Map & Compass Skills - NOD

The day may come when your GPS receiver fails and you have to rely on old fashioned navigation techniques. Orienteering is a great way to hone those skills. And you'd be surprised at how many orienteers are also geocachers. I think the two sports really compliment each other.

This Saturday, May 4, is National Orienteering Day. Local orienteering clubs across the US will be holding meets this weekend with the emphasis on attracting first-timers. Instruction and courses for all levels of navigators will be available. Here's the schedule of over 50 events.

I'll agree with that and give it a bump

GC and O can be interchangable. I have turned a O into a GC by finding actual locations of objects that are also on a map to determine their waypoint then triangulate the waypoint of the 'goal'.

Also someone I met while GC'ing uses maps only to find GC - he enters the waypoint and superimposes them on topo maps to find the cache. BaldwinMoose IIRC.

-------> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave to a troll

[This message was edited by k2dave on April 29, 2002 at 05:05 PM.]

I'm attending a National O-Day event in Plano, Texas (north of Dallas) on May 4 with my daughter Miss Pumpkin. There are 4 geocaches in the same park. Several of us will be combining the activities.

There are already plans in the works for a "GPS-Only" orienteering course at one of next year's North Texas Orienteering Association meets.

I "discovered" geocaching while web surfing for orienteering sites.

25021_1200.gif

[This message was edited by Web-ling on May 02, 2002 at 09:19 AM.]

Just remember that using a GPS while orienteering is cheating!!!

I have been orienteering a couple of times. Unfortunately, the Orienteering club does not ask what days would be good for me, so I keep on having scheduling conflicts. icon_frown.gif

Experienced geocachers should probably start off with an Orange course. I bet that they can handle it.

-----

Any similarity between my opinions and reality is entirely coincidental.

--Harrkev

Just remember that using a GPS while orienteering is cheating!!!

I have been orienteering a couple of times. Unfortunately, the Orienteering club does not ask what days would be good for me, so I keep on having scheduling conflicts. icon_frown.gif

Experienced geocachers should probably start off with an Orange course. I bet that they can handle it.

-----

Any similarity between my opinions and reality is entirely coincidental.

--Harrkev

In climbing, 15-20 years ago, you used to gradually work your way up the grades. By the time you were leading moderate routes, say 5.6 - 5.8, you had already built many anchors and placed zillions of pieces. You also had learned down climbing, rope ascending, and basic self resue techniques.

Climbing gyms, sport crags, cross training, and better sports medicine mean that we now have many climbers who climb at, historically, expert levels (say 5.11 and above), who have never placed a single piece of passive protection. In general, I think that this is a good thing. It will be amazing when some of the latest generation of climbers start making their own marks high and wild.

But, the downside is that we have seen an unfortunate increase in certain types of accidents. Wicked strong fingers do not give one the experience to deal with stuck lines, bad weather, or even an unexpected leader fall, 7 pitches up a long traditional route.

To a lesser degree, I've seen the same thing occuring in hiking and backpacking. I'm happy that the activities have seen a surge in participants, but I do think that we will see a few more people seriously hurt when they themselves cold, lost, and hungry - staring at a GPSr loaded with dead batteries, and without the '10 essentials' in their pack...

Map and compass skills, along with basic first aid and CPR, are, I think, essential skills for anyone venturing beyond their neighborhood park.

-jjf

quote:
Originally posted by jfitzpat:

.... I'm happy that the activities have seen a surge in participants, but I do think that we will see a few more people seriously hurt when they themselves cold, lost, and hungry - staring at a GPSr loaded with dead batteries, and without the '10 essentials' in their pack...

Map and compass skills, along with basic first aid and CPR, are, I think, essential skills for anyone venturing beyond their neighborhood park.

-jjf

Excellent observations and important points!

348_2702.gif