Retail GPS Waypoints?

Jpjazz

icon_razz.gifI have been following a thread that mentioned the "Tim Horton's Location Project" and was wondering if it was an effort to locate by waypoint all the Horton Franchises?

http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=4016058331&m=78760963

I have had thoughts it would be great if more retail companies would list their GPS locs. I have been compiling a list of my own, but with the proliferation of GPS equipment I would think that such outlets, especially franchises would make this info available to the public.

Does anyone know of such data by any retail chains?

icon_smile.gif

I'm not promoting any specific merchant, just the concept.

I am often frustrated that we have this technology to navigate to any point on the earth within 20 feet, however most of the population still relies on an antiquated system of streets and inconsistant numbering system.

We now see the advertising cross marketing with websites, why do not include waypoints?

Jpjazz

Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

So, if you are caching in a city you've never visited, do you use a map?

We still need that antiquidated system of streets! A GPS only tells you how to get somewhere in a straight line.

This is not the case if you use a Garmin GPS V or their Streetpilot 111. I found over 100 caches and I never looked at a map for any of them. These two gpsrs will lead you to the cache following the quickest road routes.

quote:
Originally posted by Jpjazz:

I'm not promoting any specific merchant, just the concept.

I am often frustrated that we have this technology to navigate to any point on the earth within 20 feet, however most of the population still relies on an antiquated system of streets and inconsistant numbering system.

We now see the advertising cross marketing with websites, why do not include waypoints?

You make a good point. I can type in a zip or an address on a web site and they can show me the stores in my area most times on a map. So it should not be that big of a deal converting that info out to something my GPS could use.

I have often found myself driving around near or far from home thinking "Gee there has to be a _______________ around here". But the problem I see is having the waypoints for the thing I am looking for loaded in my GPS when I am looking for it. Although I have taken to loading a bunch of different types of data files for use in ExpertGPS on my laptop and can then load the set I need from there. But I would guess most people are not going to carry around all that sort of equipment. But it is a fun idea. I would not doubt play around with it.

quote:
Originally posted by RangerRick:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

So, if you are caching in a city you've never visited, do you use a map?

We still need that antiquidated system of streets! A GPS only tells you how to get somewhere in a straight line.

This is not the case if you use a Garmin GPS V or their Streetpilot 111. I found over 100 caches and I never looked at a map for any of them. These two gpsrs will lead you to the cache following the quickest road routes.

Lets not forget that the software that is included with GPS5 and Street pilot III does not cover small cities and towns, You would have to purchase Metro Guide software and the roads and recreation product does not include point too point navigation. You will still need some kind of map at some point, even if it is a map on your GPS.

icon_razz.gif I load my Mag 330 and/or Meriplat with base maps to guide me on the surface streets. If XXX burgerplace would would make all their location coords available we could down load them ahead of time.

Software such as Streets and Destinations attempts to fill this need, but they are not close to being up to date. Maybe GC could sign an aggreement with various franchises and make them available through the site. Even Geocachers have to stuff their face and fill their tanks from time to time.

Jpjazz