Hiking Stick Recommendations

Guest BigJim

Guest BigJim

I am thinking about getting a hiking stick. Does anyone have a recommendation? I know nothing about them -- not sure there is much to know about them. If anyone uses a stick and likes theirs, please respond.

Guest c.mathis

quote:
Originally posted by BigJim:

I am thinking about getting a hiking stick. Does anyone have a recommendation? I know nothing about them -- not sure there is much to know about them. If anyone uses a stick and likes theirs, please respond.

A straight piece of tree branch (already dead, of course) about shoulder height is great. No need to use synthetic materials or pay someone for what nature provides.

Guest bunkerdave

Depending on where you hike, good sticks can be difficult to find. I got mine for $10 at Wal-Mart. Not particularly romantic, but it is a great piece of wood.

Guest gnbrotz

I made my own very inexpensive model: 1" x 48" poplar dowel rod. Fashioned a dull point on the bottom and inserted a short piece of 1/4" thread in the top (for mounting camera, etc.). Total cost $3.50 plus about 30 minutes work.

------------------

Greg

N39°54.705'

W077°33.137'

Guest PharoaH

I have the trunk of a small crape myrtle that we removed from our landscape last year. It is very sturdy and didn't cost a dime! I have enjoyed many evenings sanding it down into a conversation piece when I couldn't be out caching. I did hear a few jokes about it at the Georgia Geocachers Association (GGA) meeting though! They said it was more like a baseball bat.

Guest Pete Holden

quote:
Originally posted by BigJim:

Forget the commercial, adjustable ones for $50-100 unless you just enjoy spending money. Get a pair cheapie aluminum ski poles when they're on sale. Pull off the rubber grip and cut it to length with a hacksaw so that your forearm is horizontal with the ground. Knock off the plastic thing on the bottom. I hiked over two hundred miles with mine before the aluminum tip started to show signs of wear. Then I drilled a hole through the center of the tip and epoxyed in a carbide masonary drill bit. I've gone several hundred miles since (really). You ought to be able to find a pair on sale for under $20.... Pete

Guest c_oflynn

Okay, I admit to buying a hiking stick icon_wink.gif Just got back from Alberta/BC, great trails out there. I bought one of thoese telescopng sticks, so it would fit in my bag nicely, as I don't like luggin around a long piece of wood all the time!

-Colin

Guest c_oflynn

Okay, I admit to buying a hiking stick icon_wink.gif Just got back from Alberta/BC, great trails out there. I bought one of thoese telescopng sticks, so it would fit in my bag nicely, as I don't like luggin around a long piece of wood all the time!

-Colin

Guest Gossamyrrh

I broke down and bought one from REI. $52 bux, but it telescopes and converts into a camera monopod. It also has a carbide tip on one end and a hard little knob on the other, should you need to "get your point across" so someone/thing that you encounter in the wild.

I've also slipped a few times...and it's the first thing I drop on my way to the ground. icon_smile.gif

Guest Gossamyrrh

I broke down and bought one from REI. $52 bux, but it telescopes and converts into a camera monopod. It also has a carbide tip on one end and a hard little knob on the other, should you need to "get your point across" so someone/thing that you encounter in the wild.

I've also slipped a few times...and it's the first thing I drop on my way to the ground. icon_smile.gif

Last month REI had a pair of trekking poles on sale for about $60. One for me and one for son "K." We really used them on our trip to Montana this summer. Telescoping feature was great for packing and you can shorten them for "uphill" and lengthen for "downhill."

Marcy

Guest BigFig

BigJim - what, you decided you needed a hiking stick after tackling "slick willie"?

I vote for a dogwood sapling. Them fancy sticks really don't have much over a plain old stick - except if you lose them it hurts. Lose a dogwood stick - just go cut another.

Guest Ttepee

My son bought himself the cheapy $10 job at Walmart too. He went on a two day hike on the appalachian trail with his camp group and it was a must have the night before for him. I thought it was a waste of money and that he'd toss it after the first few miles when he got tired of carrying it with a 30 lb pack on his back. In his eyes the sticks he'd picked up in the woods previously just weren't good enough and there was no way he was tossing this one. To my surprise his counselor said it was the hit of the hike. Anytime Tom got tired of lugging it around another child was always eager to take it over for him. I'm not keen on using them but maybe I just need to hike more to understand their usefulness.

Guest BigJim

quote:
Originally posted by BigFig:

BigJim - what, you decided you needed a hiking stick after tackling "slick willie"?

