bringing a cache down below snowline for the season

MacDaddy

I have two caches up above snowline, and road access is to be closed Nov. 1. I would like to bring them down to the road system for the winter, and then back up in the Spring when it melts down again. It is highly unlikely, given the population of this town (8000) and remoteness (Sitka, AK) that there will be any traffic to the site during this time.

Am I violating any unwritten code/law/belief, etc?

Thanks.

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

quote:
Originally posted by MacDaddy:

Am I violating any unwritten code/law/belief, etc?

If no one wrote it down then they can't prove it. icon_smile.gif If the cache is inaccessible and unfindable above the snowline, then there's probably nothing wrong with what you want to do, providing that it is hidden in a similar way as it was before (ie. same difficulty and terrain ratings) What you are willing to do for the enjoyment of the game and the visiting geocachers is a lot more than some others I have seen below the snow line.

OK by me, I would either make the caches inactive (which means you wouldn't necessarily have to move them), or move them and reset the coordinates on the cache pages. Either way, should be fine. I have a cache in a park that closes in Nov. I am going to leave the cache in place and check in the spring. Hopefully, the river won't eat it this spring...

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

Interesting concept of having two caches. A summer home and winter home for a cache. Inactivate for the season where it's not at.

That way you also keep track of which location they found it. Conceivably, if you trust your fellow geocachers you could add the extra challenge of asking them to move it at a certain date. Once they moved it they'd have to e-mail you to do the active/inactive flip and follow-up with a double-log, but that adds to the flavor of what I've come to appreciate from Jeremy's system. Flexibility in the system, use it in new ways never conceived, sort out the details as you go via discussion.

Hmmmm. Me thinks I have an idea for a snowbird cache.

This is perfectly fine, and (from what I hear) others have done the same. It's not something we have to worry about in Texas so I have no first hand experience though! Just make sure you update the cache page with new coordinates, description, and ratings and everything should be fine. I'd also post a small warning on the cache page that you are going to move it on X date so folks know not to hunt then.

Take care,

Scott / Brokenwing

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching