Has Anyone Noticed?

Buck8Point

That the New Caches Queue seems to not be moving?

Ive never had a new cache take more than 10-12 hours to be approved, and I have 4 new caches that the First I posted on Friday 09/06/2002 with the Cache Report Received at Friday at 3:49PM and Its been like 33+ hours and still NOTHING yet.

Seems like the Newest 15 caches posted has been the exact same all day today..

Anyone else notice this?

Buck8Point

-------------------------

If I can't Fix it, It's Definately Broke.

You'll notice the 'hide a cache' page says...

'Since each cache is approved by volunteers, expect to see your cache approved within 24-48 hours.'

Amazingly enough, the generous people who take the time to review/approve/deny the posted caches have lives too. So, just because they often manage to get things approved faster, that doesn't mean they can't take a break now and then.

---------------------------------------

Friends don't let friends NOT geocache.

---------------------------------------

I am very familiar with how long is usually takes to get a cache approved, and Im sure there is a huge backlog that gets bigger every day due simply to the exponential growth in popularity of geocaching. I still say It is somewhat strange for new caches to take that long to be approved.

Buck8Point

quote:
Originally posted by Buck8Point:

That the New Caches Queue seems to not be moving?

Ive never had a new cache take more than 10-12 hours to be approved, and I have 4 new caches that the First I posted on Friday 09/06/2002 with the Cache Report Received at Friday at 3:49PM and Its been like 33+ hours and still NOTHING yet.

First of all, i'm surprised that anyone can hide four caches in 33 hours. it usually takes me 33 days or more just to place ONE.

And yeah, they have lives, too--i've seen them in action.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

I agree with BassoonPilot and the others who've commented above.

I'm one of the volunteers, and I spent all day yesterday doing trail maintenance. Another is off camping with her Girl Scout troop. A third is also camping. There are several more who also have lives icon_wink.gif

This morning there are close to 200 caches in the approval queu, and I'm reviewing/approving/and posting them as efficiently as possible.

The weekend volume is high though, so please don't post one right after hiding it on a Saturday expecting people to be able to hunt it Sunday morning. If you can defer the posting 'till during the week to even out the work flow it would be helpful.

Another thing that really bogs down the works are questionable cache submissions. Having to e-mail owners for clarification, having to debate whether they're appropriate, having to archive them.... all that takes much more work than the routine approvals.

Please submit your questionable caches on slow days. September 31st looks like it's be a good one for those.

Cheers,

erik - geocaching.com adminion

I agree with BassoonPilot and the others who've commented above.

I'm one of the volunteers, and I spent all day yesterday doing trail maintenance. Another is off camping with her Girl Scout troop. A third is also camping. There are several more who also have lives icon_wink.gif

This morning there are close to 200 caches in the approval queu, and I'm reviewing/approving/and posting them as efficiently as possible.

The weekend volume is high though, so please don't post one right after hiding it on a Saturday expecting people to be able to hunt it Sunday morning. If you can defer the posting 'till during the week to even out the work flow it would be helpful.

Another thing that really bogs down the works are questionable cache submissions. Having to e-mail owners for clarification, having to debate whether they're appropriate, having to archive them.... all that takes much more work than the routine approvals.

Please submit your questionable caches on slow days. September 31st looks like it's be a good one for those.

Cheers,

erik - geocaching.com adminion

All I was attempting to convey in this thread was that I had noticed a seeming increase in the usual response time of new caches being approved latley. I made no assumptions as to workload, volunteers, on what day of the week an actual cache was posted for approval, or the fact that the appointed admins in charge of approving and clearing the new cache queue might actually have a life other than Geocaching, as we all do. I fully realize and understand that new cache growth has got to be increasing exponentially as a direct result of the growing popularity of the sport. I was simply stating an observation, and was basically asking if anyone else had noticed the same thing.

After reading some of the responses, if the volume of new caches being submitted for the approval proccess in the queue is so high at certain times that it is now taking longer to get caches approved in a timely manner, then maybe we need more volunteer admins to help spread out the workload...

Buck8Point

I'm pretty sure that it says on the 'post a cache' page that approval can take 24-48 hours. Unless a geocache raises a question, I'm pretty sure that geocaches are getting approved within that time frame.

It would really help if there weren't so many poorly thought out geocaches getting posted. The ones that are straightforward can be approved in just a few minutes. What causes a slow-down is some lame locationless for fireplugs or whatever.

As for the number of admins, if we had many more we would probably be tripping over one another. It's really going pretty smoothly, folks. Just plan your proposals carefully and then be patient.

(Oh, it should also be pointed out the the 4 caches that Buck8Point mentions in the original post fell into that category of 'we had major questions about these' which is why they STILL have not been approved.)