compasses

I was tooling around amazon today and came across the brunton 8096 gps eclipse compass. In the description it says it has "UTM roamer scales and confidence circles [to] compensate for GPS inaccuracies" Does anyone have any idea what this means? There was no other details or explanations, not even on the brunton website.

Think of yourself standing at a cache. When you are there your GPS will say "You are XX ft from where I think that cache is".

If you drew a circle around where the GPS said zero was at and made the circle the size of the GPS error it should include that cache which was the point of interest plus a bunch of other ground.

It's another way to say "you are within this area" with the circle you can see that area on a map.

I'm not sure it's usefull with 20' accuracy or better on current GPS's though.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

I use the Brunton Eclipse as my primary compass both for Caching & Search & Rescue. The main reason that I stick with it is because it has a UTM corner ruler built in for several map scales. I must say though that I have never used the GPS circles however, it is nive to not have to reach for a seperate UTM reader.