Night time geocaching.

Guest bearboy

Guest bearboy

Lets face it some caches are easier than others to find.Although not on purpose I have been out looking after dark.I was just wondering if anybody looks for caches at night to add to the adventure?I was thinking of doing this on purpose.What do you think?

Guest Pokey

We have found 10 in the dark. They are a blast, you just have to pay a little bit more attention to your surroundings. Drop offs, snakes and bad trails are a few things that come to mind. We have not yet set out to cache in the dark but have not backed downed either. It seems that the oh just one more before we call it a day syndrome or a late start is the most likely cause. A full moon makes for a fun night time caching.

Jeff and Sherrie

Guest Exocet

A friend and I have found two or three caches by flashlight. As someone else mentioned, we suffer from the "just one more..." syndrome. I do not ever relish the idea of searching for a cache at night, simply because it is often already difficult enough to find a cache, much less under the cover of darkness.

Nonetheless, we always pack at least two flashlights and extra batteries. We know ourselves too well to not take precaution against our "just another..." natures. icon_smile.gif

Guest Exocet

A friend and I have found two or three caches by flashlight. As someone else mentioned, we suffer from the "just one more..." syndrome. I do not ever relish the idea of searching for a cache at night, simply because it is often already difficult enough to find a cache, much less under the cover of darkness.

Nonetheless, we always pack at least two flashlights and extra batteries. We know ourselves too well to not take precaution against our "just another..." natures. icon_smile.gif

Below is a copy of our post to a cache site named "Walk Among Us"; a Halloween-themed site placed by a pretty cool Florida High School kid. It's near zipcode 32958. It was very cool to do at night. some of our group were almost literally peeing their pants.

Went at night w/flashlights. 6 people (2 families) in a black Volvo stationwagon that looks kinda like a hearse. A cop pulled up as soon as we parked. I explained what we were doing (kinda) & he was OK with it. Found Robert & cache. Left a BUNCH of plastic snakes, frogs & lizards. Took rubber bat & where's george $2 bill with us back to Miami. This adventure was great. Wives & daughters were scared & wanted to go home, but we stuck it out & got the job done. Thanks Reverend! P. S. Enjoyed what I saw of your sacred papers & agreed wholeheartedly. LOL.

Night caching is very enjoyable. In my caches I always note whether the area is open for night caching. I figure it is a very valuable and enjoyable part of the sport as long as it is done legally.

I had a really good time a while back with Dragonboy24 at a covered bridge cache at night. We got to play "commando" (in the military sense, not the underwear sense). When a car would approach, we got down and turned out our lights, resuming when the car passed. It was great fun.

12 inches of snow at the time too. I enjoy winter caching very much. No problem for me to spend several hours tramping through the snow on a deserted park trail, looking for a tupperware hidden under a log thet itself is hidden under the snow. Got my start in winter. No mosquitoes!

Caching is fun whenever.

"Freedom is a two-way street."

GDAE, Dave

I night cache, but first I put a bell on the end of my antenna, so I know when I have a hit.

That way I can work several GPSrs at time, what's the limit on night caches?

Do you still need your caching license on display?

OOOPS, I thought it was Night catfishing....

geocan.jpg

Trash-out, EVERYtime

~~

Geo-cach-er, n. generally a highy technically competent person with lots of free time. (see also- "Unemployed", Computer administrator, aircraft technician- defense worker- dot-com executive- systems administrator, et.al)

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

Unfortunately night caching isn't an option for me.

Virtually all parks close at sundown locally and it's strictly inforced. I would love to go find some caches late night though.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

So go for some that are not in parks. The urbans are often cool at night.

"Freedom is a two-way street."

GDAE, Dave

Night caching is my favorite part of geocaching. We (Team Vaxcave) seem to suffer from the "Just one more" syndrome, at least on weeknights when we go out after work. We have gone after a few easy 1/1's and 2/1's @ night specifically to increase the difficulty.

As mentioned by others, you need to pay closer attention to your surroundings on the hike in and back, so I would suggest some rather good flashlights (I carry an Inova X1 LED for the hike and we use a 1 million candlepower latern for the actual cache hunt once on location). Also I would suggest that for reasons of safety that you should not cache at night alone. And of course make sure that the cache you are hunting is not somewhere such as a park that closes at dusk.

Anyway give it a try. IMHO caching at night only serves to increase the fun.

We (myself and a couple of other Cache teams) tried our first nught time only black light cache. It was extremely COOL!! It was a 4 part multi and even tho we got skunked trying to find the second set of coord's everyone had a blast. We finally gave up around 11:00pm cause we had an hour drive to get home! Will definitely try it again!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Cache me out dammit, I'm in a hurry!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

-Thomas Jefferson

I love it. It's a great way to naturally increase the challenge of the find. What might be a 1.5-2 for difficulty easily becomes a 3-4.5 difficulty depending on the terrain you are in. A perfect example would be a cache RopingTheWind and I did together last year. What would have been an extremely easy find in daylight turned into a 45+ minute search because of the brush you had to search through. Of course, just about giving up and having a little lightbulb come on in my head, I turned AROUND and it was...right there. I didn't even have to look for it. Gah!

Brian

Team A.I.

quote:
Originally posted by Brian - Team A.I.:

I love it. It's a great way to naturally increase the challenge of the find. What might be a 1.5-2 for difficulty easily becomes a 3-4.5 difficulty depending on the terrain you are in.

On the flip side, yesterday I had a fellow do my new night-cache during the day to increase the challenge! Heh.. (Considering how much trouble I had when returning the next day to re-average/improve the coords, I'm impressed...)

Enjoy,

Randy