need adapter

topcat

I just picked up one at Radio Shack last month to use on one of our new laptops in China ... so far so good ... used it to hook up and old model scanner. I think it was about $39.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

Well for hooking it up to the axim I don't believe the usb to serial cable is going to be much help to you. I have some info posted at http://www.mdgps.net/pocketcaching/ if you're looking for help connecting up to the axim.

quote:
Originally posted by topcat:

Where can I get the best price for a serial to usb adapter? I want to connect Vista to laptop and or Dell axium

If you don't know where you've been.... you will never get to where your going

"Law pain i reviar mistar aen"

Hooking up a serial cable to a USB port is more than a cable ... it's a bit more compliated than that. I've never taken one apart to see what's in there ... but, I actually had to install a set of drivers to get the laptop to communicate with the scanner.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

Well most adapters you install a driver and it a fire and forget kinda thing.

The thing is with a Dell Axim your looking at a whole differnt ball of wax hooking the GPS to the Dell. You have to do a little cable voodoo to get everything to play nice.

I have a Bilken adapter that worked for a week or 2 and then the gps and the laptop just stopped playing nice. Works on the home machine with some other seial devices its just not happy at all with the gps any more. YOur going to find that your about 50/50 on getting some to work or not.

Good luck

-Robert