Park Sticker removal

I just bought a new Geocache vehicle and am donating the old Taurus to a charity soon. I have a state and Waukesha County sticker on the windshield and for the forty dollars, want to try removing them and putting them on the new car. Yeah, I know, whats $40 versus $20K+ for a new bush banger but I've got two cars and two motorcycles and any one of them could be taken to the park. I have never seen the sense in being forced to have stickers for each! So back to pinching pennies. Has anyone been successful tranfering these stickers? I'm thinking of using a hair drier to soften the adhesive and hoping that enough is left to adhere to the new windshield.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

Steve ... check with a local auto glass repair center ... I had my windshield replaced recently ... they removed the inspection sticker and somehow reapplied it to the windshield again ... it appears that the re-attachment was by a double sided tape ... but I have no idea how they removed it.

348_2702.gif

A hair dryer is an amazing thing. Use the hottest setting. If you are not burning your fingers it's not hot enough. Using a heat gun and a razor blade I was able to take those stickers off of movies that say "Void" when removed. Don't ask why I would be doing this. The only time I've been foiled was the VIN sticker from a 75 GMC Jimmy. In this case it was just too dadgum old to peel correctly.

The key is heat to soften the adhesive just as you are thinking. The razor blade slips in pretty easily. Practice on a sticker you don't need first just to get the hang of it.

Good luck.

I've known people who use a thin layer of vaseline on the sticker before applying it so that they can remove it later and transfer it to one of their other cars. Won't really help much until you actually get the sticker off first, but it may be something to think about later.

My vote goes to heatgun + razor blade. As long as there isnt a "VOID" tamperproof seal you should be fine. (and I cant imagine there will be on something like this) Be careful with the heatgun...if its cold outside you can easily shatter the windshield, do it when its warm out. Also be careful not to burn the sticker...it doesnt take much to light up paper with those things.

Good luck

Why get so complicated, you don't need a heat gun and a razor, it's much more simple than that.

Get a large sledge hammer and smash the windshield. Find the shattered remains that have your sticker placed on them. Take the remains and don't worry about cleaning off the glass. Get a roll of duct tape and tape the chunk of glass with the sticker onto the new windshield.

Hot gun and razor....sheesh!! icon_biggrin.gif

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif

Why get so complicated, you don't need a heat gun and a razor, it's much more simple than that.

Get a large sledge hammer and smash the windshield. Find the shattered remains that have your sticker placed on them. Take the remains and don't worry about cleaning off the glass. Get a roll of duct tape and tape the chunk of glass with the sticker onto the new windshield.

Hot gun and razor....sheesh!! icon_biggrin.gif

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif

It is probably easier than that...just contact the park management and ask them if you can turn in your old sticker for a new one because you got a new vehicle.

Here in Minnesota, the sticker reads:

"To obtain a free replacement permit, remove the entire permit, including the serial number and the month punched. Return it to any park office or mail it to...blah, blah, blah...."

I would think that your State/County would have a provision for this, also.

Another little known fact in MN is that you can get a second sticker by requesting it by mail for the purpose of a second vehicle. They don't tell you this up front, but if you look it up in the lawbooks it is there.

Also, the MN stickers are supposed to be affixed to the windshield. I looked up the MN law and it said nothing about motorcycles, so I emailed them and told them that my motorcycle does not have a windshield and that I did not want to decorate my motorcycle with a sticker...their reply was...

"Visitors who enter the park on motorcycle do not have to post the annual

permit on their vehicle. You may carry the permit with you and display

it when you enter the park. Be aware that if your motorcycle is

unattended in a parking area, you may receive a warning ticket. In

that case, all you need to do is stop in the office and show them your

permit. If you have questions, feel free to contact me at..."

Maybe you should visit the park ranger next time you visit the park(s).

-rocopic

quote:
Originally posted by sbukosky:

...want to try removing them and putting them on the new car....Has anyone been successful tranfering these stickers?

You could leave them on and be sure to mention it to the charity, after they value the car. Then add the appropriate amount to the tax value. You will at least get some of the value back. And, assuming the people who get the car and can't afford park passes, you will be giving an especially nice bonus.

quote:
Originally posted by rocopic:

It is probably easier than that...just contact the park management and ask them if you can turn in your old sticker for a new one because you got a new vehicle.

Here in Texas, it costs $15 for a 2nd vehicle sticker. The dang pass is only $50.

---------------

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!