Making geocaching.com available offline in IE6 on laptop.....

Seay me

I just got a laptop that has windows 2000 and IE6. I've never really messed with offline pages before. I got the the page that has caches in my local area and tried to make it available offline, but when I view the page the 'details' link isn't available. I selected the option to syncronize links 3 deep but it just doesn't seem to work.....

Any ideas?

Chip

Yeah, I thought about that, but I'd have to save each cache page that I'd want to keep. I was hoping to save the site with a 1 link depth so I could view the page with the caches in my area, then I'd be able to click on the details link to get the info on the cache. I'd also be able to syncronize the site at any given time to get the updated info on my laptop.

I'm sure it works and I'm just not doing it right.

I'm hoping to get some mapping software on here soon so I can do some 'playing'. I want to play with the real time tracking feature that some of the mapping software has. I was thinking MS Streets and Trips....I have the '2 second' hack for the 2002 version.

Chip

Are you a member? If so, the Pocket Query Generator may be the answer. MobiPocket Reader has a version for the desktop or laptop as well as the Pocket PC, and it works pretty well. I just received a file containing the nearest 500 caches and can view the pages (slightly different format from the website) on my PC. As well, the file for download to EasyGPS is available. I must say, I'm impressed with it so far!

Thanks for the tip on mobi reader...I didn't know they made it for the PC. I did a pocket query in ebook format and it's nearly exactly what I'm looking for. The list of caches with the details without having to go to each page to download them.

I just thought that the offline website idea would be good becaust I'd be able to syncronize the online geocaching with the offline geocaching on th laptop.

I can handle the pocketquery with the mobireader though......or maybe I just need to get a PC Card modem that can work with mobile phones!!!! (just kidding.

Thanks again.

Chip

....I am a premium member and I have created two queries.

I recieve them as .prc files for my Handspring Prism and as .loc for EasyGPS. I have had success using both.

What I am wondering is this. Do I understand this thread correctly that I can read that file in mobipocket on my laptop?

If that is the case it would be doubly useful to me as I take my laptop caching with me and use it connected to a MAG 315 with a mapping program to take me to the parking lot before the hike.

So, can I read the .prc type file while offline on my laptop as well as my Prism?

Thanks....Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

...while you were posting at 4:11, that's exactly what I did !

I don't know if this was available a few weeks ago when I did the PDA part, or not, but I have it now and it works great looking at my pocket queries !

Now to try the down to PDA link !

Glad I read this thread !

Ron (343 found/95 hidden)

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.