Extreme Geo-Caching

max2extreme

Ive been looking for some really hard caches, and I dont see many, if any really. Im gonna start placing some really hard ones in the next month. Perhaps some underwater, definatly some on top of cliffs, and some that take like hours to hike to. Just postin in case there are some people that are interrested in this and live in the dc/baltimore/va area, Thats where I'll be putting them. Happy hunting. icon_smile.gif

-max

quote:

Ive been looking for some really hard caches, and I dont see many, if any really.

I'm working on a cache right now that will be downright impossible to find.

Well, maybe not IMPOSSIBLE, but I'm going to make it one heck of a challenge.

Where are you caching? Oh. Forget it. I should have read more carefully.

Pan

Cachito ergo sum. I Geocache, therefore I am.

Just be prepared for complaints from people who think your cache is 'too difficult', like I did.

Some strange people seem to think that the quality of a cache is directly proportional to the number of finders. Don't let them stop you from placing hard caches though. There are those of us that like, and target, the really, really, really hard caches.

skydiver-sig.gif

---------------------------------------

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

---------------------------------------

Ill enjoy hiding it. icon_smile.gif If anything ill hide it and then give my friends my gps, and ill let them try to find it and ill go along with them again for the hike. no matter. i travel a lot with my job and personal, so im gonna make a multi-cache that is multi-state sometime. I dont know if people post when they place new caches, but I'll make sure I post here that a new one has been put on. But unfortunately like some others, the snow is keeping me from doing it now.

have a good one..

-max

Come down to Australia

Here most of our caches are quite difficult and involve serious adventuring. I have included the links to 3 exmples.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=21457

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=3140

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=6824

Rock/mountain climbing, long secluded hikes in some of the most remote and rugged bushland in the world, abseiling, swimming, 4x4ing etc etc etc. "Down the River" involves slogging it out along the sandy bed of a creek for about 4 hours before climbing a steep cliff to retreive the cache. Did I mention the constant threat of deadly snakes and spiders along the way?. All this often without access to mobile phones or water or nearby help.

To us this is what geocaching is all about.

Hounddog and Snifter (The 2 Dogs)

I just stumbled on this topic and although I am new to geocaching and have yet to log a cache (due to lack of gps)(anyone near Rockford IL want to teach a newbie) I look forward to hiding caches. Some of which I believe will be extremely challenging considering the hardest I have planned yet involves numerous street sign micros giving hints to a code to crack the sign to find the regular size cache at the end in a harder to get to spot. I had asked before if it was ok to hide a cache in some place that is possibly easy to locate but not to reach (meaning open or get at) such as on a cliff or suspended over water. I think the most fun for me will be in hiding difficult caches. Any opinions on these ideas welcomed.

quote:
Originally posted by skydiver:

Just be prepared for complaints from people who think your cache is 'too difficult',

Didn't we spend enough time arguing this on the local geocaching mailing list?

You have certainly expressed unfavorable opinions about some of the geocaches you have found; I simply did the same. It's unfortunate that you are troubled by my feelings, but they are as genuine as yours.

Our past e-mail discussions on other subjects have always been amiable, as far as I can tell, so I don't understand why you have felt it necessary to continue to discuss your unhappiness in public forums, rather than contact me personally from the start.

Ron/yumitori

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

You'd need some really remote backwoods area to hide the cache. Doesn't that pretty much knock out the whole east coast?

Ha! You said it! It'd be hard to even put out one that required a double digit hike to get to it. You have to make muliple staged multi's. You can get out in the boonies, but there seems to be a road near just about everywhere.

Oh, well. We have to make the challenges different than a long hike.

Like one recent cache that said it was a 5 mile hike. We drove to less than 500'. Only thing is the 100' gully between us and it--shear most of the way, muddy, and us with no rope. We ended up going around and it being about a 1 mile round trip, if that.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

You'd need some really remote backwoods area to hide the cache. Doesn't that pretty much knock out the whole east coast?

Ha! You said it! It'd be hard to even put out one that _required_ a double digit hike to get to it. You have to make muliple staged multi's. You can get out in the boonies, but there seems to be a road near just about everywhere.

Oh, well. We have to make the challenges different than a long hike.

Like one recent cache that said it was a 5 mile hike. We _drove_ to less than 500'. Only thing is the 100' gully between us and it--shear most of the way, muddy, and us with no rope. We ended up going around and it being about a 1 mile round trip, if that.

CR

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/72057_2000.gif

The whole East Coast? Gimme a break!

You want a double diget hike? I'll guide you on at least 20 in Central PA alone. Several already have caches along the route. My guide services are, however, not cheap icon_wink.gif

Salvelinus

goldfish.gif

"The trail will be long and full of frustrations. Life is a whole and good and evil must be accepted together"

Ralph Abele

quote:

You'd need some really remote backwoods area to hide the cache. Doesn't that pretty much knock out the whole east coast? icon_biggrin.gif

Well, I disagree that a really hard cache has to have a remote backwoods hike. I'm setting up a multi-cache that is going to be close to a 5/5, but all the legs will be within walking distance. I'll post it here when I'm done.

Pan

Cachito ergo sum. I Geocache, therefore I am.

Check this one out...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=3238

Getting to this cache involves an abseil down a 90 metre air shaft into an abandoned railway tunnel. There is an easier option but this involves a 2 km walk along the dark and cold tunnel. By the time you get the the cache area the light at the end of the tunnel is but a speck. The tunnel floor is badly rutted and washed out so it's a real challenge to keep upright. On the day I did the cache, the outside temperature was around 100 degrees but the temp inside the tunnel stays a constant 45. A great adventure to do.

Hounddog

quote:
Originally posted by Salvelinus:

You want a double diget hike? I'll guide you on at least 20 in Central PA alone. Several already have caches along the route. My guide services are, however, not cheap icon_wink.gif

Salvelinus

20 miles? Walking along a dirt road doesn't count.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

...I don't believe the phrase. Some you can't get. Too bad. We tried getting George's (georgeandmary) Fear Factor, and didn't find it (although F. went within a few inches of the cache, but just missed it), but that's our fault - we don't bellyache to George about it.

Geez... that log on the one cache in Montana kind of bugged me (pun intended)... haven't people heard that conditions on tops of large hills/mountains differ from that in valleys - sometimes by significant amounts? I know that, and I've *never* climbed a mountain...

Good golly

-J

quote:
Originally posted by TeamJiffy:

Geez... that log on the one cache in Montana kind of bugged me (pun intended)... haven't people heard that conditions on tops of large hills/mountains differ from that in valleys - sometimes by significant amounts? I know that, and I've *never* climbed a mountain...

Good golly

-J

AS the one who did climb the mountain, not to mention many others, the weather on top was fine (I climbed up and over). The weather on other faces was fine. It wasn't until I dropped down into the 'pocket' near the cache did conditions change, and became dangerous. The problem was quite localized, and invisible from outside the area.

I'd be happy to discuss this further off the forum, since the cache owner is quite vehement concerning how he feels this cache should (or should not) be discussed.

Ron/yumitori

I love the idea of more extreme caches. I looked around my area but only found a couple in the immediate are that are over a star and a half.

Though I have to say, looking for something that's just well hidden isn't quite as much fun as getting something that's just hard to get to icon_biggrin.gif

i love the idea of collecting fake money and redeaming it for a prize of some small amount (like the patch)! gives people a reason to be "the first" besides just the bragging rights. unfortunatlty, my extreme caches may be delayed a bit since i broke my wrist yesterday snowboarding. icon_frown.gif insane jump though and i got pics! :) have a good one.

max