Pictures

Upham

...though not our first hide, it was the first roll to need developing after the winder jammed. I was able to salvage most and linked to them from here.

One challenge was properly identifying the pictures. Some folks take more than one, others don't take one at all. Then there was a cacher who was 5 months behind in his logs (they're worth the wait though as he writes great detailed logs) who threw me off too.

George

Of all the cache cameras I've come across, I've only seen two folks post the pictures.

Fort Jackson (the link to the posted pics can be found in the August 5 log)

Legion of Caches (links to pics are in cache description)

I'd like to see more pics posted... but it seems most cache owners either completely forget about the camera, or if they do get the pics devoloped, they don't put them online... but I'd encourage you to post 'em!

Jamie

Just a bit time-consuming.

quote:
Is there somthing difficult about getting them posted?

You have to scan them or do photos-on-disk at your favorite discounter or food retailer. Then you need to up-load them some where. I have seen folks who upload them to their cache page. I choose to put them on the server that host my web site because it was easier for me. Another option is on-line photo finishing where they let you archive the photos.

George

We’ve posted the pictures from all four cache camera’s we’ve used. Here’s how we did it. We created web pages using space provided by our ISP with the pictures. We kept it simple since our html skills are simple. I numbered each picture then used geocaching.com to email the link to everyone who logged the cache during the period that the camera was in cache. I let them know the pictures were online and that if they would like to have theirs labeled then to email me the picture number with their title. I also put links to the web pages on the cache page and posted a note to the cache to notify any watchers.

It takes a little bit of work, but it was worth the effort. I would recommend spending the extra dollar or so to get the developer to put the pictures on a disk or online. The first two cameras I just scanned the pictures myself. That was a pain.

Here’s how it turned out:

Beachcombing At Joe's

Goose Rock

http://home.earthlink.net/~whidbeywalk/

I put cameras in all of my caches (except one, when I forgot to get the blasted thing out of the car before I headed across the lake to hide it, then was too tired and lazy to correct my oversight). None of them are full, yet. If that's any indication, then it's possible that most are still sitting in the caches with a few pictures left.

Another possible explanation is that nobody has thought to inform the cache owner that the camera is full, so they don't know to go get it.

Which reminds me...I'm a surrogate parent for a cache placed near here by a friend of mine who's moved out of state. The camera in that cache has GOT to be nearly full. I'll have to go check.

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

I have posted photos I've taken while geocaching.

I have taken pictures with cameras left in geocaches.

I have seen pics posted from other caches.

And finally I have a camera in a cache that someone said was full after only 5 or 6 visitors so I'll have to retreive it and replace it.

The problem I see is the ability to scan developed photos, not everyone has a scanner. The best way, if you don't have a scanner, is to have the photo shop put it on a disc for you.

I've just never seen any of the pictures I've taken on any of the cache sites I've been too. Boo Hoo. I snapped a pic of my Mom on top of a mountain in Maine I'd like to see.

(which PS to all you who ask is yet another reason why people watch a cache)

Cache you later,

Planet

"To err is human, to forgive....$5.00"

I have always wondered how people stoll into

walmart with film to be developed,and do not

know if someone stumbled unto the cache or

found it and did not log it.I would be afraid

that when I went to pickup the photos there

would be a manager and badge waiting on me because

some played a joke with the camera. icon_eek.gif

Seatrout

quote:
Originally posted by SeaTrout:

I have always wondered how people stoll into

walmart with film to be developed,and do not

know if someone stumbled unto the cache or

found it and did not log it.I would be afraid

that when I went to pickup the photos there

would be a manager and badge waiting on me because

some played a joke with the camera. icon_eek.gif

Seatrout

This has come up before, but here are my thoughts. First I have faith that the vast majority of the other people who share this world with me are decent people like myself. Secondly, the likelihood that one of the very few who are not decent would find my cache and then decide to document some illegal activity with the cache camera is extremely remote. Lastly, the worst “joke” photos I could imagine being taken (which may be humorous, nasty or intriguing depending on the eye of the beholdericon_wink.gif ) would not be illegal. The worst that would result from such photos would be the developer refusing to print the photos. Or perhaps the worst would be that they would print them. Again the eye of the beholder. icon_wink.gif

http://home.earthlink.net/~whidbeywalk/

quote:
Originally posted by Dad and the Dynamic Duo:

...though not our first hide, it was the first roll to need developing after the winder jammed. I was able to salvage most and linked to them from http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=23054.

