i saw a compass and degrees at sears

today in the automotive sections at sears i came across a digital compass and it had 325 degrees (as an example) under the NW (as example) on the sample..my guess is that the 325 degrees is for the rotation on a compass...it has suctions cups to adhere to your windsheild...

anyone else see one of these??....i wonder if i hold this in my hands instead that it would work like a compass but take all the guess work out of it since its all digital....

i know its nothing since GPS units have this type stuff in it but for letterboxers it would be great since some of the hints tell you to go NE at 45 degrees....

just curious....

wanda texas

quote:
Originally posted by Dave_W6DPS:

Try:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=12091984&parent_category_rn=4500598

Or

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47528648&parent_category_rn=4500598

Athough personally I prefer http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=4019739&parent_category_rn=4500598

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

[This message was edited by Dave_W6DPS on June 12, 2003 at 09:35 PM.]

yes those look similar to the one i saw...much more expensive tho ;(.....i had never seen a digital compass before....cool!!!!

You'd probably need a 12-volt battery if it is the kind that plugs in the cigarette lighter. Hopefully it works on an internal battery. I have no idea on how accurate it would be though. I just use the projection feature of my GPS and I also carry a plain old ordinary magnetic compass.

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo

quote:
Originally posted by Theole34:

lensatic or bust.

I've got a lensatic compass, but I find it moves very slowly and sometimes takes a very long time to settle. Doesn't seem to be a problem getting stuck, as it moves very smoothly; just very slowly. I'm thinking of getting a low end orienteering compass just to speed things up when I'm in a hurry and don't need incredible accuracy.

Does anyone know if this slowness is common with lensatic compasses, or is mine the exception?

Thanks,

SylvrStorm

*** Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry, and they laugh at you. ***

Originally posted by Cracker7M:

SylvrStorm, does it happen to be a Kronus?/QUOTE]

Nope. Engineer. At least I presume that's the brand name. It's the only word on it other than "Lensatic Compass" and "Taiwan".

Why? Is there something I should know about Kronus?

*** Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry, and they laugh at you. ***

Geocacher

posted June 13, 2003 09:16 AM

quote:

Originally posted by Theole34:

lensatic or bust.

I've got a lensatic compass, but I find it moves very slowly and sometimes takes a very long time to settle. Doesn't seem to be a problem getting stuck, as it moves very smoothly; just very slowly. I'm thinking of getting a low end orienteering compass just to speed things up when I'm in a hurry and don't need incredible accuracy.

Does anyone know if this slowness is common with lensatic compasses, or is mine the exception?

``````````

Does the lid lock the dial while it is closed? if so then the dial lock may not be fuly disengaged, try fully opening the cover

Jeff Scism, IBSSG http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/

Is it more important to know what you are talking about,

or more important to talk about what you know?

the seeking is in the knowing

and not where you've been

Travelling is the going

isn't learning Keen?