Ron Streeter 106

TracyMc 105

byonke 104

EraSeek 103

threelanes 101

AndiM 100

[This message has been edited by regoarrarr (edited 04 December 2001).]

Guest regoarrarr

I was wondering about this, so I did some research. I went and viewed the logs for a few of the oldest, easier caches in each state, and tried to write down everyone who had found at least 100 caches.

I'm sure I missed some, so if I missed you or anyone you know of, just post here, and I will try and update this list by editing the above post.

Again, as has been said in previous posts on this topic, this is not a thread to debate as to the validity of certain caches or whatever - if you're interested in that debate, please start another thread. Also, not a place to gloat about "I'm 'better' than you". I did this just as an informational thing.

So if I missed anyone, or as the time goes by and people find more caches, post in this thread, and I will endeavor to maintain this list.

dan. ("only" 21 found :-))

Guest ClayJar

Hmm... this made me think of something that might be neat... Anyone want to try their hand at finding the top finders in each state/province/country? I think that would be interesting information (for example, with 60 finds, I'm probably at or near the top of Louisiana native cachers, but I'm WAAAY below California cachers). Anyway, since it would probably require database access, I doubt it'll be done, but it would be neat. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest ClayJar

Hmm... this made me think of something that might be neat... Anyone want to try their hand at finding the top finders in each state/province/country? I think that would be interesting information (for example, with 60 finds, I'm probably at or near the top of Louisiana native cachers, but I'm WAAAY below California cachers). Anyway, since it would probably require database access, I doubt it'll be done, but it would be neat. icon_biggrin.gif

alize that most cachers do not want to have our sport turned into a competition and I agree with that 100%, however to me it would serve as an inspiration and encourage me to get out there and place/hunt more vigorously. Food for thought.

Cheers, Olar

Guest regoarrarr

Yeah, one of the things that I thought about when compiling that list was a list of leaders per state. Also, wondering how many people had done all of the ~30 caches here in Cincinnati.

One thought I had to make this more easily maintainable was to use the recent logs page

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/recent_logs.asp

If you could get a current snapshot, you could then write a script that would query that page every 15 minutes or so, that would allow you to update rankings. Not too hard, and not too bandwidth-intensive on the site. Of course, the optimal solution would be for Jeremy to create something using his database, but that takes time that he probably doesn't have a lot of.

Guest tecmage

Hey all,

I was looking through the list and noticed that there are several Kansas, Missouri, and Illinois(?)-based Geocachers at the top of the list. I thought several folks had heavy-duty totals, but wasn't sure where they ranked.

Richard

quote:
So how do you compile the stats for that page? By hand?

Nope. I have a CGI-program that does the job. It actually generates the statistics page too. And it can do the same for any state or country in the world icon_smile.gif

quote:
So how do you compile the stats for that page? By hand?

Nope. I have a CGI-program that does the job. It actually generates the statistics page too. And it can do the same for any state or country in the world icon_smile.gif

quote:
Would you be willing to email me those CGI scripts?

I still have some bugs to fix, but maybe when I'm finished.

However, I would like to have Jeremys opinion on this before I give out any script. I really think this is the wrong way of doing this. If we want stats and scores, Jeremy should do it, or give someone else access to the database. My script (I call it the GeoRipper) hits the Geocaching.com site a few hundred times every time it runs. If I run it one or two times every month, that would be no problem, but what if everyone starts using this script?

Guest regoarrarr

I agree that having this officially up there is the best way, but that's not happening. If Jeremy says that this is in the works, then I wouldn't even bother wasting my time. But it seems there are no plans in the pipeline. And I don't say this to disparage Jeremy - heavens know that he's got a ton on his plate.

I also agree that I don't want to put a load of strain on the geocaching.com servers. My thoughts were to get the data off the recent logs page. If a script was run that loads that page once or twice a day, the strain I think would be minimal.

Guest bunkerdave

I am just as curious as anyone about the rankings, although I am way past chasing numbers. Mostly, I just like to see how active the other cachers in my area have been in hunting. Way back in June when I broke the top 10, I was compiling my own list weekly to see where I ranked, and I was steadily climbing, since I would bag as many as 20 caches per week.

