. Had the coordinates been correct it seems like a safe, responsible placement.

Maybe add a clue or description of the area you should be searching?

so was this a new cache? icon_confused.gif Please don't take this the wrong way, but If you didnt find it the first hour why didnt you go and recheck yourself or decode the hint or something?icon_confused.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

I certainly hope that you don't blame your aprehension on the cache placer. It is the responsibility of the cache seeker to determine whether or not they are going to enter an area.

With that said, a cache owner could use a sort of checksum to help cachers know that they have the right numbers.

For example, if the math indicates that the waypoint is at:

N 43 29.820 W 119 49.800

The cache owner could say, add up all the individual digits, and your result should be 60.

This isn't *perfect*, but it would help catch some mistakes.

They could also have you multiply the minor parts of the coordinates together, eg. 29.820 times 49.800 and say that the result should be 1485.036.

Any other number would indicate an error, either on their part or yours.

To further clarify, the cache description might read: "After you figure out the coordinates for this next waypoint, add up all of the digits (eg. 29.07 = 2+9+0+7 = 18), and if your result is not exactly 60, the coordinates are not correct."

In this thread all I can say to you is these are the risks a first finder takes. There is always the chance for error on the cache placer's part. It is for this reason that some folks don't want to be first finders. I like to go find a cache first, if I can, but there is risk. One rainy, stormy day I searched and searched only to find out later that the coordinates were wrong. It wasn't a long drive. Another time it was snowy and cold, but I went, and the coordinates weren't even on the right side of the pond. In the first case I didn't post a note, but e-mailed the owner, and I wasn't the only one. In the second case I posted a note on the page, I wasn't the only one then, either. So take it in stride. Sorry you had a run in with the officers, but these things happen. Try to go caching when the parks are open. And be safe. And leave the machete at home.

Cache you later,

Planet

"You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will

give you a look that says, 'My God, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

I did a multi-leg this week end that called for a way point projection. When I arrived at the projected way point, it was inside an apartment building. Knowing this could not be correct, we re-did the projection, just to ensure accurate entries. Still no good. Then I changed my compass reading from magnetic to true, and hit the point exactly.

'A good traveler has no specific destination, and isn't intent on arriving.'-take pleasure in the journey

Thanks to all for the advice. I have an idea for a cache in the future and I think I'll borrow that coordinate summing system. Seems like a good way to allow cachers to check themselves. The chance of arriving at another set of digits which equal the same exists, but is probably pretty remote.

Happy Caching,

Ron icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

I certainly hope that you don't blame your aprehension on the cache placer. It is the responsibility of the cache seeker to determine whether or not they are going to enter an area.

With that said, a cache owner could use a sort of checksum to help cachers know that they have the right numbers.

For example, if the math indicates that the waypoint is at:

N 43 29.820 W 119 49.800

_

I'm not big on the check sum idea. What if I calculated N 43 29.819 W 119 49.799? I would be close enough to find the cache but the check sum would completely throw me off.

It's a risk you take anytime you walk out the door. What you can do is if you want to be sure, email the cache owner with the coordinates and ask if you're close.

Now, if the cache owner made the mistake, the owner can catch it themselves before you head out the door.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

I'm not big on the check sum idea. What if I calculated N 43 29.819 W 119 49.799? I would be close enough to find the cache but the check sum would completely throw me off.

I don't intend for the method to be used in situations where the numbers are not exact. I should have been more clear about that in my reply.

If the situation is one in which the cache placer says "enter the address of the building in the blank", that's an exact number. Pretty hard to screw that up, but I managed. icon_smile.gif Anouther example is where a cache placer uses math, eg. Multiply the number on a benchmark by 50 and put that in the blank.

For situations where exact numbers are used, I believe that a checksum is appropriate and useful.

Perhaps we should all submit our college transcripts or other authoritative certification to be evaluated by Groundspeak's highly trained professionals. Then, if you wish to place a cache involving math, or wish to hunt a cache where you have to do math, you can be pre-qualified so as to not screw things up on either end.... icon_razz.gif

don