One challenge was properly identifying the pictures. Some folks take more than one, others don't take one at all. Then there was a cacher who was 5 months behind in his logs (they're worth the wait though as he writes great detailed logs) who threw me off too.

George

Yes. This is why we try to be descriptive, like "It's the picture with the red-haired kid in the blue shirt". Otherwise, it's really tough to tell who is who.

Shannah

quote:
Originally posted by SeaTrout:

I have always wondered how people stoll into walmart with film to be developed... I would be afraid that when I went to pickup the photos there

would be a manager and badge waiting on me because some played a joke with the camera.

If you want to avoid this, don't go to Walmart. Walmart has policies about printing photographs that they feel are inappropriate, but are otherwise completely legal. If you take your photos to a pro photo finishing shop, they will print virtually anything you give them without question. It's none of their business, and they know it. For some reason, Walmart wants to push its ideals on its customers.

Heck, pretty much any plact except Walmart will print any photos you bring them. I've inquired at local Walgreens and Target and managers at both places told me that they'll print whatever I bring them, excluding clearly illegal material.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

what kind of pictures were you trying to have developed...?

Stuff from Mardi Gras a couple years ago.

When I went to pick 'em up, a couple of the envelopes obviously didn't have enough photos in them. I skimmed through the three or four prints in each of them, and still not realizing what was going on, I asked the clerk about why I seemed to be missing some prints.

This girl... she was somewhere around 16 or 17, nervously glanced around. She was obviously a little embarassed. Anyway, I was still in the dark, I hadn't put two and two together. She mumbles, "Um... we can't print pictures like that."

It dawned on me then what she was referring to, since I noticed none of the pictures I had in my hand contained the nudity I remembered shooting in New Orleans.

I was on the edge of being both really irritated and finding much amusement in this situation. I tried to keep calm. I asked the girl why they can't print pictures "like that."

She wouldn't look at me, it was weird. And she spent about 30 seconds trying to avoid using words like breast, nipple, or boob. Finally, I asked to see someone else. The girl explained to me that it wouldn't do any good, since it was the manager who made the decision in the first place.

She didn't grasp that that's exactly why I wanted to talk to the manager.

The girl promised me that I wouldn't have to pay for the the non-existing prints, I tried to tell her that I didn't care about paying for them... the point was that I still wanted the prints.

The girl was very confused and embarassed, and after I riffled through the negatives and saw that they were all there, including the nudity shots, I decided to leave. Clearly I wasn't getting anywhere trying to talk to this girl.

I went across the street to Walgreens and explained what was on the photos. They had no problem with it. The photo person there even explained to me how they have a policy that they must print each print.

At Target later, I asked about the policy, and the folks at Target described a policy much like Walgreens--specifically that it was against their policy to exclude certain prints based only on content.

After I got home, I found a small slip of paper in each of my photo envelopes that said something to the effect of Walmart's policy of not printing objectionable material. I kept the slip of paper, although it's not here. When I get it, I'll scan it and post it.

Anyway, that day I realized how big an influence Walmart has on the world (you know.. with the special Walmart versions of films and CDs) and decided I would no longer shop there. I don't like people, especially people I give money to do work for me, telling me what I can or can't do.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by rut:

I just had my last picture taken in my cache. I know that we are supposed to develope them and post them on the website but, I've never seen anyone else post them. Am I missing something?

Pictures and logs. These caches are now archived:

Red Beans and Rice

Rollin On The River

BTW - Jamie - I recently visited POW Camp in Mississippi and saw your photo. From the logs, it looks like someone took the camera to get developed then placed all of the prints in the cache.

quote:
Originally posted by rpecot:

I recently visited POW Camp in Mississippi and saw your photo. From the logs, it looks like someone took the camera to get developed then placed all of the prints in the cache.

I dunno if that's good or bad. I'm glad they were developed, but I'm sure the people in the pics would sure like to see 'em.

Jamie