Uploading Photos

cache magnet

I use JASC paint Shop Pro 7.04 for the ones I post to my web site. (just a quick site to test my CSS skills).

If you have this program:

Open the photo you want to optimize,

Click on "File > Save as",

CHANGE THE NAME in the dialog box (unless you don't mind losing the original),

Down in the lower right corner, click on "Options",

Another box opens and will have an "Optimize" button. Click it.

In the new window that pops up will be two thumbnail portions of your photo. The one on the left is un-optimized, on the right the optimized. In the middle of the box will be a small sliding scale and a small dropdown with numbers in it. Use this to determine the amount of optimization.

Also, under the two thumbnails will be their respective sizes in bytes, allow the right one to change as you change the slider.

Pick your best optimization and click OK and then save.

Voila!

I used this to lower the amount of space I was using (12MB) to less than 6MB. I am only allowed 10MB from ATTBI. You can see my test page at http://home.attbi.com/~cdirto . Some of the pictures started out at 2.5MB and all are now less than 256Kb.

If you don't have this program, you can go online to http://www.jpegwizard.com/ and do it all online for free.

I can go anywhere!! ... (if my wife lets me)

[This message was edited by CdirtO on February 13, 2003 at 09:28 AM.]

In the Read First! Geocaching Frequently Asked Questions, Dru Morgan posts a link to how to reduce picture sizes to <100K.

Me personally, I open the JPG in the paint program that came with windows (Start, Programs, Accessories, Paint - make sure you open file type JPG) - then I choose Image, Stretch and Skew and reduce the percentage the same for vertical and horizontal. Bonus - reducing the image size to 75% may reduce the KB to 1/3 or 1/4 of the original size.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

and the best image freeware image manipulator I have ever found is at www.irfanview.com. It can even batch process whole bunches of images at one time, useful if you want to, say, take a bunch of full sized images from your digital camera, reduce the color depth to 8 bits, reduce the dpi to 50, and shrink the size by x% or to a specific pixel dimension. It can even rename them all too. And handles virtually any file type both read and write. Easy to use too.