Nuts, Tokens & Stamps

Razzoo

I am new to the sport and I keep reading that trackers find what they call Nut# __ or geo token # or a stamp. What are these items and what do you do with them. I am just about ready to hide my own cache but I want to have all my ducks in a row before I do. Thanks - Razzoo

You've really got three questions here, but I'll take a stab at all of them. Some kind soul will surely expand on my thoughts (and correct my difficiencies).

I believe that the nuts to which you refer are part of a sub-game played by cachers in one of the southwestern states (New Mexico, Arizona, they're all the same to me icon_smile.gif).

'Tokens' are are coins that have been purchased by some geocachers. Some of these are tracked on a website and passed on like travel bugs, some are just yours to keep.

'Stamps' probably refers to letterbox caches. These have a stamp inside. You take an imprint of the stamp and leave an imprint of your personal stamp.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

quote:
Originally posted by Razzoo:

I am new to the sport and I keep reading that trackers find what they call Nut# __ or geo token # or a stamp. What are these items and what do you do with them. I am just about ready to hide my own cache but I want to have all my ducks in a row before I do. Thanks - Razzoo

Those are all little subgames of geocaching.

The nuts are part of a game in Utah. The website is www.cachunuts.com.

There are lots of people who have minted their own coins too. These can be left in caches and tracked via a website. One example can be found at www.geocoins.ca.

Stamps often refer to letterboxing, which is a game alot like geocaching without a GPSr. Letterboxers make their own signature rubber stamps to sign the log book with. Some geocachers have picked up on that, and there are some geocache/letterbox hybrids. The most popular site for letterboxes in the US is www.letterboxing.org. They have lots of info there about letterboxing and stamp making.

While these are all fun things to add to a cache, none are required. Good luck hiding that first cache!

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Before (and since) Travel Bugs came out, other people have weird things that travel around. Check out the links section of the main site for info on the Monkey cache and I think on the nuts too. I've seen them somewhere, they're their own little game and I believe they are trying to collect current nuts to renumber them for a new game. Seems like they are in the southwest, maybe arizona. The monkeys are in PA. Wooden nickels have caught on in OH ... etc.

It shouldn't effect you putting out a cache. These things just might end up in your cache for people trading.

~ The Li'l Bears icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif from Lexington, KY

The Nuts and Stamps are best explained on the Cachunuts site mentioned by Mopar. The nuts are part of the AreUNuts game and the stamps is part of Stampin Fools. There is also a Just4Openers game, and occasionally a 3 Card Poker and Bingo game. Each one of these is a seperate game being played in Utah, using geocaches as a way to distribute and hunt the game pieces.

Hi Razzoo,

Sorry we didn't respond sooner Razzoo, we don't get a chance to come over and look at the forums much anymore, glad to see that Huaso's on the ball to explain the "NUTS" and all.

Razzoo please feel free to email us if you have any more questions we're always happy to welcome a new cacher into our nutty games. You can reach us at cghendricks@utah-inter.net

Also be sure to check out the new UTAG website at: www.utahgeocachers.com

The Cach-U-Nuts........Craig & Georgia

Discover Utah.......One cache at a time!

GeoTokens are simple trading items with the cachers unique logo, milestone caches, and other information on them. Spidertracks from Vernal, Ut makes up a batch for us as we need them ever since we crossed the 200 cache barrier. He numbers them for us and we leave them as a marker or trade item to place in a traditonal cache. Our next number to place is #365 for our 365th cache. If it is a virtual or locationaless cache, I keep them them and give them out to other new potential cachers as a way for the to get out information about the sport of geocaching. At this time they can not be tracked like a travel bug or a nut, but it is nice to know by E-mail where they may travel. If it is kept and collected for one own use, that is fine.