BigFig - After tackling slick willie, what a I really needed was a bottle of oxygen and shot of tequila! icon_smile.gif But you are correct, ol' slick willie prompted the question for sure!

Thanks everyone for their suggestions.

Guest BigJim

quote:
Originally posted by BigFig:

BigFig - After tackling slick willie, what a I really needed was a bottle of oxygen and shot of tequila! icon_smile.gif But you are correct, ol' slick willie prompted the question for sure!

Thanks everyone for their suggestions.

Guest kymike

Hey Jim, check out the kywalkingstick.com website. They have some nice stick. By the way I just live up the road in Walton and have been meaning to hit your caches but haven't yet.

kymike

Guest Chris Juricich

I agree with the guy who said to use a skipole. I was walking the dog a few days ago and saw some in a garbage pile. Took one and threw it in the back of my van. It's aluminum with red plastic bits and looks gaudy, but it ought to serve for elevated hiking trails.

Guest LoCache

PharoaH, the guy with the baseball bat hiking stick mentioned above, was kind enough to give me a similar piece of wood as well as a nice pine stick. The pine has been sanded down, and drilled for a strap...I just need to coat it and put the strap on it and it will be done. It is very nice looking...though it is a little thin for my wieght. I have also founnd some great beaver sticks....they're practically pre-made by our friends, the beavers!

Making my own has turned in to a new hobby for me. It's rewarding to use your own hand made stick!

Geo

PS - A little sandpaper, and a dremel tool and you are in business! Mouse sander helps!

Although frugal minimalists appear to be in the majority here (and there's nothing wrong with being a frugal minimalist), my son and I each carry one of these:

57962_3800.jpg

They've proven to be both dependable and robust. That their length can be adjusted is more than just frivolous window dressing ...it makes for superior support when climbing very steep inclines (when you want the pole shorter) or for descending (when you want the pole longer). As mentioned in an earlier post, collapsability also makes for easy storage when not in use.

If you don't mind the cost (about $40CAD/$25USea), check'em out...

I've hiked for years with hiking sticks. I prefer a one piece one over ones that collapse. I feel that one piece ones are stronger and last longer. Mine is a cured hickory stick...very, very strong. I don't know exactly where it was bought as it was a gift from my 82-yr old grandfather when he was in Minnesota for a few days.

I have a pair of collapsible hiking poles, but more often than not - I use a cut off hockey stick.

It's sturdy, strong, and free-of-charge (I had a bunch of old sticks in the garage).

Koho walking sticks!

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature.... Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.

Helen Keller (1880 - 1968), The Open Door (1957)

quote:
Originally posted by Pete Holden:

Forget the commercial, adjustable ones for $50-100 unless you just enjoy spending money. Get a pair cheapie aluminum ski poles when they're on sale. Pull off the rubber grip and cut it to length with a hacksaw so that your forearm is horizontal with the ground...

Actually a properly sized ski pole should put your arm in this position, no hacksaw required. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature.... Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.

Helen Keller (1880 - 1968)

Hart's, how dare you steal my old signature quote!

You didn't even ask permission!

"You can only protect your liberties in this world, by protecting the other man's freedom. "You can only be free if I am" -Clarence Darrow

quote:
Hart's, how dare you steal my old signature quote!

You didn't even ask permission!

I didn't steal it. I found it in a cache.

I traded two state quarters for it. icon_razz.gif

Guess we come from similar perspectives?!? (how's that for scarey).

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

[This message was edited by HartClimbs on April 08, 2003 at 10:50 AM.]

I will echo the broomstick recommendation. I got one for $4 at Lowe's. I added a leather shoelace as a strap and a crutch tip on one end. I also carved some decorative grooves in the upper portion which improved the grip.

I really like using it. My knees aren't what they used to be and the stick seems to ease the climbs. It's also great for a steadier footing when negotiating creek beds and the like.

A stick is also really useful for checking hiding spots. You can poke around in the ground cover or into hollow logs without sticking your digits in unknown territory.

It's just me but my walking stick is rapidly becoming essential caching gear.

I did a lot of research on the subject of trek poles. I use a pair rather then just one. it takes the load off my knees (which I need) and keeps me moving long after the normal hiker. But then again, I am a hiker. Not out for a sunday stroll, but out for a good long hike.

komtop.jpg

Here's how to use them

Trekpoles.com has a good overview of things.

-Lets play global Thermonuclear war-