Cache Value

I picked up my cache container and a couple of items at the dollar store. Added new fishing lures, a multitool, mini screw driver set, compass, calculator, stuffed animal and couple of other toys for the kids making the cache alone worth about $20. Can add gas and time for setup preparations, so its even more. Enjoyed every minute of it (even the mosquitos didnt deter me).Now i cant wait to set up another!

I'm near the end of setting a series of four caches.

Ignoring the microcaches that are the first legs of the multicaches, the prices for the final caches work out to:

$5 - .20 cal ammo can

$7 - spiffy write in the rain log book

$5 - one time use camera for photos of finders (stays with cache)

$10-15 - misc trinkets.

Figure roughly $30 per cache.

$3.99 - .50 Cal ammo box at Cheaperthandirt.com

$ .05 - 2 pencil sharpened at both ends

$ .50 - small spiral bound notebook

$ .29 - 1 small ziploc for log book & 1 large ziploc bag for cache items

$15 - $20 for stash items purchased at dollar stores, camping supply stores and supermarkets.

I've heard lots of complaints about cache values going down. Personally I don't give a rip, I'm one of those that thinks that the value is in the hunt.

But just for the people who worry about cache value going down I created The Worlds Worst Cache .

Usually around here an easy to find cache gets hit a couple of times on day one. For some reason this one is a virgin two days later.

Go figure

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

My oldest cache is only few months old...and it was stolen, so I can't really say about the current value.

A note about posting polls, though. Each user is only allowed to vote ONCE, and you can only select ONE choice...so asking two questions in one poll doesn't really work.

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

and it will be in the over $20 category. I'm trying to put together something unique but plan on adding a few toys for the geo-kiddies. I suspect that the toys (the least expensive additions to the chache) will be the first to get traded out so it will be an interesting experiment. I've found many times that things that I think are really cool aren't all that fascinating to others.

On a side note, many thanks to BrianSnat for providing the website addy for the place he bought his ammo can. I'm of the opinion that ammo cans make the best geocache containers. I finally tracked down an army surplus store but when I went there (about 20 miles away) it was closed. icon_frown.gif I just ordered two (couldn't see paying all that shipping for one!) so my cache is one step closer to becoming a reality. It's been a slow process but I'm getting excited now that things are wrapping up. icon_smile.gif

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

and it will be in the over $20 category. I'm trying to put together something unique but plan on adding a few toys for the geo-kiddies. I suspect that the toys (the least expensive additions to the chache) will be the first to get traded out so it will be an interesting experiment. I've found many times that things that I think are really cool aren't all that fascinating to others.

On a side note, many thanks to BrianSnat for providing the website addy for the place he bought his ammo can. I'm of the opinion that ammo cans make the best geocache containers. I finally tracked down an army surplus store but when I went there (about 20 miles away) it was closed. icon_frown.gif I just ordered two (couldn't see paying all that shipping for one!) so my cache is one step closer to becoming a reality. It's been a slow process but I'm getting excited now that things are wrapping up. icon_smile.gif

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

I am very frugal on my caches but I've never had any complaints about the contents. The value is also somewhat relative. I usually include items that items I have that may have cost a lot but have no value to me anymore, they do have value to those who trade for them though.

I purchased about 30 genuine Rubbermaid 1/2 to 1 gallon containers new for about a dime each. I got a bunch of mini-screwdriver sets for 40 cents each at a flea market, 10 cent stuffed animals at garage sales. Software & audio CDs from around the house, books we have read. About a buck for notebook and pens. Throw in a couple other small items and there you go. Complete cache <$10 easily. Part of the fun is searching for items to fill my caches and I never put anything in that I wouldn't trade for.

Rusty...

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I have several of the smaller ammo boxes. Same length and height as the .50 cal box, but 2 1/2 inches wide instead of 6 inches. I don't know much about ammo size, but the catalogs identify them as .20 cal boxes.

I think your catalogs are probably incorrect...there are several different sizes, but alas, no .20 caliber ammo to the best of my knowledge. The most popular I've seen are .50 and .30 caliber (AKA 7.62mm)...the M249 SAW boxes also looks promising for geocaches. For some reason, there are few people in my area willing to use ammo cans for caches despite their ready availability locally and relatively cheap prices here.

I've seen some that are quite large and look larger in capacity than a 5 gal. bucket...they're the 20mm, 120mm, and 80mm cans. Take a look at the link below, if you're inclined...my favorite is the 25mm box...I have one and they're really nice. If this guy still has any, I'll probably pick up a few, mark over the "dirty, nasty, scary, evil" parts and place them as caches.

http://www.calarmy.com/ammocan.htm

(No, I don't have anything to do with these folks...their prices look decent though...)

Jumpmaster