GPS vs MAP

pccandb

I just wanted to get a poll of what people this is better/more ethical to the sport, option 1 - to use the gps as the only directions fromthe time that you leave your doorstep OR option 2 - to use a map to get to the location and then a GPS for the last leg of the journey? Your comments will help me.

I like to research the area of the cache before heading that way. Makes finding legal parking and paths a little easier. I'm sure some like the adventure of finding these on the fly, though...I've done it a couple of times.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

I can't speak for everyne but I like to do both. I think most people in geocaching are map lovers and I'm no exception. I love to use topographic maps to navigate and I like my GPSr also.

Geocahing in it's puriest form would include maps I'm sure, but if you are familiar with the area chasing the cache with nothing but coordinates can be an exciting way to spend the day. But it can be frustrating also.

I have gone out without even the cache printout and had my share of find problems, because of accuracy issues, but in the long run geocaching isn't really designed to be too hardcore.

If you want to really get invovled with serious mapping and GIS/GPS type hobbies find out about your local orienteering club.

A little of both. I like the GPS for exact coordinate location, but the map is great for terrain analysis.

I make a topo of every cache hunt and use the GPS to pinpoint the objective. After that, I like to do a considerable amount of terrain association.

I suppose it's like climbing Trad and Bolted at the same time... icon_smile.gif

I prefer to put the Cache location on a TOPO map and find it by use of the map only. The GPS is only used as a last ditch effort or unless its a multi that requires the use of coordinates. And then I can still plot the spot using UTM's and go from there. Since the accuracy of a GPS can be off, I find there is little difference between maps and GPS. Sometimes the clues will even point the spot out, and sometimes (many times) my kids have the force. And I just sit down and let them look and they do find it. Basically they use me to get them close and they do the last minute search and scamble.

Tahosa - Dweller of the Mountain Tops.