Seeking Library Caches

honeychile

I bought a cool fake book, very large, that looks very realistic. Instead of pages, there are tiny latches revealing a box inside. I'd love to get permission to put this in our local library as a novel (pun not intended) geocache. My thinking is to hide the book on the shelves in some obscure area, get the librarian to put a regular library tag on the book, along with a "placed with permission" label inside.

The posted coordinates would lead to the front door of the library and a puzzle would eventually give the call letters (or maybe title) of the fake book. Our library has a lot of lovely artwork, displays, and sculptures inside that would be good fodder for puzzles, and would make a fun cache for a rainy day.

I know of at least two similar caches elsewhere, but I'd like to be able to cite several more to convince our local (very conservative) librarians that this idea would not cause trouble and would, hopefully, showcase some of the displays and resources that the library has to offer.

Would you email me if you own (or have found) a library cache in your area? If you post information in this thread, please do not reveal cache secrets or identify specific caches. It's such a fun idea that I'd hate to spoil it for anyone.

If you have comments about this concept, I'd be interested in hearing that, too.

Thank you for your help!

honeychile

I believe there is one in San Francisco and one in San Diego that I'm aware of. Sorry I don't have the markwell for you; I haven't done either of these caches yet.

I was also reading a multi a little closer to home that describes going into the library at UC at Santa Cruz and pull out a book for the coordinates on the next stage. Or at least that's what it sounded like from the description.

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

This is a great idea - the trick will be finding a library to go along. If I had my own library, I'd let you. I would suggest trying a smaller branch library rather than bigger - the bigger the library, the more red tape crap that would have to occur. Look for a library with a younger director - I hate to stereotype, as I do know some very hip "older" librarians, but, like everything else, the library profession is changing, and the younger generation (like me!) is a lot "cooler" than one might expect.

Good Luck!

Jessica

Are you on the trail that leads to my cache?

This link will pull up all caches with the word ''library'' in the name, many of which are in or near libraries.

If you want to be a little sneaky, simply print out the list and represent it at representative of, let's say, how interested geocachers are in libraries!

This one is a neat multicache along the lines of what you describe, except you use clues found in the catalog entries (neat!) to find the coords.

I love the concept, a friend of mine works in the children's department of a library and they LOVE anything that gets more people in and promotes using the libraries services.

Enjoy,

Randy

Go talk to the wise old Sage and he will lead you on an interesting journey.

It hasn't been touched in over 600 days, so maybe I should put a real Cache or two someplace in the route.

I have several other caches that send them to the libraries and the librarians thought it was neat that people showed up for the caches. But over time most interest has waned so I'll have to do something to liven them up.

Tahosa - Dweller of Mountain Tops.

quote:
Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

Honeychile, you'll love this one. It's a mini/urban/multi/offset library cache that is stuffed with about 50 geocaching buttons _by honeychile:_http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=91845.

Omigoodness! I DO love that one! How nice of you to give my buttons a plug, too! I put buttons in this cache, too -- I made some special buttons with an old-timey looking picture of a kid laying on the ground absorbed in a book. The caption reads, "Books open up - you fall in." I'm hoping that will help with my quest to get permission.

I thought about a bookstore as someone else mentioned, but I felt that stepped over the "no commercial caches" rule, and so I'm hoping to get permission from the library. Actually ::D: the only thing I'm waiting on now is for my latest case of poison ivy to heal so that I don't look like a mutant when I pitch my idea to the librarian!

Thanks again for all the help.

Not all of them use the word "Library" in the title. There's ours in Phoenix, for example, similar ones in Newark, NJ,Lubbock and Houston, TX, Columbia, MO, and of course the one in San Francisco we copied the idea off of (with permission). Man,I hope I got all those and formatting correct.

I'm sure there are dozens more with other variations that I haven't come across. Or, in the immortal words of Tom Lehrer,

These are the only ones of which the news has come to Harvard

And there may be many others but they haven't been discarvard.

Steve

Team Tierra Buena

This cache of mine sounds just like what you're planning.

I had this cache located in a library in Boston, until I moved from the area. I'm still planning on getting it up and running in Worcester as soon as I have a chance.

Pan

Fact is that there is nothing out there you can't do,

Yeah, even Santa Claus believes in you...

Floyd of Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem, from "Can You Picture That?"