Why 'watch' a cache?

Guest cjdoyle

Guest cjdoyle

I have four current caches in the field. Only one was visited one time, but four to seven people are 'watching' them. Why watch a cache's page? Why not just go find them?

Guest Quinnow

be nice if a person wanted to wait and see what others had to say about the hunt, or maybe to see if it was a nice cache. But also to show which ones they have plans to go for.

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest jeremy

Some folks like to watch caches they already found, to read other folk's experiences when they found a particular cache.

It's also a good idea to watch a cache before you go out and find it. That way if something happens to a cache or the cache owner wants to let people know something about the cache, you'll be notified.

Jeremy

Guest cjdoyle

Those are very valid points, except in this case they make no sense. I have the only caches in the area (NE Florida/SE Georgia), so if they want to visit a cahce (any cahce) I put it there. The one cache that has four people watching was visited only once.

It would seem to me if you're going on a trip and plan to hit some caches (like I plan to do in May) you would check to see where they were to get a ball park idea of your route then check again immediately before you left. Why watch for more than a month if you've not visited the cache and you're not planning on visiting it for more than a month?

[This message has been edited by cjdoyle (edited 03-27-2001).]

Guest Glenoled

what's the weather like, down there?

perhaps they're waiting for the weather to get nicer, but your cache is the one they're planning on searching...

or maybe they're waiting for when they get a GPS... I know i'm interested in chacheing, but don't have a GPS yet, but I'll still keep logging on to see the progress on local caches... (unfortunately, there are none that are local to me, yet)

Guest cjdoyle

The weather is beautiful this time of year. It only gets hotter, more humid and the bugs come out with a vengeance.

It is just a little frustrating. I go through the effort of putting out 5 caches and no one wants to play.

Guest Seamus

I currently have 10 caches in my "watch list". Two of them are caches we tried to find but couldn't -- I want to see if anyone else has any luck with them. The other eight are caches we've found, and are curious to see what others had to say about them.

My primary reason for watching caches we've found is for 'note taking'. I've been there, so I know what I liked or didn't like about the hunt in question. What I'm interested to know, though, is what other people thought about it. Was it too easy to find? Maybe it was in a bad location. Has someone made off with all the pencils? I figure I can use these observations from other peoples' log entries to improve the quality of any caches I place.

...and if anyone takes all the pencils out of a nearby cache, I've got a few lying around the apartment. :^)

-- Seamus

KC5UGQ

Frederick, MD

Guest jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by bob_renner:

Is there any way for the owner of a cache to tell who is watching his cache?

No. It's anonymous.

Jeremy

Guest jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by cjdoyle:

Those are very valid points, except in this case they make no sense. I have the only caches in the area (NE Florida/SE Georgia), so if they want to visit a cahce (any cahce) I put it there.

Some folks watch caches they may never visit but find interesting. This may be the case here. Also, sometimes a cache is logged once but 4 people could have been part of a family that visited it.

Guest leaper64

cjdoyle,

i'm watching one of yours now. i may never be able to make the long trip to visit it, but am very interested in the feedback that others may give. it sounds like a good idea for some areas, and i may want to try it locally (virtual stash).

p.s. i guess i'm not an anonymous watcher now!

Guest Anton

Greetings,

Why don't you put webcams on your caches. Then you can "watch" them too. ;-)

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

Guest Seamus

we can go hunting. I usually just punch in their ZIP code every so often to check up on the cache-count in the Tallahassee area, but if I find one that really strikes my interest, and I want to keep a closer eye on it, I could always add it to my list. Then, I'd get mail notifications whenever anyone logged a hit.

I seem to remember something about a limit to the number of caches you can have on your watch list... Is there one, and if so, how many?

-- Seamus

KC5UGQ

Frederick, MD

Guest RyckZ

We only a few caches within 50 miles, so I watch them all to get an idea of how many people are particapting, and where they are from. What do I do with this info? Nothing yet, but it may help me deceide how many more caches I create and where I put them.

A few people have mentioned the "WebCam Cache" idea. Just waiting for someone to come with one.

Guest Quinnow

quote:
Originally posted by cjdoyle:

The weather is beautiful this time of year. It only gets hotter, more humid and the bugs come out with a vengeance.

It is just a little frustrating. I go through the effort of putting out 5 caches and no one wants to play.

Man I wish you lived in my area, I have been waiting for others to start placing caches so I can do some hunting. But to get to a point, some people that are "watching" your caches might not even own a GPS and are waiting for it to either be delivered or have yet to go and buy one. I have a gentleman in my area that e-mailed me and told me that he is "watching" one of my caches and that he found out about Geocaching from the newspaper here, thus he said he just ordered a GPS and is waiting for it to come so he can go and find it.

Believe me, you will start seeing logs for your caches soon, and I for one Thankyou for placing them. We need people like you that enjoy hiding as much as finding.

Good luck with your caches and keep us informed!

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest garyc

I currently watch the cashe's in NE Fla. I try to get to them first, but this way if I dont get a chance to. I will know dho did, how easy it was and if they have any helpful tips.

The reasons I might watch a cache is to read the logs if there was something interesting about the cache. If i have not visited the cache yet i use it just to remember that i want to go look for it someday but dont want to print out the cache page in case it is'nt there by the time i get around to doing it. And maybe just maybe someone might put a mc'toy in there that i dont have. :D

There are many reasons to watch a cache. I have several on my watch list.

I have 2 TB Hotels, pretty obvious why I'm watching them.

I've got 1 that was placed in July and nobody has even attempted it, I want to see if anyone ever does.

I have 2 that are pretty difficult and there's a group organizing to go after these this weekend, I want to see if they succeed.

The last one is a fairly new multi that I started watching when it first was posted to see if anyone found it, it's also one that several pretty experienced people have looked for and got confused on it, just want to see what people have to say about it.

I've also watched caches that I've found particularly interesting or difficult.

So there's 5 different reasons for me to watch some caches. As far as I know there's no way to tell who is watching them. You could try posting a note to the cache page asking them to contact you. Then just ask why they are watching it.

F_M

Got half way down the thread without even reading the date. Guess I'll have to make a point of reading them, huh?

Edited by Fritz_Monroe

I keep all the caches that I have looked for on my watch list, found or unfound. It's interesting to me to watch what happens with them, and I often get clues that help me to find caches that I didn't find before. Either that, or I find out that an unfound cache has come up missing so that I know to pass it by.

I also keep all the Travel Bugs that I found on my watch list. I wanna know where they go. :D