Vaction...Cache support group

GeoVamp

It has been awhile since I read the cache placement rules but a was thinking about placing a virtual cache for something I found on a trip from Odessa. After reading the rules of placing a cache I realize I can't place it but I can't go back and place a mico or mini pod there either~because I wouldn't be able to take care of it.

Placing Caches on Vacation

Placing caches on vacation is unacceptable and these caches will not be approved on the web site. As the cache owner you are obligated to be in a position to manage your caches, and caches placed on vacation require someone else to maintain them for you. Please be responsible.

All that's said and I don't what you guys to think I'm complainting because I'm not.

Here is my Idea:

What if we start a page with lists of cachers who would agree to maintain caches for vactioning cacher. Like say I wanted to place a cache in Austin, well I go to the list find a cacher for that city and ask them to maintain my cache before I place it.If said cacher agrees when the cache need a log book or trinkets etc. then I send them the needed items. We could make a list by city and state and country.I would be willing to donate a page on my website and add the names and up keep it.

"Fun is Fun, Done is Done"-Stephen King

www.GeoVamp.com

That would be great. I don't think anybody has a problem with vacation caches, as long as there is someone to maintain them.

One question to vacation cache placers. If someone is going maintain your cache, why don't you just have them adopt it? Why should the person who did nothing more than drop off a container get credit for the cache, instead of the person who does all the work?

"You can only protect your liberties in this world, by protecting the other man's freedom. "You can only be free if I am" -Clarence Darrow

I placed a tourist cache on Maui before those ever increasing rules took effect. But the funny thing is that I check on my cache there more than I check on some of my local ones.

Brian as far as having someone local adopt that particular cache a friend of mine on Maui is not a cacher but he went with me to hide it. He'd never want to adopt it. But when I get a frowny face on it I give him a ring and he heads out to check on it.

I plan to place two more when I make my next trip over next month. Hopefully with the help I have there it won't be a problem getting them approved.

But I do know that tourist caches are being placed as one was approved recently by some out of country tourists. We enjoy them and what happens here in southern oregon is a few of us locals keep an eye on them and fixem up when needed.

quote:
placed a tourist cache on Maui before those ever increasing rules took effect. But the funny thing is that I check on my cache there more than I check on some of my local ones.

It's not really an issue of tourist caches, but of placing caches that you have no intention of maintaining, or ever visiting again. The majority of tourist caches fall into this catetgory. If you check on the cache frequently, then it really isn't a tourist cache. I just placed a cache in Vermont. It's a 4 hour drive from my home, but I go there at least once a month, and more frequently in the winter.

"You can only protect your liberties in this world, by protecting the other man's freedom. "You can only be free if I am" -Clarence Darrow

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

So even if I visit my Mom in California twice a year, I shouldn't place a cache there? My last trip, I took her Geocaching and she found the cache! She doesn't want to buy a GPS, but would be able to maintain a cache if I showed her where it was.

Should be fine. In another thread Jeremy tossed off once a year as the minimum number of maintenance visits that is acceptable. I imagine he meant it as a rough guide, but if you are in the area a couple of times a year, and even have a local who can check on the cache between your visits, the hide doesn't qualify as a vacation cache.

IMHO, YMMV, ETC...

Ron/yumitori

I still don't understand why people on vacation see the need to place caches. Unless there isn't anyone else around to do it. If there was some one willing to maintain it they should have placed it there themselves. If I find a vacation cache that's not maintained well I'll just remove it.

I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.