Longest a Cache Has Gone Before First Find

Does anyone have any information on the longest a somewhat accessible cache in the United States has gone without having the first find logged?

I notice that a lot of my local caches don't survive a day before the first find is logged. I think that's interesting, and thus, it makes me want to create a challege of my next hide.

Now, I know there's caches in the middle east, and presumably other countries, that don't get logged for a while, but I'm interested in caches where people, even if they have all the information in front of them, can't figure out where the next clue is on a multi, or have a hard time finding the container because its so well hidden. Things like that. Times when its not the faulty math of the hider, or a flaw in the cache, but its just a really well hidden cache.

I have an idea for a hide that I'm about to put into action, and the idea leaves room for me to make it somewhat easier... or very much harder. If I put the very much harder version into effect, I envision people knowing their in the right spot, somewhat knowing what their looking for, but having a heck of a time locating the needle in the haystack (so to speak).

So, depending on my level of sadism the day I hide it, and the level of masocism I interpret from reponses here, my idea can be tweeked to fit my mood.

Any thoughts and/or data?

Pan

Cachito ergo sum. I Geocache, therefore I am.

Shafer Meadows and Thunderbolt were both placed in Montana in July of 2001 and have never been found. Both are accessable, and straight forward caches. You just need time and energy to find them. They should be found this summer, by August I would guess since several local cachers have them in their sights.

-Jennifer

edit- can't spell today

Where am I going? I ain't certain.

When will I get there? I don't know.

All as I know is I am on my way!

quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer & Dean:

Shafer Meadows and Thunderbolt were both placed in Montana in July of 2001 and have never been found.

Well, Thunderbolt is an overnight trip and the Meadows WAS FLOWN IN BY AIRPLANE! icon_eek.gif So that's not exactly what I meant by "accessible." icon_wink.gif

My cache would be in a forest right off a road. Easy to get to, but I'd work your butt off to locate it.

Pan

The farther out the cache the less people who will find it.

If I hike in 80 miles barefoot and naked I sure as heck don't want a skunk.

There is a cache that is a 1/2 mile hike, no big deal, but you have to get to the hiking place and it's never been found except right after it was placed. It might make it a year before someone else makes the trip.

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by TinSparrow:

There is a puzzle cache called the dragonfly scroll which went for more than five months before the puzzle was cracked. This may not qualify as accessible based upon the difficulty of the puzzle.

That's exactly what I was talking about. I presume once you decipher the Scroll, the hike in isn't too lengthy.

For me, the five months waiting for people to figure out the location, with the notes posted regarding progress seems like fun.

My idea isn't a puzzle cache, but I think that parts of it will be tough.

Pan