That said, I have other ideas about why this is not being done "officially." Jon (Moun10 Bike) was doing a weekly post with the top 25 finders (also on his website) and I guess he actually received e-mails on occasion to the effect of "ha ha I passed you" and the like. Clearly this is completely opposite of the spirit Jeremy and others, including me, would like to see for the game.

Friendly competition never hurt, in fact, myself and another cache in Utah actually met at the trailhead to hike to #200 for both of us, and another in our group got #100 at that same cache. We had a great time, and it was truly something special for us all. We really enjoyed sharing and reliving experiences from our 100+ cache hunts, but it really never was about competition.

I realize that most (nearly all) cachers are in it for the fun and the outdoors experience and all the right stuff. That being the case, I doubt there will ever be an "official" ranking on the website or cache finders or hiders, and in my opinion, that is as it should be.

I have now made a world ranking, with all the Geocachers who have found 100+ caches. Now that I have a script, it is easy to update it, but I will remove it if a lot of you don't like it.

Or should I remove the number of founds, and just print the names alphabetical?

Here it is: http://www.geocaching.info.se

Guest Ron Streeter

While you two are at it, how about the "placements" statistics as well?

The last time I saw Mount10Bike's list I was in the top 5 for placing caches.

I wouldn't rush right out to place more or find more in order to move up the list, but it IS kind of fun to see where I fall in both categories.

Ron (41 hidden/109 found) as of 12/4/01

eurekaredcanvas.bmp

------------------

Remember, no matter where you go, there you are!

[This message has been edited by Ron Streeter (edited 05 December 2001).]

quote:
While you two are at it, how about the "placements" statistics as well?

Sorry, but I can't help you with that.

My "world ranking" script extracts data from about 1000 caches pages. Everyone who has logged at least one of those pages will be detected. To make accurate statistics for placements, the script would have to search all cache pages. That would take about two hours (and even longer as more caches are added) and the Geocaching.com servers would have a hard time.

Guest bunkerdave

That is a nice list, and if you don't mind whatever work it takes to update it, should be fun.

Does this update automatically, daily, or what? How frequently do you run the totals?

I didn't mean to imply that I disapprove of these rankings lists - I just meant that there are reasons why there aren't any on the Geocaching website, and I can see that point. As one of the high finders, I always like to see what others are doing, as well. I notice Utah has 15 over 100, which is cool. I also notice a few are closing in on 300. Wow.

Nice site, BTW.

[This message has been edited by bunkerdave (edited 06 December 2001).]

Guest regoarrarr

Yeah I saw that. I'm working on a system that will allow for updating of this list, along with the list for determing the top hiders per state / city. Should be cool, and shouldn't be a drain on geocaching.com resources either.

quote:
Does this update automatically, daily, or what? How frequently do you run the totals?

Since nobody yet has complained, I will make the list permanent. It will be updated about every two weeks.

A few more features will be added soon.

Guest Ron Streeter

Rego.....

I don't know if you ever saw Mount10Bike's list but it was pretty nice.

The "top finders" columns looked like this:

Found Hidden

Joe Smith 143 22

Hazel Jones 135 37

So you could see finds and hides at a glance. Then the "top placers" columns looked like this:

Hidden Found

Bill Jones 35 87

Suzy Que 28 45

I think having both sets of these in this manner allows for some easy "at a glance" opportunities to see how people balance their finding and placing.

Anxious to see both your and Gustaf's continued efforts.

Ron (41 hidden/109 found)

------------------

Remember, no matter where you go, there you are!

quote:
Originally posted by GoldKey:

There is already a site that provides all of the statistics you are asking for. I hope it is OK to post the link here.

Actually, this is a really old thread, and the person who started it (regoarrarr) is the person who created and runs the Leaderboard site you left the link for. Thanks for being determined Dan, you know I think highly of your site.

In the meantime, Gustaf's site seems to have gone way downhill ... he seems to be updating the worldwide stats only every other month.