Chicago Information

Shadow's

Well I posted about my up coming trip and would like some more information. Time is VERY important here. I have very little.

I would like to know what items you feel rep. Chicago the most. In other words I am looking for items that I can bring back to West Texas that, 1. are not real expencive, 2. not real big, 3. show where I got them, and 4. represent Chicago.

I also need to know the location where I can find these items.

I have emailed several cachers in the Chicago area about my trip. Please email me back.

Thank You,

Rick

Ah my childhood hometown. City of big shoulders, stacker of wheat, hog butcher to the world; to paraphrase Carl Sandburg. Chicago is a city of neighborhoods that each have a unique cultural backround. The near northside is a polish area with almost as many poles as Warsaw. There is the southside with the Irish catholic parishes. I guess what I'm saying is there might not be an item such as you request. I would suggest visiting a couple of great spots insteasd and figure out for yourself what Chitown is all about. The Museum of Science and Industry in Jackson Park on the southside, a building built from the remains of the 1892 Columbian Expo, The Art Institue with a great collection of Grant Wood and Monet paintings, Portillos for a Italian Beef, the Billy Goat tavern across from the Trib Tower, the Sears Tower and of course the Shedd Aquarium ( maybe back to Portillos for another beef) Visit these places you might be able in two days depending on how long you spend in the goat. Above all have a great time it is not the second city by any stretch.

Pat

quote:
Originally posted by Shadow's:

I would like to know what items you feel rep. Chicago the most. In other words I am looking for items that I can bring back to West Texas that, 1. are not real expencive, 2. not real big, 3. show where I got them, and 4. represent Chicago.

I also need to know the location where I can find these items.

There's several "Chicago" stores in the major malls and downtown that sell little touristy kitchy things that are emblazened with CHICAGO on them (spoons, shot glasses, etc.). Anything Cubs is really big right now (for obvious reasons). There are snow globes with the lions from the art institute, etc.

If your looking for neat locations that are quirky and interesting, try out this cache for ideas (multiple coordinates provided).

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Whatever you do don't put catsup/ketchup on your hot dog!!! Cheap, easy to carry and represents Chicago. Hmmmm, you could bring home some wind!

I went to Maine and found an inexpensive store and got magnets and shot glasses, but glass should be put in its own small container before putting it in a cache IMHO.

Planet